ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Ta’Quan Roberson was NOT offered by NU

What are the potential athletic consequences of him testifying in regards to political protests on campus? Again, if his testimony was about improperly firing football coaches, hazing in sports, or any of the things GoU mentioned, by all means, have at it.
I care almost nothing about the topic itself; it’s the potential impact of his performance that could have dramatic implications on athletics.

In fact, his comments on a subject far removed from athletics could be extremely telling on what kind of cloth he's cut from and what we can expect from him as we work our way through multiple challenges to NU remaining competitive at the highest level of college athletics.
I don't agree. As an alumnus, I care deeply and passionately about NU generally, but it's a stretch to say his testimony on something like protests has any connection. "Sucks at one, must suck at everything " isn't a thing.

I do pay, and I'm not happy about posts being deleted that relate to the actions of President Schill that expose the University to potential legal liability. Why this is not relevant to athletics, such as recruiting, is beyond me. However, I won't hold my breath waiting for a response from the mods.
I vote with my wallet. It has about the same weight as my vote at the ballot box, but affords me a few more cocktails so I’ll take it.

It's not related to athletics, because he is testifying about a political issue, not an athletic issue.
You are an NU grad, yes? You do understand that things don’t have to be directly related to be relevant, have an impact, etc? For example, just on the congressional testimony:
  • Reputation resulting from testimony impacts institutional reputation and for a non athletic powerhouse, rep is more important (we have seen several prez testify and impact institutional reputation)
  • There are a zillion examples of Congress people going off topic in questioning and title ix is a big topic - very possible it could be asked about and testimony offered
  • The future of the underlying activities, especially w fall elections, have the potential to interrupt or impact home football games - seems like these cool peaceful protests are ever expanding their disruption
I could go on - point is, it’s not tough to find the tangential relationship to NU sports. Leads me to think that the real problem is the modern societal fear of discussion of conflicting opinions in a public arena. Damn shame - this country has produced great statesmen and debate is a fundamental principle of our patriotic bedrock.

I’m beginning to miss the rant board. At least it allowed a place for those discussion instead of taking over a thread about a portal QB.
It was the perfect solution. And despite the bad name that some have given it, there were actually only a few bad characters on there that caused trouble.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m beginning to miss the rant board. At least it allowed a place for those discussion instead of taking over a thread about a portal QB.

Well, someone disagrees with you and the others who wish for it to exist.
The rant board is gone forever and will not return under any circumstances. Any attempt to turn one of the boards into another rant board will not be well received by management.

Reactions: phatcat
It was the perfect solution. And despite the bad name that some have given it, there were actually only a few bad characters on there that caused trouble.
There is some joy in sending @Hungry Jack deeper and deeper into early-onset old man rage in a less-public setting tho. 😳🤔😉

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Well, someone disagrees with you and the others who wish for it to exist.
1. I love FloridaAlum. We went to several away games together and of course the bowl games. He was a good friend. But he has not been here to stop the rants occurring on the football board.

2. Those who caused the former issue are the ones who should have been banned instead of taking down the whole rant board in a Baby-bath water situation. However, I seldom read that board as I only care about the football and basketball aspects of NU sports so that is why I think it was the perfect place for rants. Out of site…..

3. I do acknowledge the irony of this current rant of my own making being posted on this board and this thread. But I don’t have the rant board to put this post in.

Last edited:
In the spirit of the recent activities near the NUFB practice field and the cappiness around here, folks around here should start punting an interesting comment in every new thread until certain rational demands are met and management agrees no punishment for those involved :)

Note - NUFB practice field and punting = relevant to NUFB — you’re welcome

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT