ADVERTISEMENT

Sullivan to Iowa

Academic year has absolutely nothing to do with football recruiting and commitments.
Someone said the exact opposite on the MBB board. As a scholarship transfer undergrad, I had to have my app in around spring break. But I was also non revenue.

Still, admissions is not a sure thing. The coaches presumably need to know what type of qb they are using before fall practices begin to build a playbook. Seem to recall enrollment in summer classes had some benefit too.

Out of curiosity, what is the latest anyone recalls a transfer being announced for NUFB?

Hit play. I timestamped it for you.

I simply do not believe that Lausch has jumped Sully.
That seems like kind of a you issue.

Lausch always was a developmental prospect who had not necessarily devoted all of his time to playing football and was more athlete than QB. It’s not unreasonable that he took a big leap with a full season and offseason in a B1G program.

Sort of like you trying to feel good about running Sully off.

I don’t feel bad, because Sully wasn’t run off. He was informed where he stood coming out of spring practice and our plans for the fall, then decided to bail. He wasn’t pushed out. At all.

Let’s play a game. Which of these P5 QBs you taking:

Player A — 13 career games (6 starts), 134/195 (68.7%) for 1,303 yards and 10:5 TD:INT passing, 129 rushes for 250 yards and 3 TDs

Player B — 38 career games (14 starts), 232/418 (55.5%) passing for 2,520 yards and 24:14 TD:INT, 247 rushes for 1,229 yards and 10 TDs

Reactions: pnt16
Someone said the exact opposite on the MBB board. As a scholarship transfer undergrad, I had to have my app in around spring break. But I was also non revenue.

Still, admissions is not a sure thing. The coaches presumably need to know what type of qb they are using before fall practices begin to build a playbook. Seem to recall enrollment in summer classes had some benefit too.

Out of curiosity, what is the latest anyone recalls a transfer being announced for NUFB?

Admissions deadlines are extremely fungible for revenue transfers.

Lausch always was a developmental prospect who had not necessarily devoted all of his time to playing football and was more athlete than QB. It’s not unreasonable that he took a big leap with a full season and offseason in a B1G program.

And that we have an entirely new offensive scheme that puts a lot more emphasis on running/mobility.

Reactions: pnt16
We didn’t run him off. We told him he got beaten out coming out of spring and that we were planning to bring in another transfer QB as competition, he decided to bail.
I reckon one or two guys got beaten out by Pat Spencer, too (i.e. a guy not playing his primary sport that we played out of desperation). That's what this feels like. A baseball player and part time gadget QB that somehow beats out two experienced guys that were ahead of him as late as NYE, in a dozen spring practices*

*New offense, new OC, keep an open mind.

Then why didn't we ever run passing plays for the many times we put the "Lausch package" in last season? The defense always knew Lausch would be running and would sell out to stop him, and his stats after the UTEP game bear that out. Why didn't we have any confidence to run some pass plays out of the "Lausch package" to keep the defense honest? It should be easy to design a play when you know what the defense is going to do.

I've seen Sully complete several long passes in game situations. I do not believe that Lausch has suddenly surpassed Sully this spring.

Maybe Lausch has a higher ceiling, maybe he has more potential due to his sheer athleticism. But Sully has the edge in experience and I saw he showed development over the season. You guys can keep telling me that I'm wrong all you want, but I call bullsh!t that Lausch right now is better than Sully.

Then why didn't we ever run passing plays for the many times we put the "Lausch package" in last season? The defense always knew Lausch would be running and would sell out to stop him, and his stats after the UTEP game bear that out. Why didn't we have any confidence to run some pass plays out of the "Lausch package" to keep the defense honest? It should be easy to design a play when you know what the defense is going to do.

I've seen Sully complete several long passes in game situations. I do not believe that Lausch has suddenly surpassed Sully this spring.

Maybe Lausch has a higher ceiling, maybe he has more potential due to his sheer athleticism. But Sully has the edge in experience and I saw he showed development over the season. You guys can keep telling me that I'm wrong all you want, but I call bullsh!t that Lausch right now is better than Sully.
You're right. I've never seen a younger player pass up a vet before in camp. Those things just don't happen in CFB.

And that we have an entirely new offensive scheme that puts a lot more emphasis on running/mobility.
I certainly hope the new offense does a better job of getting the mobile QB to gain more yardage. The guy in question had a long run against UTEP then averaged 2 yards per carry (even with really no sack losses) the rest of the year

Because Bajakian was an awful OC who got canned after the season.

Because Bajakian was an awful OC who got canned after the season.
And yet Sullivan was able to step in last season and complete 64% of his passes with a 3:1 TD/INT ratio under that awful OC. Sullivan bust be REALLY good then!

And yet Sullivan was able to step in last season and complete 64% of his passes with a 3:1 TD/INT ratio under that awful OC. Sullivan bust be REALLY good then!
7/10 for 83 yards against Iowa! 70% completion rate! Elite stats!

Take a look at YPP and the situations Sully was playing in. Dude is a decent backup at best in year 4 of his career. We didn't lose anything that can't be replaced.

The one thing I can't figure out in all this is, if NU has some secret sauce transfer in mind, why would they be waiting to declare their commitment at this late date. P4 QB positions don't grow on trees.

Reactions: IGNORE2

You asked me a question about why Bajakian wouldn’t have better schemes to emphasize his players’ particular strengths. I answered it. You didn’t like my answer.

Nobody is happy that Sullivan is gone. But we aren’t exactly heartbroken either. Is Sully your fraternity brother or something?

Solid avoidance of Player A/Player B, by the way.

The one thing I can't figure out in all this is, if NU has some secret sauce transfer in mind, why would they be waiting to declare their commitment at this late date. P4 QB positions don't grow on trees.
I think the answer is that a deal fell through for whatever reason.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think the answer is that a deal fell through for whatever reason.

From the outside it seems that perhaps we over-estimated the likelihood that Gronowski would follow Lujan to Evanston.

But that has nothing to do with Sullivan seeking assurances that he was QB1 coming out of spring and deciding to bail after he was given no such assurances. We were going to bring in another transfer QB no matter what.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
From the outside it seems that perhaps we over-estimated the likelihood that Gronowski would follow Lujan to Evanston.

But that has nothing to do with Sullivan seeking assurances that he was QB1 coming out of spring and deciding to bail after he was given no such assurances. We were going to bring in another transfer QB no matter what.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The only game I saw in person last year was Howard at Homecoming. Sully played not to lose instead of playing to win. Blame it on the OC, I suppose, but he was indecisive and not mobile at all. I know it was only one game but I read him then as having evolved into a game manager but not a playmaker. That sounds perfect for what Ferentz wants at Iowa but I don't think that's what Lujan wants.

My stance has ALWAYS been that if a player graduates, then I have no hard feelings if they transfer. It's a reward for their hard work while pursuing their degree, the ideal of a student-athlete. It's why I cheer for Ryan Young but not Miller Kopp.

Sully earned his NU degree so he's not obligated to stick around if the coaches want to play mind games with him.

I hope that Sully wins the starting job and that we get a chance to sort it out on the field when we play Iowa in October.
Mind games, lol.

Geez, Sully bailed because he wasn’t guaranteed a starter position. Good for Braun having the balls to be truthful with the kid. He was obviously in a competition with Lausch. He elected not to stick that out. Whether Lausch will be better or not is unknown. However, what we do know, is that in at least the eyes of the Coaches Lausch was at minimum very close to Sully in the pecking order. If you believe some the connected posters, he was in the lead.

Not sure why this is so hard to believe. I do know that the open practice showed pretty much every QB looking as good as Sully. That’s the most recent data point I have. Maybe he was disinterested, and will get rejuvenated. Wish he stayed, but players with a history of his performance (despite what FF thinks) shouldn’t be guaranteed anything as far as starting. Tail don’t wag the dog.

Geez, Sully bailed because he wasn’t guaranteed a starter position. Good for Braun having the balls to be truthful with the kid. He was obviously in a competition with Lausch. He elected not to stick that out. Whether Lausch will be better or not is unknown. However, what we do know, is that in at least the eyes of the Coaches Lausch was at minimum very close to Sully in the pecking order. If you believe some the connected posters, he was in the lead.

Not sure why this is so hard to believe. I do know that the open practice showed pretty much every QB looking as good as Sully. That’s the most recent data point I have. Maybe he was disinterested, and will get rejuvenated. Wish he stayed, but players with a history of his performance (despite what FF thinks) shouldn’t be guaranteed anything as far as starting. Tail don’t wag the dog.
He doesn’t have a starter position at Iowa, though. Maybe he is a hazing perpetrator and NU is building a case in their defense by sacrificing their starting quarterback (and quietly aiding in his transfer to a friendly school). If there was actual hazing there must have been ringleaders. Where are the perpetrators? They didn’t ALL graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT