ADVERTISEMENT

The NU Route to the NFL for BigTen QB's

PurpleNUCat

Gold Member
May 11, 2006
Interesting stat concerning Big10 QB's taken in the last six NFL Drafts:

Northwestern University: 2 (Kafka & Siemian)
Iowa; MSU & UW: 1 each (Stanzi, Cousins & Wilson)
OSU: 1 in the supplemental draft in 2011 (Pryor)
Illinois; Indiana; Maryland; Michigan; Minnesota; Nebraska; Penn State; Purdue & Rutgers: Zero

I just found the above data interesting. I hope that I did not miss any Big10 QB that got drafted during the past six years, but I found it interesting in how few QB's the entire league has had drafted in recent years. For NU to have one-third of all Big10 QB's drafted over the past six years seems incredible to me.

Go Cats!!!

(Best of luck to Big Mike and Trevor in the NFL.)

A bit convenient, I'd say, to go back six years, but interesting nonetheless. I also think that despite his size, Persa would have been drafted if he had stayed healthy. 2010 Persa was a QB with NFL abilities, IMO.

A bit convenient, I'd say, to go back six years, but interesting nonetheless. I also think that despite his size, Persa would have been drafted if he had stayed healthy. 2010 Persa was a QB with NFL abilities, IMO.
If Persa didn't make it in the NFL he would have been huge in Canada.

Illinois; Indiana; Maryland; Michigan; Minnesota; Nebraska; Penn State; Purdue & Rutgers: Zero

I just found the above data interesting. I hope that I did not miss any Big10 QB that got drafted during the past six years, but I found it interesting in how few QB's the entire league has had drafted in recent years. For NU to have one-third of all Big10 QB's drafted over the past six years seems incredible to me.

Go Cats!!!

It is beyond interesting - it is shocking. Honestly I pay no attention to the NFL and only a passing interest to the draft/UFA in case NU people get selected; however, the low number of B1G QB's selected is just amazing. I know we are generally not known as a "passing conference" but still, this is the conference that produced, among others, Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Another oddity, that Trevor, and we all know his gifts and limitations, would be drafted ahead of many, many other college QB's, even though he was probably our least successful starting quarterback during his career since the 90s. Note I am leaving out people that started like 2 games like Brewer or whatever. Look at the CAREER success of our QB's in the last 20 years (our favorite reference period) and here is Trevor, everyone's favorite whipping boy, getting drafted. Here's hoping he has a long career and minimal injuries. Then we can all complain about how Fitz and McCall failed to develop him!!

Go Cats!!!

While I thought TS would get a shot, I thought it would be as an UFA. I felt his injury history would keep teams from using a draft pick. That said, I hope he can get and stay healthy so he gets his chance.

Go Cats!!!

I realize that Colter is not playing in the NFL as a QB but he was a QB who is now playing in the NFL. Did he get drafted or was he a free agent? Either way, we can honestly say that many of NU's recent QB's are playing in the NFL and arguably the best one had a career ending injury.

I realize that Colter is not playing in the NFL as a QB but he was a QB who is now playing in the NFL. Did he get drafted or was he a free agent? Either way, we can honestly say that many of NU's recent QB's are playing in the NFL and arguably the best one had a career ending injury.

Colter was undrafted, but Denard Robinson, as an "offensive weapon," was a 5th-rounder.

I think it is more a testament to the lack of QBs in the Big 10 the last six years. Regarding OSU, Pryor is the only starting QB the last six years who has been eligible for the draft.

It is beyond interesting - it is shocking. Honestly I pay no attention to the NFL and only a passing interest to the draft/UFA in case NU people get selected; however, the low number of B1G QB's selected is just amazing. I know we are generally not known as a "passing conference" but still, this is the conference that produced, among others, Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Another oddity, that Trevor, and we all know his gifts and limitations, would be drafted ahead of many, many other college QB's, even though he was probably our least successful starting quarterback during his career since the 90s. Note I am leaving out people that started like 2 games like Brewer or whatever. Look at the CAREER success of our QB's in the last 20 years (our favorite reference period) and here is Trevor, everyone's favorite whipping boy, getting drafted. Here's hoping he has a long career and minimal injuries. Then we can all complain about how Fitz and McCall failed to develop him!!

He was also the only one to win a bowl game...

I don't think it says anything about the BigTen - how many programs period have had more than 1 QB drafted the last 6 years? Florida State with Winston, EJ Manuel and Ponder comes to mind, but there can't be that many other programs - a lot of the drafted QB's are from mid-major conferences or obscure programs. Not to mention why only 6 years and why QB's drafted - is being drafted beyond the 4th round any more indictitive of the player you are than being an UDFA. Wouldn't looking at QB's on NFL rosters be a better indicater - I know MSU had at least 3 get starts last year, maybe more?

I don't think it says anything about the BigTen - how many programs period have had more than 1 QB drafted the last 6 years? Florida State with Winston, EJ Manuel and Ponder comes to mind, but there can't be that many other programs - a lot of the drafted QB's are from mid-major conferences or obscure programs. Not to mention why only 6 years and why QB's drafted - is being drafted beyond the 4th round any more indictitive of the player you are than being an UDFA. Wouldn't looking at QB's on NFL rosters be a better indicater - I know MSU had at least 3 get starts last year, maybe more?

The B1G has been weak at the quarterback position for a while but that seems to be changing. I saw a mock draft and Hackenberg, Cook and Jones were all projected to be first round picks. A lot can change by next Spring but that's a good sign for the conference. Goff from Cal is also projected to be a top 10 pick.

While no school was dominating in QBs drafted, which would be unlikely over a six year period, The Big 10 had the least amount of QBs drafted among the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC, and ACC from 2009-2014. In some cases it was 2-3 times more In another conference than the Big10.

I do agree that those numbers should be more favorable in the conference over the next six years.

Wonder if his achilles never fully got back to 100%; similar type of QB to Russell Wilson - can run out of trouble, but most of the time uses his legs to set up the pass.

Colter was undrafted, but Denard Robinson, as an "offensive weapon," was a 5th-rounder.

I think it is more a testament to the lack of QBs in the Big 10 the last six years. Regarding OSU, Pryor is the only starting QB the last six years who has been eligible for the draft.

The B1G has been weak at the quarterback position for a while but that seems to be changing. I saw a mock draft and Hackenberg, Cook and Jones were all projected to be first round picks. A lot can change by next Spring but that's a good sign for the conference. Goff from Cal is also projected to be a top 10 pick.

The problem w/ regard to the QB position in the B1G has been the over-infatuation w/ dual-threat QBs (despite the misconception of a the B1G being a traditional, old school style conference), when for the most part, these dual-threat QBs weren't a real threat w/ regard to the passing game.

B1G QBs currently on NFL rosters

Brady - Pats
Brees - Saints
Wilson* - Seahawks (initially played for NCState)
Orton - Bills
Stanton - Cards
Hoyer - Texans
Mallet* - Texans (initially played for UM)
Savage* - Texans (initially played for RU)
Henne - Jags
Hill (UMD) - Vikings
Kafka - Vikings
Stanzi - Giants
Siemian - Broncos
McGloin - Raiders
Cousins - that team in DC

Other B1G QBs who recently played the position in NFL

Griese
Painter
KCollins
TCollins
Pryor

So what is the common characteristic of these B1G QBs?

Pretty much all pro-style QBs (some more athletic than others) w/ the exception of Wilson and maybe Brees - of of whom use their legs primarily to set up the pass.

Run-oriented QBs like -

Denard Robinson
Troy Smith
Pryor
Devin Gardner
Colter
Randle El

who were lacking in skills as a pocket passer - either quickly washed out of the NFL as a QB or played another position (mostly WR).

dOSU, PSU and UM - all went thru a stage where they were overly-infatuated w/ dual-threat QBs and add to that NEB which has long favored running QBs - it's no wonder that the B1G has struggled in getting QBs drafted and drafted high.

It's also no wonder that a program which has stuck to a pro-style O is on the verge of sending its 4th straight starting QB to the NFL (w/ 3 of them, after next yr, will have been drafted).

PSU had 3 4* dual-threat QBs on its roster, but they all ended up transferring out when a walk-on by the name of McGloin eventually won the starting job.

And that former walk-on has not only been able stick it out as an NFL QB, he beat out Pryor (who was the no.1 rated recruit out of Pennsylvania the yr before).

Along the same lines - Miller is by a good margin the best athlete out of the 3 dOSU QBs competing for the starting job, but Jones (followed by Barrett) will likely be the one most sought after by NFL teams.

Jones, Hackenberg and Cook - all big pocket passers and all w/ a chance to be drafted in the 1st rnd next yr.

Last edited:
If you go back to the 90's I agree with Kat as to the number of QBs in the NFL who were more classic pro-style signal callers, regardless of conference. If you go to the last 6 years you see more dual threat and spread offense QBs being drafted regardless of conference. While certain programs are still more traditional, larger numbers are going spread and/or read option.

I keep going back to the NFL QBs who stay in the NFL either as a starter or a backup do so because of whom they are as an individual more than because of the system they ran in college.

The game continues to evolve...Dual threat QB's with top passing skills will continue to be top draft picks, and we'll see more Wilson, Newton, RGIII, and Kaepernick types in the NFL.

^ The key is on the dual part of dual-threat.

RG3, RW and CK all passed for over 3k yds (RG3 passed for over 4k his last season at Baylor) in a season while in college.

Wilson passed for over 3k yds 3 times in his college career and in his 1 yr at UW, only rushed 79 times.

And despite those heady passing nos. in college, RG3 had been benched and CK has been roundly criticized for the passing woes of the 49ers offense (w/ rumblings of trade rumors).

Even RW got criticized when Seattle's passing game went into a slump last season.

Now, it usually takes 3-4 yrs for a QB to adjust to the pro game and get used to all the nuances in the schemes - so these QBs should be entering their prime which will determine whether they are truly elite NFL QBs.

Here's a good piece from SI on functional mobile QBs.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/14/functionally-mobile-quarterbacks-aaron-rodgers-tom-brady-drew-brees

Even w/ the running abilities of an RG3 or KC, think their respective NFL coaches would prefer it if they played more like Brees and Rodgers, using their legs to set up the pass than simply tucking it and run (unless there is wide open space in front), esp. since the last thing they would want is to use their franchise QBs like another RB considering the short career span for the typical NFL RB.

UMD just got a commit from a 4* QB, Dwayne Haskins, Jr., who has as impressive an offer list a HS QB can have - around 40 offers, including from 'Bama, UF, FSU, Auburn, dOSU, UM, PSU, ND, Clemson, LSU, UT, OU, UCLA, VT, etc.

And while Haskins has good speed and agility, he is listed as a pro-style QB b/c he is a pass oriented QB and uses his legs to set up the pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT