ADVERTISEMENT

Today is move-in day for NU's incoming class - here's a look at one of them

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Incoming freshman wide receiver Flynn Nagel is moving to Northwestern today, with the rest of his class, and he could be on the move up the depth chart soon.

Story: On the move ($)

I didn't realize Nagel was that fast. Almost as fast as Jango :)

I betcha this kid plays this year! Kind of a Justin Jackson thing in the sense that this kid is used to being the go to guy and producing at a very high level. Jackson surprised many of us by how good he was a true frosh last year. We need someone who can get open 24/7 as sure thing for our QB. We haven't had that since Ebert. I'm betting that Nagel is that.

I betcha this kid plays this year! Kind of a Justin Jackson thing in the sense that this kid is used to being the go to guy and producing at a very high level. Jackson surprised many of us by how good he was a true frosh last year. We need someone who can get open 24/7 as sure thing for our QB. We haven't had that since Ebert. I'm betting that Nagel is that.

The fact that we didn't go after Flynn is sticking in my craw. Why? We offered a ton of WR's and eventually got 4 verbals before we even offered. He had 2 brothers go to NU and this was his dream school. The services had him rated higher than our recruits, but it seems the staff didn't agree. Did he commit to Duke before we knew he would qualify to NU? It's Duke, but I've heard their admissions for athelete are more relaxed than NU.

If he comes out and immediately contributes, it raises the question of our evaluations at this position. I hope he comes out smoking, but there is lot of hype and expectations for the circumstance. We missed on Mikey Dudek a few seasons ago and I've seen some comparisons with Flynn. He does bring a different dimension than our other 3 recruits, so it is possible he sees the field this year. I think one of the 2015 WR recruits will. Here is hoping he is what many think he can be!

The fact that we didn't go after Flynn is sticking in my craw. Why? We offered a ton of WR's and eventually got 4 verbals before we even offered. He had 2 brothers go to NU and this was his dream school. The services had him rated higher than our recruits, but it seems the staff didn't agree. Did he commit to Duke before we knew he would qualify to NU? It's Duke, but I've heard their admissions for athelete are more relaxed than NU.

If he comes out and immediately contributes, it raises the question of our evaluations at this position. I hope he comes out smoking, but there is lot of hype and expectations for the circumstance. We missed on Mikey Dudek a few seasons ago and I've seen some comparisons with Flynn. He does bring a different dimension than our other 3 recruits, so it is possible he sees the field this year. I think one of the 2015 WR recruits will. Here is hoping he is what many think he can be!

NU was recruiting Nagel last spring. They wanted him to come in and run at a camp last June, but he wound up committing to Duke before the camp. That's the reason NU didn't offer him sooner. You know how Fitz feels about commitments, so he didn't approach Nagel's high school coach to gauge interest about a potential offer until Perry decommitted two days before signing day. There was interest on Nagel's part, Fitz offered, and the rest is history.

FWIW, I think that Nagel and Jelani Roberts have very good shots at playing in the fall.

NU was recruiting Nagel last spring. They wanted him to come in and run at a camp last June, but he wound up committing to Duke before the camp. That's the reason NU didn't offer him sooner. You know how Fitz feels about commitments, so he didn't approach Nagel's high school coach to gauge interest about a potential offer until Perry decommitted two days before signing day. There was interest on Nagel's part, Fitz offered, and the rest is history.

FWIW, I think that Nagel and Jelani Roberts have very good shots at playing in the fall.
Lou, do you think his cool interest in NU and commitment to Duke had something to do with the experience his brothers had in Evanston?

Lou, do you think his cool interest in NU and commitment to Duke had something to do with the experience his brothers had in Evanston?

I don't think he ever had "cool interest" in NU. He just didn't want to lose a great BCS opportunity, then Fitz stopped recruiting.

I ran into one of the Nagel brothers just after Flynn committed (He lives in the same neighborhood as me) and he was delighted that Flynn had the opportunity to come to Northwestern. There is no animosity towards the school from the Nagels, from what I can tell.

The fact that Flynn called NU his dream school and almost immediately committed when offered seems to be a good indication of how he feels about this school.

"You know how Fitz feels about commitments, so as soon as he had an open slot he immediately began recruiting Nagel."

Because he understands that all is fair in love and recruiting.
And that's a good thing.

"You know how Fitz feels about commitments, so as soon as he had an open slot he immediately began recruiting Nagel."

Because he understands that all is fair in love and recruiting.
And that's a good thing.

Did you learn to read at Auburn?

I didn't realize Nagel was that fast. Almost as fast as Jango :)
According to the times listed you are correct. I sensed a little sarcasm, but Jango ran a 4.52 laser time 2 months ago and Nagel is listed as a 4.53 laser

According to the times listed you are correct. I sensed a little sarcasm, but Jango ran a 4.52 laser time 2 months ago and Nagel is listed as a 4.53 laser

Appreciate your posting here. Just don't get too swayed by the occasional condescending attitude from some of the posters. They can't help themselves.

Reactions: CatsDad

That's exactly the point I was making, I wasn't being sarcastic, sorry it came across that way. We know kids and recruiting sites often mention eye-opening 40 times but they are usually handtimed, while I remember CatsDad saying that Jango ran a legit 4.52 laser time which is damn fast. Like I said before, it seems Jango can beat at least half of the skill players on the roster in a 40 yard foot race. Glad that he is a Cat.

Reactions: CatsDad
That's exactly the point I was making, I wasn't being sarcastic, sorry it came across that way. We know kids and recruiting sites often mention eye-opening 40 times but they are usually handtimed, while I remember CatsDad saying that Jango ran a legit 4.52 laser time which is damn fast. Like I said before, it seems Jango can beat at least half of the skill players on the roster in a 40 yard foot race. Glad that he is a Cat.
Sorry I mistook it. I have a few haters on here, but that comes with the territory. I really like this site. I think Lou does a great job of keeping everyone informed and he is probably the best I have seen out of Rivals. Not kissing butt, as you can see from my other posts I am not the biggest of Rivals fans, but I think Lou takes pride in what he does and does a great job. Thank you, we are just as happy to be a part of the Cats family. Most on here have welcomed us and have done a great job of welcoming others. I think if Jango ran track he would be faster. He needs to work on his starts more to get a better time, but in football you don't get to get in that stance. We have lots of great prospects in last years class and this years. They will all push each other to get better. I am not kidding or just blowing smoke when I say I think we will have really good teams. Our players may not have the hype or the rankings, but they are hard working and top quality kids who are all self motivated and capable of being leaders. Please come up and introduce yourself to Jango and I , would love to meet you. I am not worried about people stating their opinions, even if it isn't something I agree with. I state mine , so I have to be open to others stating theirs. Anyone can feel free to ask me anything, I will always be honest. IMG has a game on ESPNU on Aug 30 @ 2pm, watch your future Cat .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT