ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for Illinois vs. NU

I am not sure if it would be better for my health to just turn this off now. Is it better to just not see any of this?
If the team doesn’t show up for the second half, I don’t see why we should be expected to.

There have been some bad NU teams in my decades of watching this team. This is not a bad team.

that said, I agree with those who are calling it the worst half of basketball they’ve ever seen. EVERYTHING is bad.

Turnovers is what is killing this game
Chicken and egg thing.

If we scored another 43 in the 2nd half we’d probably win regardless.

If we allowed another 28 we’d probably win regardless.

Neither invalidates the defense switching argument.

Neither invalidates that ultimately we end this embarrassed

Haven't been watching the second half. Where is our boy Young? Audige has no business with the ball in his hand. Bad decisions.
Our starting lineup was not what got us up in the 1st half. And in the 2nd it was the lineup that allowed IL to jump us inthe first 5 minutes.

Young and others came in. Momentum had changed. And when IL was missing Cockburn was collecting offensive rebounds

Reactions: drewjin
NU had a HUGE buffer to overcome an Illinois run. They allowed it to get to a point where the Illini felt they could do no wrong. Awful, awful, awful. Illinois started playing with swagger, slapping the floor, and it was over.

I switched to the Hallmark Channel Movies & Mysteries.
I turned it off a while back to save my sanity. I do not understand this team. It has too much talent to play this poorly. I just don’t get it.

I turned it off a while back to save my sanity. I do not understand this team. It has too much talent to play this poorly. I just don’t get it.
That usually means they’re not actually that talented, or they’re poorly coached...

I really don’t get why we have players who don’t play under control.

When Illannoys was down double digits, Underwood was not letting them accept it. Collins meanwhile stands by and watches the meltdown, arms crossed.

• Angry
I guess it’s all Collins’s fault. Cockburn, Ayo, Miller and Williams’s shooting have nothing to do with it.
Losing a half 53-13 is not just because the other team played well. Losing a half like that is almost impossible to do and everyone on the team including coaches needs to look in the mirror because that was simply awful and unacceptable. No toughness at all. They gave up a 20 minute run.

Losing a half 53-13 is not just because the other team played well. Losing a half like that is almost impossible to do and everyone on the team including coaches needs to look in the mirror because that was simply awful and unacceptable. No toughness at all. They gave up a 20 minute run.
Yep. We are a soft team. And that begins at the top.

You forgot the sarcasm font.
No sarcasm at all. I think the Cats have considerable talent. Kopp is great, Beran has a ton of talent but is still putting it all together in conference play. I think Nance shows these great flashes but then he disappears for huge stretches (or worse, forces it). I like Young a lot too, perfect in his role and pretty sound.

Boo is the poison pill. And Audige is getting way, way too much usage on the offensive end.

Time to kick all of these so-called players out of school.

No sarcasm at all. I think the Cats have considerable talent. Kopp is great, Beran has a ton of talent but is still putting it all together in conference play. I think Nance shows these great flashes but then he disappears for huge stretches (or worse, forces it). I like Young a lot too, perfect in his role and pretty sound.

Boo is the poison pill. And Audige is getting way, way too much usage on the offensive end.
A lot less of Audige would be good. very good! need areal 7 foot center, nota gut who can' jump.

Reactions: GatoLouco

You seriously think NU has comparable talent to any of the big ten teams they have played this far? Which NU player starts for the Fighting Undies? Probably Nance.

A lot less of Audige would be good. very good! need areal 7 foot center, nota gut who can' jump.

Could not agree more. Audige needs to spend a lot more time on the bench. And other teams love to have centers out there. We give ours 13 min a game and put a pretend center on the court

Reactions: willycat
You seriously think NU has comparable talent to any of the big ten teams they have played this far? Which NU player starts for the Fighting Undies? Probably Nance.
Anyone saying we have as much talent as Illinois is as silly as you blaming that 2nd half on talent alone. Getting outscored by 40 in a half is way more than a talent issue.

I guess it’s all Collins’s fault. Cockburn, Ayo, Miller and Williams’s shooting have nothing to do with it.
He could have tossed a chair, got All red assed like Underwood. Did the hockey line change. Well, close we only play 9 players. Switched the D, six times over. Took out the players turning it over every trip down the floor, wait, wouldn’t have enough players though. None of that accounts for the team not having comparable talent and not having that mean SOB that knocks a few players on their ass when they are on double digit runs.

Reactions: willycat
He could have tossed a chair, got All red assed like Underwood. Did the hockey line change. Well, close we only play 9 players. Switched the D, six times over. Took out the players turning it over every trip down the floor, wait, wouldn’t have enough players though. None of that accounts for the team not having comparable talent and not having that mean SOB that knocks a few players on their ass when they are on double digit runs.
He called an early timeout when they scored a quick 8. He put bench players in. Those seem right moves.

But he did not put Young on Cockburn while switching to man for example. He did not exhausted all his timeouts if he had to, because it was that bad. He did not have an enforcer causing a scuffle to try to change some momentum. After the timeout and lineup change it seemed like deer in headlights to me

Anyone saying we have as much talent as Illinois is as silly as you blaming that 2nd half on talent alone. Getting outscored by 40 in a half is way more than a talent issue.
Where did I say it was on talent alone?

I did say we were in trouble before the tip, that wasn’t predicated on the Coaching match up.

Here’s a newsflash, the team with the most talent generally wins in basketball. There is a reason you see the Big three star arrangements in the NBA. Stars win, teams with good talent and no real stars does not consistently win.

Of course, we shouldn’t lose by 40 in a half to the 96 Bulls, but when do people actually start holding players accountable too? All I see if the same predictable BS of The high and lows of a season.

He called an early timeout when they scored a quick 8. He put bench players in. Those seem right moves.

But he did not put Young on Cockburn while switching to man for example. He did not exhausted all his timeouts if he had to, because it was that bad. He did not have an enforcer causing a scuffle to try to change some momentum. After the timeout and lineup change it seemed like deer in headlights to me
This is all true. I certainly can’t fault anyone for criticism of CCC that he didn’t try to do more. Honestly, you could tell 3 minutes into that half that NU was in big trouble. I am just not convinced that ANYTHING he could have done would have stopped that Tsunami.

My personal prediction before the season was 5-6 big ten wins. That is we’re the talent is this year. Maybe next year is 10 wins. That is where our talent is. If we exceed 6 wins, IMO that exceeds our comparative talent level. If we win 3 we underperformed our talent level.

Time for Admissions to lighten up or Nu can join the Ivy league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT