ADVERTISEMENT

Sea Bass

Finished 3rd at the B1G Championships. Should have stayed at NU.

I wonder if he has the strength for his new weight class. We’ll see if he redeems himself at the Nationals. BTW, I don’t blame him for taking his last eligible year at RU. He got his degree from NU and has always been a vocal advocate for NJ..... Of course, I may be a bit biased in my opinion here.🙄....

I wonder if he has the strength for his new weight class. We’ll see if he redeems himself at the Nationals. BTW, I don’t blame him for taking his last eligible year at RU. He got his degree from NU and has always been a vocal advocate for NJ..... Of course, I may be a bit biased in my opinion here.🙄....
He looked great last weekend

A guy who repped us so well and graduated and wanted to wrestle at home for one final year? Especially a crazy COVID year? Makes sense to me. Just sad he didn't get to have his shot at NCAAs last year wearing Purple.
Seebass looked absolutely amazing against Lee from PSU! I think Rivera is technically the best wrestler in college right now! Hope he wrestles next year too

Seebass looked absolutely amazing against Lee from PSU! I think Rivera is technically the best wrestler in college right now! Hope he wrestles next year too
There was consensus by the experts on "Flo Wrestling"
that the Rivera-Lee match was the best one of the entire tournament. Could easily have gone either way. Will most likely see a rematch this weekend.

Reactions: Titanium999
There was consensus by the experts on "Flo Wrestling"
that the Rivera-Lee match was the best one of the entire tournament. Could easily have gone either way. Will most likely see a rematch this weekend.

Looks like he lost again. That red is hideous.

"The much-anticipated rematch between Lee and Rivera played out similarly to their first meeting two weeks ago. Lee, Penn State’s second-seeded 141-pounder, used a late takedown and back points to seal an 9-3 win over Rutgers’ third-seeded Rivera in the semifinal round of the NCAA Championships on Friday night."

Looks like he lost again. That red is hideous.

"The much-anticipated rematch between Lee and Rivera played out similarly to their first meeting two weeks ago. Lee, Penn State’s second-seeded 141-pounder, used a late takedown and back points to seal an 9-3 win over Rutgers’ third-seeded Rivera in the semifinal round of the NCAA Championships on Friday night."

Rivera was likely the best wrestler in college this year. But he was at the wrong,heavier weight,cuz he didn't want to diet. Congrats to a 4x All American and 2 time Big Ten 👏🙌👍Champ.

Reactions: CatFanEd
Should have stayed at NU. Sounds like he was coached/counseled properly.
Had already graduated and wanted to be closer to home during Covid. His father was his best workout partner. I agree that he should have stayed at 133. Looked small for the weight. It will be interesting to see his next moves, Has qualified for the Olympics for Puerto Rico. Back to Rutgers? MMA? He is a very talented athlete.

Reactions: No Chores
Rivera lost in the last few seconds to the eventual national champ at the BT Tournament in what everyone says was the best match of the weekend. Sebastion is an unbelievable wrestler and would have won BIg Ten s at 33! The kid he beat for the title last year at BTs won nationals at 33! Bravo Young from Penn State.
We have an amazing light weight coach in Jimmy Kennedy who was a world class wrestler. Plain and simple, Rivera didn't diet properly.
There is Noone in the country that can compete with Rivera, especially on his feet. He is too big to cut to Olympic weight of 57 kilos and would get obliterated at the higher weight of 65kilos.

Rivera lost in the last few seconds to the eventual national champ at the BT Tournament in what everyone says was the best match of the weekend. Sebastion is an unbelievable wrestler and would have won BIg Ten s at 33! The kid he beat for the title last year at BTs won nationals at 33! Bravo Young from Penn State.
We have an amazing light weight coach in Jimmy Kennedy who was a world class wrestler. Plain and simple, Rivera didn't diet properly.
There is Noone in the country that can compete with Rivera, especially on his feet. He is too big to cut to Olympic weight of 57 kilos and would get obliterated at the higher weight of 65kilos.
Given the US strength at 57 and 65 his only hope was the Puerto Rico route where he qualified at 57 which is probably out of the question at this point unless he starts cutting and training hard. I don't think the rules would allow him to jump to 65 for Puerto Rico (?} so more than likely it is back to Rutgers (133) or MMA or retire.

Given the US strength at 57 and 65 his only hope was the Puerto Rico route where he qualified at 57 which is probably out of the question at this point unless he starts cutting and training hard. I don't think the rules would allow him to jump to 65 for Puerto Rico (?} so more than likely it is back to Rutgers (133) or MMA or retire.
Agreed. MMA is for crazy people. Besides being a Big Ten wrestler,I had 30 plus fights in the ring and was a 3x Chicago Park District Boxing Finalist. One time champ. I beat two Open Golden Glove Champs when I was 15. Quite simply, I was a much better boxer than wrestler and I took fifth in the Illinois Open Wrestling tournament which was all collegiate wrestlers and graduates. I did this as a frosh at Northwestern.
Both Wrestling and boxing,along with MMA,are quite barbaric sports. Lots of cheating at the highest levels. High risk of long term injury. Quite frankly, it is very,very, high risk.

Agreed. MMA is for crazy people. Besides being a Big Ten wrestler,I had 30 plus fights in the ring and was a 3x Chicago Park District Boxing Finalist. One time champ. I beat two Open Golden Glove Champs when I was 15. Quite simply, I was a much better boxer than wrestler and I took fifth in the Illinois Open Wrestling tournament which was all collegiate wrestlers and graduates. I did this as a frosh at Northwestern.

Both Wrestling and boxing,along with MMA,are quite barbaric sports. Lots of cheating at the highest levels. High risk of long term injury. Quite frankly, it is very,very, high risk.
In my opinion, Rivera would get smoked in MMA. I smoked one of Chicago 's best boxers,a golden glove Open Champion 🏆because I had the absolute best body type for boxing. Lean and strong. This guy was short and stout,like Rivera. The guy did not land one solid punch on me in the championship bout for the City of Chicago.
That being said,my lean body was not ideal for wrestling. My teammate at Northwestern, who had a similar body type as Rivera,smoked me 22-6 in the wrestle off for a varsity spot my junior year. I actually tied him once in a fluke practice match. But,he would utterly destroy me every single time we practiced. His name is Steve Depetro. Depetro was every bit as good as Rivera and was a two time All American, finishing third,like Rivera.

Depetro was one of a handful of college wrestlers that beat the crap out of me. I was barely able to walk off the mat after losing to 4x AA,Joe McFarland of Michigan. In that match,I was only down by a point or two with 30 seconds left in the match.

Boxing, Wrestling and MMA present a host of other issues for Rivera. Including the very dangerous sport of kickboxing. All very,very high risk and, IMHO, very unsuitable for a guy like Rivera. Who,with a short,stocky build, will get destroyed in MMA,by much more hungrier and leaner fighers.

Here is a video of Golden Glove Open Champion Glen Campos from LaFollate Park in Chicago. He is the white kid. I beat him at the Boston Ballroom the year before in front of a couple hundred screaming fans on 26th and California in 1978. The crowd was yelling "Mahalo! MATALO"! I asked my coach what they were screaming. He said,Kill him! Kill him! The crowd threw money 💰in the ring,which was traditional after a great boxing match. Glen and I got to keep the money. Glen and I were friends and trained and traveled together.
Glen's brother was an Open Golden Glove Champ too. And much,much better than both of us. He was near our weight and would knock out most people.
The writing was on the wall. I quit boxing around that time. But,be clear, I would destroy a guy like Rivera in boxing. Just as Rivera would destroy me on wrestling. Apples and oranges

I actually beat two Golden Glove Open Champs. Glenn Campos was lean,like me. The guy I mentioned in the thread was short and stocky. I don't remember his last name.

Here is the bio of the boxer Glen Campos beat I'm 1979. He was the USA Representative and lost to the Olympic guy from Poland. True Story. Wrassler was always a better boxer than Wrassler. My goal is to make the top 100vin the world rankings next year for age 60 and above. I have been training for past 9 months. And getting closer. I beat the top five ranked tennis 🎾pro Steve Hess a few weeks ago. I was up 3-0 on him. Steve has a 6.8 UTR and was ranked 7.4 last year. A 7.4 UTR would likely get me ranked in top 150-200. I can do it. I just need practice and to heal a hamstring injury. I have been playing injured and getting beat by high school girls and boys lately. Tennis is a dogfight. Im not there yet. Got to fix my forehand.

Didn't realize this till now. I think Hudson beat Campos in 79. I think Glen Campos won novice Golden Glove championship in 78. Gil won Open in 79

Didn't realize this till now. I think Hudson beat Campos in 79. I think Glen Campos won novice Golden Glove championship in 78. Gil won Open in 79
I was under the assumption that this post is about Rivera??? Congrats on all of your past successes however. Sounds like you did many different things successfully.

Seebass wants to do MMA! Rivera trains with his father and they both helped train MMA star Frankie Edgar! I just think MMA is a barbaric sport. Just Google quickest mma knockout ever. The guy getting knocked out was a 2x ncaa champ Ben Askren who beat Jake Herbert in ncaa finals and was way better than Rivera. Asked was a 4x ncaa Finalist. Rivera never made one final.
There is absolutely nothing glorious about human suffering. I only post on here for the grace of God. There go I, but for the grace of God. I'm lucky to be alive as there is so much cheating going on and people suffering.
True story. One weekend, my teammate at NU got his knee torn out wrestling Iowa. His name was Mike Power. I was second string. We had a match a few days later. They called the third string wrestler,Danny Anderson, who never beat me to go out to Iowa. He tore his knee out also. Both careers over in one weekend. Crazy.
Both sports, boxing and wrestling are fun when you are young. Under 14. After that,way,way too much risk. Especially I'm this day and age where you live to 90! The ncaa champ,Spencer Lee wrestled with two torn ACLs.

Nearly all the guys mentioned here are on my Facebook. Iron sharpens Iron. Brotherhood of sorts. We tell stories all the time

There is no glory in causing human misery. Sports can be fun,if done the correct me. The Big Ten does things right! Lots of fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT