ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT - DePaul Hiring Holtmann

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Would have thought they would have looked elsewhere, especially seeing how tOSU performed after he was let go

I was worried about Porter Moser taking the gig. While Holtmann couldn't make it work at OSU, given where DePaul is right now, he should be considered a godsend.

DePaul is completely off the map right now. I am happy for the DePaul alums and especially the former players as I think this is a very good hire. I expect he will start recruiting the city immediately and have them headed in the right direction in a year or two. I am no fan of DePaul but a friend played for Joey Meyer and I would love for him to see them have some success.

i remember when they owned the city for awhile (before Michael Jordan). It is hard to fathom how far they fell. Even Northwestern's worst teams (and we had plenty) never went 3-29, and the blowout defeats they took for almost every Big East game were mind blowing, BTW, Georgetown and DePaul provided four gimme wins for all those Big East teams on the bubble like St. Johns, Vilanova, and Seton Hall,

Reactions: mountaindrew
i remember when they owned the city for awhile (before Michael Jordan). It is hard to fathom how far they fell. Even Northwestern's worst teams (and we had plenty) never went 3-29, and the blowout defeats they took for almost every Big East game were mind blowing, BTW, Georgetown and DePaul provided four gimme wins for all those Big East teams on the bubble like St. Johns, Vilanova, and Seton Hall,

Yup. I think the first NU game I attended at the old barn was against DePaul, with Dave Corzine, Ronnie Norwood, Joe Ponsetto and that gang back around 75 ish. Man, I hated Joe Ponsetto. Freakin stiff. But he abused our bigs that night.

Then Ray Meyer was able to get Terry Cummings from Carver, Skip Dillard from Westinghouse, Teddy Grubbs from King, Gary Garland, Clyde Bradshaw, and a little later Mark Aguirre... and boom! DePaul soared to new heights and like Catreporter said, they owned Chicagoland for most of a decade. The Golden Age of college hoops in Chicago. Great times.

For you non old timers here, in the mid 80s, college basketball in Chicago was absolutely flying: DePaul, Loyola, UIC, Chicago State, Illinois and Notre Dame were all winning 20 plus games at the same time, making big noise at the NCAA tournament, and even NU got into the post season mix there for one year in 84. But DePaul was The Boss. Good ol' Ray Meyer sent players to the league consistently for quite a while.

I would love to see DePaul return to being a big time winning team again. Nothing would be more fun for Chicago college hoops fans than if NU, Loyola and DePaul all got back to the NCAA tournament at the same time. Its never happened in my lifetime. That would be something to see.

Last edited:
But DePaul was The Boss.
And how many of us are college basketball fans today because of those teams?!?!

I'd love to still care about Billy Blue, but times and arenas change. Poor DePaul. They've done such a poor job of taking care of that legacy.

Grade-school me always wants DePaul to be relevant again. I wish them the best. But I want NU to continue to be the top dog in the area.

Holtmann seems like a great get for them. But I hope DePaul did its homework on him. That game at the Welsh in January looked like a poorly-coached team where the team as well as the coach had just given up, even late in the first half.

Yup. I think the first NU game I attended at the old barn was against DePaul, with Dave Corzine, Ronnie Norwood, Joe Ponsetto and that gang back around 75 ish. Man, I hated Joe Ponsetto. Freakin stiff. But he abused our bigs that night.

Then Ray Meyer was able to get Terry Cummings from Carver, Skip Dillard from Westinghouse, Teddy Grubbs from King, Gary Garland, Clyde Bradshaw, and a little later Mark Aguirre... and boom! DePaul soared to new heights and like Catreporter said, they owned Chicagoland for most of a decade. The Golden Age of college hoops in Chicago. Great times.

For you non old timers here, in the mid 80s, college basketball in Chicago was absolutely flying: DePaul, Loyola, UIC, Chicago State, Illinois and Notre Dame were all winning 20 plus games at the same time, making big noise at the NCAA tournament, and even NU got into the post season mix there for one year in 84. But DePaul was The Boss. Good ol' Ray Meyer sent players to the league consistently for quite a while.

I would love to see DePaul return to being a big time winning team again. Nothing would be more fun for Chicago college hoops fans than if NU, Loyola and DePaul all got back to the NCAA tournament at the same time. Its never happened in my lifetime. That would be something to see.

Sigh,,,,

Still haven't got over the NU/DePaul NIT game at the Horizon.

Was fortunate to attend it, not an empty seat in the house. Seems hard to believe these days.

Sigh,,,,

Still haven't got over the NU/DePaul NIT game at the Horizon.

Was fortunate to attend it, not an empty seat in the house. Seems hard to believe these days.

Neither have I. I'm in a good mood today, and I didn't want to go there. 😫😩☹️

I recall seeing tons of DePaul basketball ads on local television in the 80s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT