ADVERTISEMENT

The Foundation: A behind-the-scenes look at NU's summer

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
From NUSports.com...

The Foundation -- Northwestern Basketball: Summer 2015

WATCH ALL FOUR EPISODES OF "THE FOUNDATION"

EVANSTON, Ill. — Northwestern Athletics unveiled Tuesday (Sept. 15) "The Foundation -- Northwestern Basketball: Summer 2015," a behind-the-scenes video series profiling the summer workouts for the Northwestern men's basketball program.

"The Foundation" is a production of Studio N, the Northwestern Athletics broadcast operations department. The four episodes -- which were released simultaneously Tuesday for binge viewing -- provide fans with interviews with head coach Chris Collins and student-athletes, an exclusive look into private team meetings and workouts as well as a recap of the team's recent foreign tour of Spain.

"We felt that this summer was a terrific time to provide our fans with a glimpse at the program that they might not normally have, especially since it was capped by our trip to Spain," Collins said. "The summer is when the upcoming year's team comes together for the first time to lay the groundwork for the next season. Our guys have put in a lot of time and effort and I hope "The Foundation" gives people an appreciation for the commitment and dedication that is necessary to build a successful team."

The first season of "The Foundation" was released in the spring of 2015 and chronicled the spring practice season of the Northwestern football program. The series was named a finalist for a College Sports Media Award presented by Sports Video Group and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) for the Outstanding Program Series in the collegiate athletics division.

Episode One of the second season features the first team meeting of the summer and Coach Collins mic'd up at practice. The second episode is highlighted by the team's early-morning military-style beach workouts in addition to elite camp invitations for Bryant McIntosh and Tre Demps as well as a wedding for the latter.

Episode Three includes a closer look at the strides some of the individuals have made since last season and the handing out of the squad's end-of-summer workout awards. The final episode is a recap of the team's 10-day tour of Spain in late August that saw it play five exhibition games against professional teams while touring Madrid, Alicante, Valencia and Barcelona.

"Season 2 of "The Foundation" represents a labor of love from the team at Studio N, which spent countless hours this summer on the planning and production of the series," said Rob Coons, Senior Director of Broadcast Operations. "I am extremely proud of the continued quality of this production. We are grateful to Coach Collins and his staff for their trust, allowing us complete access to their program over the past three months."

Northwestern returns all five starters and seven of its top eight scorers from a year ago for the 2015-16 season, including All-Big Ten performers Demps and Alex Olah as well as McIntosh who was a Big Ten All-Freshman Team selection.

From NUSports.com...

The Foundation -- Northwestern Basketball: Summer 2015

WATCH ALL FOUR EPISODES OF "THE FOUNDATION"

EVANSTON, Ill. — Northwestern Athletics unveiled Tuesday (Sept. 15) "The Foundation -- Northwestern Basketball: Summer 2015," a behind-the-scenes video series profiling the summer workouts for the Northwestern men's basketball program.

"The Foundation" is a production of Studio N, the Northwestern Athletics broadcast operations department. The four episodes -- which were released simultaneously Tuesday for binge viewing -- provide fans with interviews with head coach Chris Collins and student-athletes, an exclusive look into private team meetings and workouts as well as a recap of the team's recent foreign tour of Spain.

"We felt that this summer was a terrific time to provide our fans with a glimpse at the program that they might not normally have, especially since it was capped by our trip to Spain," Collins said. "The summer is when the upcoming year's team comes together for the first time to lay the groundwork for the next season. Our guys have put in a lot of time and effort and I hope "The Foundation" gives people an appreciation for the commitment and dedication that is necessary to build a successful team."

The first season of "The Foundation" was released in the spring of 2015 and chronicled the spring practice season of the Northwestern football program. The series was named a finalist for a College Sports Media Award presented by Sports Video Group and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) for the Outstanding Program Series in the collegiate athletics division.

Episode One of the second season features the first team meeting of the summer and Coach Collins mic'd up at practice. The second episode is highlighted by the team's early-morning military-style beach workouts in addition to elite camp invitations for Bryant McIntosh and Tre Demps as well as a wedding for the latter.

Episode Three includes a closer look at the strides some of the individuals have made since last season and the handing out of the squad's end-of-summer workout awards. The final episode is a recap of the team's 10-day tour of Spain in late August that saw it play five exhibition games against professional teams while touring Madrid, Alicante, Valencia and Barcelona.

"Season 2 of "The Foundation" represents a labor of love from the team at Studio N, which spent countless hours this summer on the planning and production of the series," said Rob Coons, Senior Director of Broadcast Operations. "I am extremely proud of the continued quality of this production. We are grateful to Coach Collins and his staff for their trust, allowing us complete access to their program over the past three months."

Northwestern returns all five starters and seven of its top eight scorers from a year ago for the 2015-16 season, including All-Big Ten performers Demps and Alex Olah as well as McIntosh who was a Big Ten All-Freshman Team selection.

Very well produced. Spain must have been an amazing trip for the team. Can't wait for the season to start!

Very well produced. Spain must have been an amazing trip for the team. Can't wait for the season to start!

I thought this was fantastic as well. Collins is always impressive. The players are clearly working hard and are gaining confidence. I don't want summer to end yet but I can't wait for the season.

Really well done.
Man, I really wish football had something like this to raise awareness for the Northwestern brand and give fans something to look at. Too bad Fitz locks down NU football more than the Pentagon.

(sarcasm alert)

It's hard to imagine how any coach could have done any more at NU than CCC has. This team is already exciting before they play a single game.

Give CCC a solid, winning season this year and he'll be recruiting with the traditional powers.

Last edited:
This was really high quality stuff. I'm assuming students did it and if so I think they'll have bright futures ahead of them if they can put out content like this.

I can't wait for the season to start! This is the year!

I can't wait for the season to start! This is the year!

This is absolutely the year.

Damn, I watched those videos, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that we are going to the NCAA's, and when we get there, we are going to some serious damage.
Our senior captains will be All B1G. We've got talent across all positions. We have depth in all positions.

This is happening. I don't get the people who talk about NITs and falling short. There is no way in my mind that we aren't making the NCAAs.

Our senior captains will be All B1G.

I could see Tre at least Second team if not first. He will have a huge year.

Alex will suffer from the shorter shot clock and quicker pace. He will still block shots but his scoring will likely drop. I think you will see a slashing to the bucket team and lots of 3s.MAYBE Honorable Mention for him.

This is absolutely the year.

Damn, I watched those videos, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that we are going to the NCAA's, and when we get there, we are going to some serious damage.
Our senior captains will be All B1G. We've got talent across all positions. We have depth in all positions.

This is happening. I don't get the people who talk about NITs and falling short. There is no way in my mind that we aren't making the NCAAs.
I've said it before (I'm pretty sure) and I'll say it again - if this is the magical year where the Cats break through it will be because Tre Demps has turned into a star.

This is the magical year where the Cats break through it will be because Tre Demps has turned into a star.

I'm in the same ballpark as you, C.

I hope Demps can find just a bit more consistency to turn that 13 ppg in conference to 15-16 ppg. However, I wonder if this bunch could get by with the same Demps. Possibly.

I keep thinking this team will go where Olah goes. Either way, I think they need Demps or Olah to step it up.

If ...

a) One of them plays to the summer video hype and;
b) Lindsey or Falzon can provide a consistent scoring threat, and;
c) There is a noticeable defensive improvement (might be on Olah again) ...

... it could be a hell of a year. I don't think these ideas are out of the realm of possibility.

We have really good depth for the first time in ages.

We have really good depth for the first time in ages.

As PF noted with the football team, amazing how much impact "competitive depth" has on a team's overall success - withstanding the usual injuries and still being in a position to field a strong team on game days, and being able to have intense practices that improve the level of play for every player each and every day.

Check out the ESPN article about the Florida football team during Meyer's last year or 2. Players quote that the daily praactices were "hell" - more intense and physical than any actual SEC game during their national title run. Coaches would have to cancel practices so that the players didn't kill each other during practice...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT