ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Second official visit weekend set

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
2023 Official Visitors l 2023 Commitments

The guest list for Northwestern’s second official visit is set and we know one thing: it won’t be anything like the first one.

The Wildcats will welcome six official visitors on June 3-5 – four prospects and two commitments – as they look to put some finishing touches on a 2023 class that is currently ranked fifth in the nation.

Northwestern’s first official visit weekend may have been the best of all time. The Wildcats hosted 13 uncommitted official visitors on May 13-15 and they’ve already landed nine of them, with one more reportedly on the way.

Don’t expect those kinds of fireworks this time around; though Northwestern hopes that they might come close to the conversion rate they did in May.

After already landing eight lineman in the 2023 class – four on each side of the ball – it’s not surprising that the uncommitted prospects on campus this time will be skill position guys. Three of the four play offense, as 10 of the 16 already on board are defenders.

Here is the guest list that WildcatReport has confirmed with sources:

Prospects

Commitments

I also confirmed that three linemen who were originally scheduled to come in this weekend will not be making the trip. They are DLs Darold Dengohe and Eric Gardner Jr., and offensive lineman Josh Gregory. Their scholarship slots have already been filled and are no longer available. Gregory told me that he would be taking an official visit to Cincinnati this weekend instead.

The headliner of the official group is no doubt Jenkins, a four-star running back whose 29-school offer list includes Florida, Florida State, LSU, Oregon and Penn State. WildcatReport is already on record with a Northwestern forecast for Jenkins, but his high-profile visits and release of a Top 12 since he was in Evanston in early April has given us some pause.

There may only be two official visitor commitments in this weekend’s group, but both told me that they will be doing some recruiting while they are on campus. I asked Knox if he will be focused on anyone in particular and he didn’t hesitate talking about Jenkins.

“I’ll definitely be productive in speaking with all that I can and try to get them to NU but I’m really looking forward to speaking with Parker Jenkins, RB out of Texas,” he said. “Need a great back in this class to come run behind this dominant OL class we are bringing in.”

Jenkins won’t be the only target, though. Senda, who is active on social media with a lot of Northwestern prospects, said that he will be looking to add players to what could be a historic class for the program.

“Yes very excited about the OV!” he said, making sure to end every sentence in his DM with an exclamation point. “Definitely planning on continuing to recruit! Need to continue the successful NU class of 2023!”

It looks like Northwestern is going after at least one more wide receiver and Ahumaraeze is their No. 1 target. The staff likes Ahumaraeze’s size at 6-foot-4, and he and the already committed 6-foot-2 Frank Covey IV would give the Cats some tall targets on the outside. Ahumareze has visited Kansas twice and Iowa once among his five offers, and this will be his first official visit.

However, I also learned that the Wildcats are still working on three-star North Carolina prospect Nathan Leacock, so the WR situation is still fluid. Krystian Williams is also still in the picture, though, as I reported earlier, he may be more of a Plan B option.

The Wildcats could take two tight ends in this class. Chico Holt, who goes to the same Houston high school (Strake Jesuit) that produced current Wildcat TE Thomas Gordon, is one of the four official visitors in May who has yet to pull the trigger. He’s picked up an offer from Texas since then and it’s not known how close he is to a decision.

Magee is the TE target on this visit. The 6-foot-6, 210-pounder, who is listed as a wide receiver by Rivals, has two officials set, to NU and Vanderbilt, over the next two weekends. He also visited Miami this spring.

WildcatReport wrote about Sanford last week. While Northwestern thinks he could play either safety or cornerback, it will likely come down to him or Smith Snowden for one last defensive back spot. Four DBs are already on board.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News