ADVERTISEMENT

Random observation - Illini FB recruiting

DurhamCat

Nov 6, 2004
Because there isn't much going on right now I was curious to see how the Illini were doing and I noticed their up to 19 commits...but 17 of those are on the offensive side of the ball (not including 2 ATH which could conceivably go either way)! By contrast we are 10 on D, 9 on Offense w/ 1 ATH.

I don't recall their offense being that in need (relative to their defense). Another observation...6 OL and 2 TE...that's a lot of big guys.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/football/recruiting/commitments/

A few more observations:

- Six of them are junior college transfers. That's almost one-third.

- They have eight guys already enrolled, including all of their JCs.

- Not one of their commits had an offer from NU.

Illinois and NU are very different programs right now in terms of recruiting.

I thought we had offered Megginson, but we had not. Good player.

The biggest news for us re the Illini is that Kuligowski will be staying with Missouri and not going to Champaign as the assistant D coordinator. Kuligowski has had a great run coaching the D-line at Mizzou, with guys like Kony Ealy, Sheldon Richardson, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ziggy Hood, CJ Mosely, Jacquies Smith, Michael Sam, and also Shane Ray and Markus Golden in this year's draft class.

Lou - Do you specifically mean their use of junior college transfers?

Lou, the last time Illinois went heavily into the JC route Mike White was their coach and think he got them to a Rose Bowl but also got them put on a pretty substantial probation. I have heard from a few others in the football world that he is not a very well liked individual.

Originally posted by willycat:
Lou, the last time Illinois went heavily into the JC route Mike White was their coach and think he got them to a Rose Bowl but also got them put on a pretty substantial probation. I have heard from a few others in the football world that he is not a very well liked individual.
Who? Mike White? Beckman?

The Illini need a line haul bad, hence the 3 JUCO. Megginson mught come in and start. TE also huge need

Their skills are pretty set for the next two seasons at WR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT