ADVERTISEMENT

Roper

I don't get it. In the games where he wasn't injured, he was averaging over 20 minutes per game and was definitely a contributor. He wasn't riding the bench.

Reactions: drewjin
Pretty surprised by this one, doesn't seem to fit into any obvious boxes (got playing time year before injury, was going to get even more next year, team had a great year, etc). Hard to imagine he has massively superior NIL opportunities elsewhere that would drive this decision. He's not even that far from his home in Detroit. Strange...

• Sad
I don't get it. In the games where he wasn't injured, he was averaging over 20 minutes per game and was definitely a contributor. He wasn't riding the bench.
It’s the new normal. It’s often not the player’s choice. I expect Illinois to lose a couple of guys who played a lot, but their parents/advisors thought they should have been more of a focus on the offense. One of them wants a bigger NIL. New world.

The key is replacing them with players who are even better in the portal.

Pretty surprised by this one, doesn't seem to fit into any obvious boxes (got playing time year before injury, was going to get even more next year, team had a great year, etc). Hard to imagine he has massively superior NIL opportunities elsewhere that would drive this decision. He's not even that far from his home in Detroit. Strange...
I hope he ends up at Oakland U. (very close to his hometown) or University of Detroit Mercy and tears it up.

It really does suck for the fans. I also am not convinced all this moving around is good for the kids either.
I think it is bad for all. I don't want my kids jumping around like that in school or their careers. Has to be extremely hard to coach in this environment. Heard recent Izzo interview where he said this could drive him out of coaching.

I think it is bad for all. I don't want my kids jumping around like that in school or their careers. Has to be extremely hard to coach in this environment. Heard recent Izzo interview where he said this could drive him out of coaching.
Oh no, God forbid the kids be able to do what’s best for them in a world where coaches move around whenever or wherever they want. And God forbid TOM IZZO get made sad as he nears the end of a long and lucrative career. Whatever is a millionaire coach to do????

He probably wants more than 20 mins per game and wouldn't get that at NU next year.

It’s the new normal. It’s often not the player’s choice. I expect Illinois to lose a couple of guys who played a lot, but their parents/advisors thought they should have been more of a focus on the offense. One of them wants a bigger NIL. New world.

So far we haven't been able to do that. Thought that might change with the reupping of CCC

Not a shock.
I thought he might leave after last season.
Could be a lot of reasons. Maybe somebody offered him some money. Maybe he's homesick (I doubt it).
Maybe he felt unappreciated.
Its too bad. He has significant upside.
Personally I would never deliberately trade 3 more years of Roper for one more year of Audige, if thats what drove the decision. If Audige isn't coming back, its even worse that Roper is leaving.

The ankle injury did not allow him to play what I believe would have been significant minutes during the push to the NCAAs.

Reactions: No Chores
Oh no, God forbid the kids be able to do what’s best for them in a world where coaches move around whenever or wherever they want. And God forbid TOM IZZO get made sad as he nears the end of a long and lucrative career. Whatever is a millionaire coach to do????
Everyone has an opinion. Mine is the portal and club basketball has pampered kids. This makes coaching and development very hard. I am friends with a former D1 player that coaches a fairly high level AU team. He said coaching has become very challenging as players know they have power. In my opinion too much at too young of an age. Call me old school.

He’s only got two seasons left and likely would not have entered next season as a starter. He does not benefit from the COVID season that’ll allow Berry to stick around for two more years.

As a guy who earned rotation minutes as a freshman, and who showed the same skills as Berry (who couldn’t shoot this season), I wish Roper would have chosen to stick around and compete for minutes, and then be in position to start as a senior.

(I also wish Roper had played fewer games and had been redshirt eligible, but whatareyagonnado?)

I’d imagine he’ll be first-team all MAC. But I wish he had waited until he earned his degree to take that step. (Toledo loses their #2 and #3 scorers, offered Roper out of high school, and plays super-fun, uptempo basketball.)

Last edited:
He’s only got two seasons left and likely would not have entered next season as a starter. He does not benefit from the COVID season that’ll allow Berry to stick around for two more years.

As a guy who earned rotation minutes as a freshman, and who showed the same skills as Berry (who couldn’t shoot this season), I wish Roper would have chosen to stick around and compete for minutes, and then be in position to start as a senior.

(I also wish Roper had played fewer games and had been redshirt eligible, but whatareyagonnado?)

I’d imagine he’ll be first-team all MAC. But I wish he had waited until he earned his degree to take that step. (Toledo loses their #2 and #3 scorers, offered Roper out of high school, and plays super-fun, uptempo basketball.)
Good point about his eligibility. He wanted a bigger role and figured it was an uphill battle at NU.

Probably does not want to sit next year.

If Chase and Boo come back. They will probably play 32 mins a game. MN is worth 32 mins a game. Lot of players for the minutes out of the last two spots.

Roper might be happier with more minutes and shots at a different school.

Probably does not want to sit next year.

If Chase and Boo come back. They will probably play 32 mins a game. MN is worth 32 mins a game. Lot of players for the minutes out of the last two spots.

Roper might be happier with more minutes and shots at a different school.
Of course, if Boo and Chase don’t come back now, we’re screwed

I hope he ends up at Oakland U. (very close to his hometown) or University of Detroit Mercy and tears it up.
Oakland I can see it. They play fast, they are fun, if they get on a roll people show up. Detroit? I really hope not. Terrible coach, playing in front of 100 people.

My instinct is this means Audige and Buie will be back. Roper played more when Barnhizer was not the force he ended the year as. He wants more minutes than he figures he will get next year. He wants to be more of a focal point of the team. Therefore, he will not go to a power conference team, he will end up at a mid major.

New normal.

That's too bad. He would have been helpful.

I'm glad these guys now have options. But at some point in this evolution, I hope the conventional wisdom of these ballplayers begins to better understand the value of staying vs. program hopping. For example, Beran vs Nance.

But I also understand how someone needs to find out if they have the chance to max their abilities.

Lastly, I wish this didn't happen so soon after spring break. I can only imagine how many people were in his ear.

He wants to be more of a focal point of the team.
I don't really see that as his mindset, but, of course, we don't know him so we're guessing.

I always thought of him as a defense-first type of player.
Gritty. Excellent rebounder for his size (the kid can really jump).
Good player in the paint, good passer in the paint. Athletic.
Reluctant shooter but made a reasonably high percentage of his shots.
In short, he seemed ideal for our (Collins) newfound approach to basketball.
With a lot of upside if he started looking for his shot.

Disappointed he decided to leave. I think his ceiling was pretty high.

Our guard situation becomes thinner than my hairline
Thin is an exaggeration. I love Roper's enthusiasm and this bums me out. I don't know what Roper hopes to find but leaving 20-25 minutes a game on the table in a program that if things break their way could end up in the Top 5 in conference with a shot to make a run in the tourney seems to be a guy looking for something he might not find.

Give us Shannon and we’ll call it even.

My instinct is this means Audige and Buie will be back. Roper played more when Barnhizer was not the force he ended the year as. He wants more minutes than he figures he will get next year. He wants to be more of a focal point of the team. Therefore, he will not go to a power conference team, he will end up at a mid major.
I agree with the first sentence, but not the last. He think he ends up in a power conference. He has shown ability and would have surely played more if not for injuries.

Reactions: cats_man_too
I agree with the first sentence, but not the last. He think he ends up in a power conference. He has shown ability and would have surely played more if not for injuries.

Well I hope he at least transfers out of conference but then again, given our record against IU since Kopp, I might take that as well.

Reactions: JournCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT