ADVERTISEMENT

The one dark spot

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
Amazing win and game today for NU.

But there was a glaringly awful game for Clayton today. He was ridiculously outmatched in every aspect, out of position, and did not look like he belonged on the court. I wonder if this is why Collins waited so long before pulling him out of the game?

But there was a glaringly awful game for Clayton today. He was ridiculously outmatched in every aspect, out of position, and did not look like he belonged on the court. I wonder if this is why Collins waited so long before pulling him out of the game?
Ha, I just posted this in a different thread. Spot on. He looked almost nervous.

On offense, he just looked raw and nervous. On defense, he had puppy energy. Lots of hustle and running around out there, but not really any idea where to be and mostly running around excited with arms and legs flying.

It’s okay, he’s young. He’s got obvious athleticism, it’s just a veteran league.

He had couple nice defensive series. A few freshman mistakes on that end as well. It wasn’t all bad. He had excellent foot work and positioning on a couple of series. He’s a freshman and the hardest learning curve is defense. Playing within the offense is second. Kid has some potential. I wouldn’t be to hard on him this game. He had some really good defensive series.

Clayton very much reminds me of Ryan Greer at the moment. Hopefully he’ll be better than Ryan but I do think that’s his floor which if so would make him a solid backup.

He had couple nice defensive series. A few freshman mistakes on that end as well. It wasn’t all bad. He had excellent foot work and positioning on a couple of series. He’s a freshman and the hardest learning curve is defense. Playing within the offense is second. Kid has some potential. I wouldn’t be to hard on him this game. He had some really good defensive series.
This. His defensive work was sound.

I thought he looked fine defensively until he threw up the airball. After that, he gave up a three and even when he came back he struggled. I will admit I don't go out of my way to watch him like I would a lot of other players.

This. His defensive work was sound.
He had a couple defensive possessions where he overplayed like everything ball movement and got abused for wide open looks. Wasn’t a quicks problem, he’s got plenty of quicks, just a learning thing. Again, vet league, he’s still learning, you can see his effort and potential.

Reactions: drewjin

I thought the 12-2 run at the end was a dark spot too. Missed opportunity to beat down dOSU by 40

I was concerned about him too. I don't always know what I'm looking at but he stuck out like a sore thumb of confusion. I guess he will grow and trust those of you have said so.

Gotta get the kid some minutes to help development. CC needs to go deeper into the bench in the blowouts.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
I was concerned about him too. I don't always know what I'm looking at but he stuck out like a sore thumb of confusion. I guess he will grow and trust those of you have said so.
He will be fine. Just has zero confidence right now. Needs to hang out with Hunger more. How could he have confidence, any error is magnified and he is quickly yanked.

Reactions: mountaindrew

I was really hoping he’d have hit that three. Think it would have been a real confidence boost for him. Looking forward to his development under our coaching staff.

I re-watched Clayton‘s minutes when he first entered the game at 11:06. During his minutes we went on an 8-3run to push the lead to 23-15 at the under 8 timeout.

His defense was good during the stretch. He had a couple hesitations on rotations, but his positioning was good. He was very fast getting to the ball, and he contested a few shots that led to misses. I would be hard-pressed to find fault with his defense, at least in the first half.

Last edited:
Not sure what people expect to see from a true frosh who has barely seen the court even against inferior competition (another consequence of not blowing out bad noncon teams).

Should we say that Strauss not playing this year is a “dark spot”?

The simple fact is if CCC doesn’t feel like he’s seen enough from Clayton he will seek out a transfer PG in the portal. “Come fill in for our first-team All Big Ten PG and get that recognition yourself” is a pretty good pitch.

Last edited:
Not sure what people expect to see from a true frosh who has barely seen the court even against inferior competition (another consequence of not blowing out bad noncon teams).

Should we say that Strauss not playing this year is a “dark spot”?

The simple fact is if CCC doesn’t feel like he’s seen enough from Clayton he will seek out a transfer PG in the portal. “Come fill in for our first-team All Big Ten PG and get that recognition yourself” is a pretty good pitch.
At this point, I would figure that Strauss and Barkley are being redshirted.

He has had very little time on the court. And isn't he a true Frosh? What do you expect?

I thought he looked fine defensively until he threw up the airball. After that, he gave up a three and even when he came back he struggled. I will admit I don't go out of my way to watch him like I would a lot of other players.
There has not been much time to.

It taken multiple players multiple years to be the players they are know.

If no growth over the next year, then that would be a concern.

Sept/2022, people were wondering if Boo could run a team and not take those crazy shots, Mar/2023 people were hoping he came back.

Not saying he will be Boo, but it took Boo, MN and Ty time to become what they are today

He has had very little time on the court. And isn't he a true Frosh? What do you expect?
Roper. Beran. Buie. Berry. Nance. Gaines. Kopp. Martinelli.

There is a long list of freshmen who played between 10 and 27 minutes per game for Chris Collins.

This year we have a good, veteran team, so the need to play a freshman is diminished... but Collins does need to know if he has a Big Ten point guard other than Buie on his roster.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Roper. Beran. Buie. Berry. Nance. Gaines. Kopp. Martinelli.

There is a long list of freshmen who played between 10 and 27 minutes per game for Chris Collins.

This year we have a good, veteran team, so the need to play a freshman is diminished... but Collins does need to know if he has a Big Ten point guard other than Buie on his roster.
Have to remember that Gragg basically gutted recruiting for the class of 23. This is a mature team that is potentially tourney bound and not a lot of room to experiment and not a lot of openings for young guys. Also I don't believe Buie was here as a Frosh and Roper Berry Nance Kopp were all 4 stars that came in with open holes in the roster, Gaines and Martinaelli also got on the floor do to some open opportunities that we really don't have this year. And we already have other guys that can carry part of the PG roll.

Have to remember that Gragg basically gutted recruiting for the class of 23. This is a mature team that is potentially tourney bound and not a lot of room to experiment and not a lot of openings for young guys. Also I don't believe Buie was here as a Frosh and Roper Berry Nance Kopp were all 4 stars that came in with open holes in the roster, Gaines and Martinaelli also got on the floor do to some open opportunities that we really don't have this year. And we already have other guys that can carry part of the PG roll.
You asked "What do you expect from a freshman?" regarding Clayton.
Collins almost always has a freshman who plays decent minutes (10-25) and produces decent results.
Even in the NCAA year (the first one) Isiah Brown played 15 mpg backing up Bryant McIntosh.

There was (and probably still is) a need for a backup for Buie at point guard. We were all hoping it was Jordan Clayton. Collins tried that but the results weren't good earlier this season. So its a concern, especially for next year.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
It's also sometimes a committee when Boo is playing. It doesn't necessarily help us for next year depending on who comes back, but we've seen Ryan, Ty, Brooks, Clayton and - very rarely - Nick all run the point while Boo is also on the court. It seems very intentional to me that Collins is having the team get used to running various sets with various guys at the point.

Collins had at least a year without a real point guard and I'm sure that memory is stronger for him than it is for me.

The committee also can't hurt vs full court presses - which we haven't had a problem with this year.

• Love
He will certainly work the portal as best he can, and not just in the back court imho.

I know this is a dumb question, but do Ty or Matt have eligibility left?

Reactions: IGNORE2
I feel a lot better about next year knowing that. I hope Preston has that 'Verhoeven end of season' aha! and figures stuff out.

Clayton has to get better, we all agree.

Backcourt can be fixed and a few options, Brooks goes back to point, Ty played point, we have freshmen point coming in, maybe Clayton/Strauss get developed and the portal

NU get killed on the board currently. They sat Hunger against Illinois case the game was to physical. How is NU going to compete with bigs in the league next year.

As bad as Clayton is, when Ty picked up two fouls, he went in the game. When MN needed a break, they went to Preston.

For me I want to see how Hunger plays against Rutgers, they pound the boards. Will Collins go to him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT