ADVERTISEMENT

Skelly

realcatfan

Dec 2, 2014
I've been very impressed by a few passes that Skelly has made in the last two game. He seems to see the floor very well and isn't afraid to make a pass to a cutter. I think he'll start seeing some more time at the 4 once Pardon comes in as the back up 5. I see Falzon starting with Skelly coming in as a bruising 4 and Taphorn as a shooting stretch 4.

PG: McIntosh, Ash, Vassar
SG: Ash, Demps, Lindsey
SF: Law OR Lindsey, Taphorn
PF: Falzon Power 4: Lumpkin, Skelly, Stretch 4 Taphorn
C: Olah, Pardon, Skelly

Yes, I'm still bring in Demps off the bench and starting Ash, but I'm splitting the minutes McIntosh 30, Demps 30, Ash 20. I think this team could be very good. Skelly, Law, and Lindsey are only going to get stronger, and we're currently watching their confidence soar. Next year, they should take a huge step. McIntosh may be the best player on the team already. He'll be better next year and more physical. I don't see a great leap for Olah and Demps but they're pretty solid building blocks. My biggest concern is if Pardon and Falzon will be physically ready for physical nature of the league. If they are, we're going to be tourney.

I think you're spot on with your analysis. Don't forget about the potential 5th year transfer from Va Tech...if we are so fortunate to land him, he could provide even more depth up front while taking some of the pressure off Pardon allowing him an additional year to develop.

12 deep never happens in a rotation. Kentucky is upper limit running 10 legit. At this point, with everything evolving each game:

PG - Mac, Vasser or Demps
SG - Ash (assuming ready - if not, Lindsey), Demps
SF - Law and Lindsey
PF - Taphorn (until earned away by), Falzon
C - Olah, Skelly

That's still running 9-10 deep w/o Pardon. I hear those saying Pardon plays, but who sits? Skelly and Tap have earned their minutes. Lumpkin already outside looking in. And if we are able to land that big guy from VT, slIde him into Falzon's spot, right?

Does anyone here believed we rotate 12 without injuries?

I'd think the VT transfer would take Pardon out of the rotation, not Falzon. I'd be shocked if Falzon doesn't contribute next year. He's too good of a shooter to sit.

Skelly and Tap have earned their minutes.
Yet our second leading scorer (by .1 ppg) has been relegated to 2nd or possibly 3rd string guard? And behind guys who haven't yet stepped foot on campus or can barely get off the bench this season?

Without taking anything away from the other guys, let's just say that I expect Demps to start and play most of the minutes at SG next season.

Originally posted by xyzbobxyz:
12 deep never happens in a rotation. Kentucky is upper limit running 10 legit. At this point, with everything evolving each game:

PG - Mac, Vasser or Demps
SG - Ash (assuming ready - if not, Lindsey), Demps
SF - Law and Lindsey
PF - Taphorn (until earned away by), Falzon
C - Olah, Skelly

That's still running 9-10 deep w/o Pardon. I hear those saying Pardon plays, but who sits? Skelly and Tap have earned their minutes. Lumpkin already outside looking in. And if we are able to land that big guy from VT, slIde him into Falzon's spot, right?

Does anyone here believed we rotate 12 without injuries?
More like -

PG - BMac, Demps, Vassar
SG - Demps, Lindsey/Ash
SF - Law, Lumpkin, Tap
PF - Skelly/Falzon, Tap
C - Olah, Skelly/Pardon

Now, this is based on the assumption that the 3 incoming fresh have the combination of physical talent and skills to contribute, but if the 'Cats land that big transfer, can see CC tempted to RS Pardon.

Lumpkin will be switched to the other F position as is more suitable his size.
Tap will be the shooter at either F spot.

Skelly will play a combo of C/PF depending on match-ups and how ready Pardon is and/or if land the transfer.

The 'Cats already go 9-deep and would be 10-deep if Cobb returns and can w/ some decent functionality, so going 10-12 deep wouldn't be a problem aside from some players not getting as many minutes (as long as all those players can play competitively).

Now, asking all 3 of the incoming frosh to be contributors may be asking too much as the odds are usually against that happening, but right now, there are 4 frosh getting minutes (but maybe Vassar doesn't quite develop enough for next season and one of the incoming frosh needs some seasoning - so a 10-deep rotation is maybe more likely just based on the odds).

This is also w/ Kreisberg who was serviceable no longer getting any signif time - maybe due to the switch to the 2-3 zone and Skelly doing well w/ the minutes he has been given (aside from Skelly being a bit more athletic and hence, a diff. look at center than Kreisberg , CC is probably also looking to next season in getting Skelly game experience).

This post was edited on 2/22 1:31 AM by Katatonic

Let me ask the board something.

Skelly has thrown some passes the last two or three game out of the high post that have blown me away.

He sees the entire court and makes good, instantaneous decisions and the passes are bullett-like, right on the money.

These have terrific passes....correct?....not just "nice."

Katatonic,

There are a few things I see differently. First, Cobb is out of eligibility. Secondly, one of the things that people are forgetting is that the wins have been correlated with one particular player who is not a star but does a lot of things well and opens up opportunities for everyone and that is Nate Taphorn. He has a good shot and this helps open things up underneath and he makes good decisions in passing the ball in when we are pressed and has a decent handle and can bring the ball up the court. As far as next year, this is what I see.

PG: McIntosh, Vassar
SG: Demps, Ash, Lindsey
SF: Taphorn/Law, Falzon
PF: Falzon, Skelly/Lumpkin
C: Olah, Skelly/Pardon

Now this will change if Van Zegeren comes in as he will likely start but Taphorn will play a fair bit as he seems to help the team in some obvious and non-obvious ways and would even say he may be our secret MVP of the year. As far as stars, McIntosh will be playing professionally when all is said and done and Law if he continues to improve has a shot as well but that may be presumptuous as this point.

If Amin or Nichols come, it will be difficult to see where there PT will be but if they are good enough then they will be in the hunt for PT (self evident comment I know).

I am really curious what everyone sees in Vassar. He is 12th on a 12 man squad this season. I think it will take at least another year of practice until CC has enough confidence in him to put him in the regular rotation.

I agree about Vassar. Unless there is some remarkable improvement between his freshman and sophomore year, I don't see him getting serious minutes at the backup point. I'd look for Demps or Ash to spell BMac at the point.

Clearly you missed the YouTube videos of Vassar dunking in high school that marked him out as the next Derrick Rose.

If you've got a true point guard, a true 'extension of your coaching staff', on a club, that guy is going to get 32-38 mpg, period. (Kentucky, perhaps, the only exception.) NU has that true point guard, probably for 3+ more years.

To get serious minutes behind a point guard like that, you need the skills to play or defend the two, because that true point guard is *never* going to be off the ball. Vasser, it would seem, does not fit that bill and, barring injury, I expect to see him cap out at 10 mpg for his career, max.

Ash, it would seem, is the type of guy who can spell at the 1 and play/defend at the 2. It would seem to me he *could* be in line for 10-20 minutes in that role next year (though, truth be told, I expect Demps to backup the 1 next year, with Lindsey or Ash at the 2.)

Fact is, barring injury, NU has its point guard position locked down until 2017-18.

Vasser was a late-in-the-game recruiting flyer taken by the NU staff who, rightfully, was confident that Mac would be the guy and Vasser could be useful in spurts. Vasser has a potential to contribute in his career, but the likelihood is far smaller today than it was when fall practice began last October.
Mac has taken the position and owned it; this was the plan, of course.

Just for fun

1: Mac, Demps
2: Demps, Ash/Lindsey
3: Taphorn, Law, Lindsey
4: Law, Falzon, Lumpkin
5: Olah, Pardon, Skelly

I have no idea if this makes sense. I suspect that Law will get the max minutes of the forwards. As with any young team, mpg will be highly variable.

Originally posted by catcrazy:
Katatonic,

There are a few things I see differently. First, Cobb is out of eligibility. Secondly, one of the things that people are forgetting is that the wins have been correlated with one particular player who is not a star but does a lot of things well and opens up opportunities for everyone and that is Nate Taphorn. He has a good shot and this helps open things up underneath and he makes good decisions in passing the ball in when we are pressed and has a decent handle and can bring the ball up the court. As far as next year, this is what I see.

PG: McIntosh, Vassar
SG: Demps, Ash, Lindsey
SF: Taphorn/Law, Falzon
PF: Falzon, Skelly/Lumpkin
C: Olah, Skelly/Pardon

Now this will change if Van Zegeren comes in as he will likely start but Taphorn will play a fair bit as he seems to help the team in some obvious and non-obvious ways and would even say he may be our secret MVP of the year. As far as stars, McIntosh will be playing professionally when all is said and done and Law if he continues to improve has a shot as well but that may be presumptuous as this point.

If Amin or Nichols come, it will be difficult to see where there PT will be but if they are good enough then they will be in the hunt for PT (self evident comment I know).

When I meant by when Cobb returns, I meant (hopefully) for the last 4 gms so he can end his NU career on a high note; so w/ Cobb, the current team would be going 10 deep, so next season going 10-11 deep wouldn't be that much of a diff.

I really like what Tap has shown and thought that some were writing him off way too early (some of that, I suspect, due to who had recruited him).

The only reason why I placed his name last is b/c I see him splitting his time btwn both F positions as the outside threat (Falzon, if he holds up to his HS play, while an outside threat also should be able to bang a bit in the inside as well) - and not a reflection of his importance/ability to contribute.

While it would depend on matchups and the opposing defensive scheme, I would say that CC would probably align the pairing so that Tap is paired w/ Law, Lumpkin or Skelly; tho at times, we might very well see a Tap and Falzon pairing - which should be fun to see the 2 light it up from the outside.

Vassar has a lot of upside, but until we see concrete evidence in improvement of his skills, would not place him as the back-up PG.

When BMac is out, think we'll see Demps handle bringing up the ball up court and he surprised me a bit w/ the job he did against Minny's aggressive D.

While I like what we have been hearing about Ash, again, not going to place him ahead of Lindsey.

BMac's biggest deficiency is his D against quicker guards, so it's imperative to pair him w/ a better defender and Lindsey's height/reach is a also a plus (Ash is supposed to be a pretty good defender as well, but Lindsey will have a season's worth of experience and some time to add strength/weight).

Originally posted by benoitdenizetl:
I agree about Vassar. Unless there is some remarkable improvement between his freshman and sophomore year, I don't see him getting serious minutes at the backup point. I'd look for Demps or Ash to spell BMac at the point.
But at the same time, let's all hope that Vassar develops like what Hearn ended up doing.

If ends up being the case, think CC would rue burning Vassar's shirt (think of Juice but w/ more quicks) - just as Hearn's 1st season (as a walk-on) was pretty much wasted (imagine if Hearn had another year).

In that case, Vassar would be getting some decent minutes behind BMac - being that smaller, peskier PG (kind of like how Ulis is for UK).

This post was edited on 2/23 12:44 AM by Katatonic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT