ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting concern

That was not really my point. Assuming Coach keeps all of these guys, they're going to be around a while yet. You point out that we don't know about Falzon, Law, RI, Pardon, Benson, Ash. Well, no crap, Coolio. Your "analysis" is hardly genius. We're talking about guys with 3 or 4 years of eligibility here. You're already concerned RI and Benson won't pan out. Great!

You keep talking about apologists. That would make you the xyzChicken Littlexyz.

Concerned? You really like putting words in my mouth. I kinda wonder if maybe you are my wife using this secret account to taunt me.

They are facts. Nobody can say what we have in RI or Benson. Are you one of those that say stars don't matter? These are two unknown quantities - could be great, horrible or anything in the middle. Might start all four years, might never see the floor. They are unknowns, not staples in the lineup. You have one known staple in 2017 - Mac.

By your own words, if you didn't have four guys, then you would worry. Well, you don't. That said, no concern the sky is falling. But a couple more strong potentials in 2017 could only improve the odds.

The facts are that Aaron Falzon averaged 8.4 ppg and 3.4 rpg. He is returning. Vic Law averaged 7.0 ppg and 4.8 rpg in his freshman year and he is returning. Pardon showed more athleticism and quickness in the post than we have seen in many seasons and will improve with more muscle and when he learns what is and what isn't a foul. But he showed an ability to play pick and roll with MacIntosh. As for Benson, he was the top big guy in Illinois and RI was projected to be an all-state contributor before he transferred to play against higher competition. Yes, Lindsey needs to be more consistent. Lumpkin has to play less minutes and Isiah Brown better put the ball in the hoop from Game 1. But almost all teams have question marks before the season.

The facts are that Aaron Falzon averaged 8.4 ppg and 3.4 rpg. He is returning. Vic Law averaged 7.0 ppg and 4.8 rpg in his freshman year and he is returning. Pardon showed more athleticism and quickness in the post than we have seen in many seasons and will improve with more muscle and when he learns what is and what isn't a foul. But he showed an ability to play pick and roll with MacIntosh. As for Benson, he was the top big guy in Illinois and RI was projected to be an all-state contributor before he transferred to play against higher competition. Yes, Lindsey needs to be more consistent. Lumpkin has to play less minutes and Isiah Brown better put the ball in the hoop from Game 1. But almost all teams have question marks before the season.

Let's quote this one for later review ;)

Concerned? You really like putting words in my mouth. I kinda wonder if maybe you are my wife using this secret account to taunt me.

They are facts. Nobody can say what we have in RI or Benson. Are you one of those that say stars don't matter? These are two unknown quantities - could be great, horrible or anything in the middle. Might start all four years, might never see the floor. They are unknowns, not staples in the lineup. You have one known staple in 2017 - Mac.

By your own words, if you didn't have four guys, then you would worry. Well, you don't. That said, no concern the sky is falling. But a couple more strong potentials in 2017 could only improve the odds.
The "stars don't matter" is more valid in FB than in BB. Fact is earlier, we were getting two stars with occasional three (about 40%) and now we are getting three star with occasional 4 (again about 40%). Will they all pan out? Who knows but I like our chances with a full star per player upgrade.

I agree with xxxChickenLittleooo that we have a lot of question marks. I think we have more than most because we know what we have with Bryant, Nate, and Sanjay. Everybody else, they're "who we thought they were" or they're improving--we don't know which.

One thing is for sure; there's no cause to hit the panic button or have a recruiting "concern" just because we have uncertainties. We would hit the panic button if we are Minnesota or Rutgers and have no 4-star recruits ready to sign and really no hope. After this season, we might be hitting the panic button if all of our question marks have negative answers and we still have nobody signed. At this point, however, panic or a "concern" is not warranted.

I agree with xxxChickenLittleooo that we have a lot of question marks. I think we have more than most because we know what we have with Bryant, Nate, and Sanjay. Everybody else, they're "who we thought they were" or they're improving--we don't know which.

One thing is for sure; there's no cause to hit the panic button or have a recruiting "concern" just because we have uncertainties. We would hit the panic button if we are Minnesota or Rutgers and have no 4-star recruits ready to sign and really no hope. After this season, we might be hitting the panic button if all of our question marks have negative answers and we still have nobody signed. At this point, however, panic or a "concern" is not warranted.

Suppose there is no difference between concern and panic button in your world... You must not play the stock market :)

Fran Franschilla, ESPN College Basketball Expert said that McIntosh looked great at the Steph Curry camp. He said NU is in good hands with Bryant as the leader. Then we are relying on Vic who Collins says is our most athletic player and a 4-star player in Falzon who scored 8.4 ppg as a frosh when he did not have a ton of shots or plays called for him. Then you have an athletic big man in Pardon and a backup big man who was only the top big man in Illinois who had 7 Big 10 offers in Benson as a backup. You have a backup PG who only set the state of Washington scoring record who hopefully can score a couple of buckets a game at NU. Then a 4 star RI who we have been told has a set of skills not seen at NU in a 6'9" player who, hopefully, can create his shot. So I am not concerned, but excited and value Chris Collins' ability to evaluate players over someone who can not figure out that NU has recruited a higher level of player at NU than in the past under Collins.

Suppose there is no difference between concern and panic button in your world... You must not play the stock market :)

It's all the same if you're starting threads to imply Collins is not recruiting well anymore or that we're flopping on the recruiting trail.

You're one in a long, long line of not-really-NU fans who like to dump their negative diarrhea on the board. At least my bud Virginia has turned over a new leaf under Collins. I'm sure you'll be a sour puss even when we make the NCAAs. You'll be complaining that we didn't make the Final Four. Let's say we make it to the NCAAs and lose in the round of 32. Then the next year, we lose in the first round. You'll be whining that we're "slipping" and that it's a major concern!

Are you just not at all familiar with Northwestern men's basketball?

It's all the same if you're starting threads to imply Collins is not recruiting well anymore or that we're flopping on the recruiting trail.

You're one in a long, long line of not-really-NU fans who like to dump their negative diarrhea on the board. At least my bud Virginia has turned over a new leaf under Collins. I'm sure you'll be a sour puss even when we make the NCAAs. You'll be complaining that we didn't make the Final Four. Let's say we make it to the NCAAs and lose in the round of 32. Then the next year, we lose in the first round. You'll be whining that we're "slipping" and that it's a major concern!

Are you just not at all familiar with Northwestern men's basketball?

Ok. You say so, it must be. Enjoy you koolaid.

While I hope we land a couple of studs in this next class, which was the basis of this thread, if we don't I look forward to rubbing your nose in it. You are a real special person.

Ok. You say so, it must be. Enjoy you koolaid.

While I hope we land a couple of studs in this next class, which was the basis of this thread, if we don't I look forward to rubbing your nose in it. You are a real special person.

Considering this recruiting class won't be on the court until 2017/18 and the jury will be out for four years after that, I guess you're willing to wait a long time.

I can't wait. Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the interpretation of my own words. Wanna get married? My wife loves that routine too.

But I find your analysis intriguing.

G: Mac. That's it. Ash - raise your hand if you are confident. Lindsey, see Ash. Oh wait, frosh savior will be the bet. Law - SF or SG or guy that got hurt and doesn't get back to pre injury levels. Who knows? 80 minutes and Mac can't play them all. Maybe Vassar returns as the next MJ...

F: Falzon - does he go up or down. Who knows? Law? You mean the savior at the off guard? How many positions can he play at once. RI - let's hope this unproven Frosh turns into the real deal. What are the statistical odds? Skelly- I can see him starting. That would be Sanjay 2.0 - new and improved, but not winning you any championships.

And then center. Pardon - of Nebraska or otherwise. Better or figured out. Benson - another pin our hopes on the unproven frosh.

So Yesterday, no we are not KY. But what stellar, standout beyond Mac do you have? You have lots of POTENTIALS. And four open spots. I think we need to hit on high ceiling recruits every year if we want to arrive on the national scene. We need another big recruit - ideally a G as we have high potential recruits at F and C and an established solid guy a G.

And if it happens, great. We have a better chance. If not, well, you apologists can start raising your abstract, consolatory arguments yet again. I want to see another landmark recruit..

Recruiting better players more often will make NU a better team? Wow. You've really hit on something here. Better alert Collins.

He was. Did you get more excited about Mac or Law in that class. Be honest. Or Lindsey or Skelly - also 3s?

Would you prefer never taking higher than a 3? Of course not. They are all lottery tickets. The more stars, the higher probability.

Agreed about the whole lottery-thing.

Based on the scuttlebutt, figured that Law had more upside based on his athleticism, but BMac was more ready to contribute right away.

Then we are relying on Vic who Collins says is our most athletic player and a 4-star player in Falzon who scored 8.4 ppg as a frosh when he did not have a ton of shots or plays called for him.

While I was high on Falzon, and he did relatively well, was disappointed in his FG% (.383%) and lack of contribution (until much later) in other areas when he wasn't hitting the 3 (in comparison, Shurna shot .466 from the field during his frosh campaign).

The word from CC has been pretty positive on Law, but he's going to have to make use of his athleticism and attack the basket (as one of the few players who has the ability to do so).

There are signs that this group is a nice assembly of talent, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Until we see it in actual games, many of the players are still ?s (aside from BMac).

Fran Franschilla, ESPN College Basketball Expert said that McIntosh looked great at the Steph Curry camp. He said NU is in good hands with Bryant as the leader. Then we are relying on Vic who Collins says is our most athletic player and a 4-star player in Falzon who scored 8.4 ppg as a frosh when he did not have a ton of shots or plays called for him. Then you have an athletic big man in Pardon and a backup big man who was only the top big man in Illinois who had 7 Big 10 offers in Benson as a backup. You have a backup PG who only set the state of Washington scoring record who hopefully can score a couple of buckets a game at NU. Then a 4 star RI who we have been told has a set of skills not seen at NU in a 6'9" player who, hopefully, can create his shot. So I am not concerned, but excited and value Chris Collins' ability to evaluate players over someone who can not figure out that NU has recruited a higher level of player at NU than in the past under Collins.

Real talented eval. Hmmm, thought lump was the leader, the heart, the soul...oh, and NU is doing pretty good despite Mac being off his game this year. Vic is most athletic? Thought it was Scottie? Well, Falzon works out this year... And Pardon so far...

Benson looks...like a rookie. One with some pretty nice potential, but just a rookie right now. Brown is far from hitting everything and not running the second unit - he is a nice complementary piece with rookie tendencies.

RI is...not playing.

The good news - not addressed in your super insightful post is that CCC and staff can coach and develop players. So, this is really looking like a good NU season...for none of the reasons you offered.

Go to bed lil Walker - it's late.

Real talented eval. Hmmm, thought lump was the leader, the heart, the soul...oh, and NU is doing pretty good despite Mac being off his game this year. Vic is most athletic? Thought it was Scottie? Well, Falzon works out this year... And Pardon so far...

Benson looks...like a rookie. One with some pretty nice potential, but just a rookie right now. Brown is far from hitting everything and not running the second unit - he is a nice complementary piece with rookie tendencies.

RI is...not playing.

The good news - not addressed in your super insightful post is that CCC and staff can coach and develop players. So, this is really looking like a good NU season...for none of the reasons you offered.

Go to bed lil Walker - it's late.

OCD

Reactions: IGNORE2
Too funny! I was quoting Collins who always praises Lumpkin as the heart and soul of the team and the glue guy. I did not say that Lumpkin and Taphorn are the obvious MVPs of the team as you did yesterday. To be an MVP, you need to be a playmaker when the game is on the line and a consistent performer. The MVPs candidates for this team are Lindsey, Law and McIntosh and the Big 10 season will sort that out.

To start a thread about minute projections for the 2017-2018, the night before the critical Big 10 season when NU has its most talented team in recent memory and has a chance to make history shows an elite level of basketball ignorance.

Reactions: mission_cat
Too funny! I was quoting Collins who always praises Lumpkin as the heart and soul of the team and the glue guy. I did not say that Lumpkin and Taphorn are the obvious MVPs of the team as you did yesterday. To be an MVP, you need to be a playmaker when the game is on the line and a consistent performer. The MVPs candidates for this team are Lindsey, Law and McIntosh and the Big 10 season will sort that out.

To start a thread about minute projections for the 2017-2018, the night before the critical Big 10 season when NU has its most talented team in recent memory and has a chance to make history shows an elite level of basketball ignorance.

Sit back lil Walker, it's just beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT