ADVERTISEMENT

UNC, Wake Forest schedule non-conference series

Styre

Oct 14, 2004
Due to conference realignment and expansion, UNC and Wake Forest, the third-oldest rivals in the ACC, will play in 2015 but not again until 2022. So today they announced a home-and-home non-conference series for 2019 and 2021.

Do we think we'll see something like this happen in the Big Ten, or will the move to a 9-game conference schedule help eliminate such long gaps in scheduling?

That's pretty interesting. I have never heard of two teams from the same conference playing a non-conference game. Just shows how ridiculous the whole super conference idea is, if teams can go almost 2 generations of students without playing.

Since B1G teams are supposed be playing three teams from the other division each year under the nine-game schedule, a seven-year gap should be impossible, assuming a home-and-home series and that you'd be switching out to other teams. Most of the time, there shouldn't be more than a two-year gap. Of course, this assumes the B1G stays at 14 teams. Any more than that, and it would be difficult to avoid large gaps,

I remember in Colorado's first year in the Pac-12, they played a non-conference game against Cal, but that was simply because they'd scheduled it before they knew they were joining the conference. Never heard of something like this.

Seriously, what's the point of a conference if you can go seven years without playing another team? Of course if we didn't play OSU for seven years I'd probably be okay with it.

There was a year - 2003?- when IU and Purdue only played once in basketball, so they scheduled a non-conference game in Indianapolis.

I seem to remember there being some talk of Minnesota and Michigan doing this a handful of years ago during a year in which they weren't schedule to play during the Big Ten slate. I don't think it came to fruition, though I can't remember why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT