ADVERTISEMENT

Question on 2-3 zone, Sobo and Newbill

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Sobo played good minutes (13) yesterday. If I am Pat Chambers, and D.J. Newbill is having trouble finding shots, I would think I would find Sobo and push the ball to Newbill to attack Sobo's area in the zone in order to use the height advantage to shoot over him and get untracked. Did anyone pay close enough attention to see what went on during those stretches? I know Collins said the players on defense did a good job knowing where Newbill was and denying him lanes, but did PSU do anything different or did the Cats do anything different in those situations. This isn't meant as a knock on Sobo; I'm more curious how that Cats may defend an attempt to create a mismatch in the defense they just started using.

This post was edited on 2/22 3:17 PM by eastbaycat99

DJ seemed to hang out either in a corner or along the baseline. Rarely was he a primary ball handler. If I was Chambers, I would have put the ball in his hands and told the rest of the team to spread out and let him create off the dribble. He was invisible most of the game.

That was one strange game plan PSU had going yesterday. Instead of findi9ng a way to get the Big Ten's top scorer into the game, he kept letting Brandon Taylor (0-for-7) crank up long threes that had little chance of going in. The zone seemed to pacify Newbill who absolutely killed us in an embarrassing home blowout loss on senior night here last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT