ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis Thinks Northwestern's Basketball Future is Bright

ohiovalleycat

Oct 7, 2007
Seth Davis is high on NU Basketball. Seems to think a trip to the Big Dance is in next few years:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/video/2015/02/20/seth-davis-its-only-matter-time-northwestern

https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/status/429722910258135040

https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/status/567086966639177729

I think next year. Olah needs to take the next step and play tougher. The freshman need to physically develop and I wonder if Falzon and Pardon will have the bulk to handle the big ten's toughness. We're so close, it's right there.

Let's try and finish above .500 on the season first. I love boundless optimism and practice it often, but we'll still be finishing the season with double digit losses in conference. Next year we'll still be young and probably relying on at least a couple of freshmen.

Olah is playing much better on defense. blocking everything. The zone has kept him in the middle instead of out there at the pick and roll line.

Parallel with 1999 Illinois team?

For those of you who have been following Big Ten basketball a while...I believe that there are parallels that can be drawn between our team this season and the 1998-99 Illinois team.

That Illinois team was led in scoring by a freshman guard (Cory Bradford) and a junior guard (Cleotis Brown). Four freshmen played pretty heavy minutes--and there were basically no seniors in the rotation.

The team suffered through many single digit losses throughout the season, including a 2 pt loss to #14 MSU, 3 pt loss to #15 OSU, OT loss to #20 Indiana, 6 pt loss to #20 Iowa, 7 pt loss to #21 Purdue and so on.

Despite going 3-13 in the Big Ten and coming into the BTT as the last-place 11 seed, it seemed that Illini team was playing well and their freshmen were no longer playing like freshmen. As the 11 seed, the Illini proceeded to knock off three consecutive Top 25 teams and made it all the way to the Finals of the BTT (where they lost against Michigan State).

Even with the BTT run, the Illini finished 14-18...with no invitation to the NIT.

The next season (1999-200), Illinois added more super freshmen (esp. Frank Williams and Brian Cooke) to the mix, finished 4th in the Big Ten and made the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament!

--

I concede that our recent lift in recruiting is probably not on par with the talent level of Marcus Griffin, Frank Williams, Cory Bradford, Sergio McClain and Brian Cooke.

But I believe that it's entirely possible that we could make a BIG jump and vie for a spot in the Tournament next season. But before getting ahead of myself... I can't wait to see how our current team attacks these last two weeks of the regular season plus the Big Ten Tournament! They have nothing to lose!

This post was edited on 2/22 11:17 PM by backdoorpass

One of the nice things about hiring a Duke assistant is that we'll get this stuff from Seth Davis and people like him from now until the day Collins leaves the program, whether in glory or defeat.

And I'm not being sarcastic -- national attention is a 100% positive thing.

Re: Parallel with 1999 Illinois team?

Geez, remember when Cory Bradford was a skinny freshman? My gosh, that UofI win at the end of the season (I don't recall if Bradford ended the season at Welsh-Ryan, or if it was Minnesota's Quincy Lewis, but both took part in ruining the stretch run) was just crushing.

Bradford was so good as a frosh - then became obsessed with that three point record and became a standup shooter by the time he left. (And truthfully, maybe he was just so good that afternoon at W-R.)

Eeeeeeeeeee... Bad memories...

All that said - the parallels are interesting.

Originally posted by realcatfan:
I think next year. Olah needs to take the next step and play tougher. The freshman need to physically develop and I wonder if Falzon and Pardon will have the bulk to handle the big ten's toughness. We're so close, it's right there.
Olah is playing to his strength in the 2-3 zone.

Falzon is listed at 220 and Pardon at 230 and they have a year to gain strength (and hopefully grow some).

Considering that Skelly was listed at 215 as a commit and is now able to handle back-up duty at the 5, think Falzon and Pardon will be fine (as it is, they both have already have B1G bulk; now whether they are used to/can handle the physical play is another question).

Seth Davis has been high on us for years. He's also a bad-luck charm. In recent years, whenever we go on a run and he starts talking about us potentially making the tournament that year if we keep playing well, we then lose a few games in spectacular fashion. Fortunately, this year he's not talking about us potentially making the tourney this year, so his positivity can do less damage.

I'd like to see us make the tourney before they expand it yet again. Dont want to be "only team never to make the field of 64/68"

Originally posted by Styre:
One of the nice things about hiring a Duke assistant is that we'll get this stuff from Seth Davis and people like him from now until the day Collins leaves the program, whether in glory or defeat.

And I'm not being sarcastic -- national attention is a 100% positive thing.
Benoit is correct.

Davis has been saying this since the Juice/Shurna yrs.

And yes, let's see if the 'Cats can have a winning season and at the very least make the NIT next season.

Step by step.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT