ADVERTISEMENT

Way to(o) Early 23-24 Lineup Thread

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
As someone challenged my belief in what next year holds for a few guys, and bored at Apres ski - figured how about this.

Assume Chase, Boo, Beran and VH are gone. Make your own choice on Barkley.

G - Berry
G - transfer
SF - BB
PF - Mart
C - MN

G - Roper, Strauss or Clayton
Big - Hunger, transfer

Attempted RS - Strauss or Clayton, Barkley

CCC brings in two transfers. A 3 and D forward and quality PG. Schollie count climbs to 11. CCC opts to pocket two instead of lower quality transfer options and hits the recruiting road hard seeking to land a quality G, F and C in the next class.

Results? No idea. No Boo or Chase makes me nervous. Berry < Chase, BB > 2023 Berry, Mart > Beran, 2024 MN >> 2023 MN but gaping ??? v Boo

Depends a lot on that transfer, team D buy in of newcomers and chemistry/luck factor.

But 10+ from BB and MN plus solid transfer and something from Mart or Hunger should mean we are competitive again and talking about first back to back dances. I will say less than 2nd in the B1G but return to the Dance. All of which would make me super happy and a CCC supporter.

Really really really need a good point guard
To underline the point, NU had arguably the best two guard combo in B1G and top 5 in the country. And they could possibly be gone. I still think it all or nothing zero or both return.

As someone challenged my belief in what next year holds for a few guys, and bored at Apres ski - figured how about this.

G - Berry
G - transfer
SF - BB
PF - Mart
C - MN

Big - Hunger, transfer

CCC brings in two transfers. A 3 and D forward and quality PG. Schollie count climbs to 11. CCC opts to pocket two instead of lower quality transfer options and hits the recruiting road hard seeking to land a quality G, F and C in the next class.

Results? No idea. No Boo or Chase makes me nervous. Berry < Chase, BB > 2023 Berry, Mart > Beran, 2024 MN >> 2023 MN but gaping ??? v Boo

Depends a lot on that transfer, team D buy in of newcomers and chemistry/luck factor.

But 10+ from BB and MN plus solid transfer and something from Mart or Hunger should mean we are competitive again and talking about first back to back dances. I will say less than 2nd in the B1G but return to the Dance. All of which would make me super happy and a CCC supporter.
The most likely lineup assuming Beran, Buie, and Audige don’t come back.

G- transfer or Strauss (maybe Clayton)
G-Berry
G-Roper
F-Barnhizer
C-MN

Bench- Martinelli, Hunger, transfer and/or Clayton

Barnhizer and the unknown G would be the primary ball handlers. Barnhizer would be leading scorer and we’d hope Berry avg 10+ a game. Or bring in a transfer who can score. Hope one of the guards is enough of a threat to penetrate to create looks for Nicholson rolling to the basket.

This team will need scoring in a bad way. I think most expect Barnhizer to step up and fill some of the void, and Berry and Nicholson might see an uptick, but where else will the scoring come from? Seems that the potential point guard is going to need to be a decent scorer as well.

I worry about chemistry a non-significant amount. Have no idea what kinds of leaders the seniors are on a chemistry level, but I can make a good guess. The voids they leave there will be more than just 17 ppg or lock-down defense.

This team will need scoring in a bad way. I think most expect Barnhizer to step up and fill some of the void, and Berry and Nicholson might see an uptick, but where else will the scoring come from? Seems that the potential point guard is going to need to be a decent scorer as well.
Martinelli definitely showed some stuff.

Let’s throw some fire on this: again seniors don’t return (assume none transfer) - at end of portal opportunities and coming off this amazing season, if we find ourselves back in the cellar of the B1G (13-14) - how are you all feeling about CCC?

To underline the point, NU had arguably the best two guard combo in B1G and top 5 in the country. And they could possibly be gone. I still think it all or nothing zero or both return.
I personally think the glaring need we have is a guard, ideally a PG, if not a combo guard solid enough to break the press easily.

Most important, a guard that can initiate, can create. I am not talking about the old "creates his own shot". I am talking about creating driving lanes, forcing help to collapse, creating movement and defenses unbalanced. For us, that was Buie and Audige. They are both (potentially) gone.

I believe Barnhizer will be plenty solid to take a lot of that load. But one player, unless you have Jalen Picket, is not enough.

Of course we need another big. Too much uncertainty, at this point, regarding Hunger, to not need one.

I'd guess to start the season you'd see the starting 5:

Guard - Transfer
Guard - Berry
Wing - Barnhizer
Wing - Mart
Center - 🎉Matt🎉

By the time we get into conference play, it will depend on how well Roper is playing.

Last edited:
I'd guess to start the season you'd see the starting 5:

Guard - Transfer
Guard - Berry
Wing - Barnhizer
Wing - Mart
Center - 🎉Matt🎉

By the time we get into conference play, it will depend on how well Roper is playing.
CCC really likes Roper (I do too). He was playing key minutes down the stretch before his injury. CCC trusts Roper to play both ends of the court. With health, I think he starts game one over Mart. That makes for a small line-up, but that's the same as we used in late-game situations this year.

Let’s throw some fire on this: again seniors don’t return (assume none transfer) - at end of portal opportunities and coming off this amazing season, if we find ourselves back in the cellar of the B1G (13-14) - how are you all feeling about CCC?
I don't know that we've built a program that demands yearly trips to the NCAA. Having been in school during the Carmody era, 2 NCAA tourney trips in 6 years would've been very welcome, although still less than ideal for a B1G school. I wonder if we're currently a NCAA tourney every 3-4 years type of place (developing recruits with less reliance on the portal). I think CCC has the good graces to miss the tourney next year (IF BB and Chase move on).

I don't know that we've built a program that demands yearly trips to the NCAA. Having been in school during the Carmody era, 2 NCAA tourney trips in 6 years would've been very welcome, although still less than ideal for a B1G school. I wonder if we're currently a NCAA tourney every 3-4 years type of place (developing recruits with less reliance on the portal). I think CCC has the good graces to miss the tourney next year (IF BB and Chase move on).
Aahhh - that’s my expectation. You talked about dancing. I asked about return to bottom two team next year. On your twist, I agree that doesn’t necessarily condemn CCC. But on my hypothetical, I think many questions return and that seat develops some warmth.

So - anyone want to play my actual scenario out?

Given that a pretty good Ohio State finished 13th in the BIG this year, it's all relative., Heck, the difference between 2nd and 9th was two games so unless the team is really bad and non-competitive, I don't see his seat getting warm again.

Aahhh - that’s my expectation. You talked about dancing. I asked about return to bottom two team next year. On your twist, I agree that doesn’t necessarily condemn CCC. But on my hypothetical, I think many questions return and that seat develops some warmth.

So - anyone want to play my actual scenario out?
Oof, I misread your original question. My apologies. He has two years of being a cellar dweller before his seat gets hot imo. Thinking about football, we’ve had two horrendous years and there isn’t any hint of that seat heating up. It’s comparing apples to oranges, but this season has probably bought at least two years of goodwill.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Oof, I misread your original question. My apologies. He has two years of being a cellar dweller before his seat gets hot imo. Thinking about football, we’ve had two horrendous years and there isn’t any hint of that seat heating up. It’s comparing apples to oranges, but this season has probably bought at least two years of goodwill.
Boy I hope not. And PF has that golden boy, was NU AA, youngest coach, blah blah blah. He just hasn’t aged well.

CCC picked Duke over NU. Only way he gains PF power is to turn NU into a successful program. Which can happen (screw the admissions crowd).

But it’s seems feast or famine w CCC. And lots of famine then some feast. To me, that’s just another step, like KON and BC, on the road to relevance. And I would hate to see him locked in for another 5+ for which we suffer most the time.

BUT if he brings something next year, even a NIT, I think we keep the experiment going.

This has been a great year to root for NUMBB - but I think next year is the litmus test for CCC.

Given that a pretty good Ohio State finished 13th in the BIG this year, it's all relative., Heck, the difference between 2nd and 9th was two games so unless the team is really bad and non-competitive, I don't see his seat getting warm again.
It stubs me to see how bad OSU did this year. But if they run back another bottom two finish, think Holtmann retains his job? And Holtmann boasts a better conference record.

Often, this is where someone chimes in with admissions, best NU can do, blah, blah, blah…

I wonder if any of you successful alum have subscribed to the ‘dress for the job you want, not the one you have’ cliche. To those, treat the program like the program you want, not the one you have. If CCC proves to be a milestone accomplished with a ceiling, then seek the next one to break that ceiling.

And again, I think this is a great chance for CCC to show he is a game changing coach. Run it back and succeed. Don’t care how - convince the guards to return, recruit the portal successfully, whatever. Opportunity is right there. Prove me wrong (I kinda think lowery was the difference maker…but willing to eat the crow served next post season) - but Shaka Smart seemingly has shown that a season, or two, doesn’t make one a great coach.

Boy I hope not. And PF has that golden boy, was NU AA, youngest coach, blah blah blah. He just hasn’t aged well.

CCC picked Duke over NU. Only way he gains PF power is to turn NU into a successful program. Which can happen (screw the admissions crowd).

But it’s seems feast or famine w CCC. And lots of famine then some feast. To me, that’s just another step, like KON and BC, on the road to relevance. And I would hate to see him locked in for another 5+ for which we suffer most the time.

BUT if he brings something next year, even a NIT, I think we keep the experiment going.

This has been a great year to root for NUMBB - but I think next year is the litmus test for CCC.
I don't think there's much to debate about Chris Collins.
He's going to get an extension.
My opinions on his strengths and weaknesses hasn't changed much - except that I will acknowledge that the two seasons before this one may have been the outliers - where his use of his talented roster was just awful. This year? Much better.

Gragg does not strike me as a strong negotiator.
So the new contract could be borderline insane.

If the new assistant coaching staff brought new perspective and Collins has found religion on how and who NU should recruit and play, thats a fantastic development. Northwestern has some real advantages/appeal for the right types of student/athletes. As always, you have to play to your strengths.

It will be interesting to see how long Lowery (and Battle) stick around.

G - Berry
G - transfer
SF - BB
PF - Mart
C - MN

Big - Hunger, transfer

Well, looks like my belief of Roper not starting was correct. And absent a rush of transfers in, probably gonna need both frosh guards to be ready to play. That is not good…

• Sad
Reactions: DaCat
We’ll see who comes back. Without Chase or Boo it will likely be a challenging year. Having said that, what happened this season compared to my and most others projections was close to a miracle! Fortunately, the players don’t play any intention to any of our projections.

We’ll see who comes back. Without Chase or Boo it will likely be a challenging year. Having said that, what happened this season compared to my and most others projections was close to a miracle! Fortunately, the players don’t play any intention to any of our projections.
Reading between the lines, it seems Roper transferring would seem to indicate that Buie and probably Audige are returning. Based on that assumption, next season could be pretty exciting again.

Reading between the lines, it seems Roper transferring would seem to indicate that Buie and probably Audige are returning.
It may indicate he doesn't think he will start over Barnheiser, the guy who stepped in after Julian was hurt and played great at that position.

G - Berry
G - transfer
SF - BB
PF - Mart
C - MN

Big - Hunger, transfer

Let’s revisit - I’m going two ways as I think Boo and Chase follow the same path - so with and without:

With:
PG - Boo
OG - Chase
SF - BB
F - Mart
C - MN

First three:
Berry
Mullins
Preston then Hunger (as in Hunger over takes)

Problem here is no real backup PG. Chase and BB probably handle most of the non Boo handle time.

Without:
PG - pick a frosh
G - Berry
SF - BB
F - Mart
C - MN

First three -
Mullins
Preston
Hunger

Ok, huge problems. Starting a frosh at PG is more often bad than good. And even Mac hit freshman wall. Next, is who’s next? BB? Another frosh?

Also, some might say Mullins came here to start. Well, if boo and chase return, no. But without, where? Gotta have a primary ball handler. How many times have we seen pushing that round peg into square hole…Tim Doyle and a zillion since… So frosh PG. Are you sitting Berry or BB? BB - no. Berry - has earned it over a low conference transfer. Mart? Ok. Run frosh PG, underwhelming Berry, BB in first full starting season, Mullins at 6’6” and MN. And where are your points coming from? BB? That’s a big jump. MN? How many archive posts say he would be marginal B1G at best - now top two on our team?

This entire season depends on boo and chase. Neither will get drafted.

Really hope CCC and the NU NIL program are on top of this … or more and better transfer guards lie in the weeds.

Can Mullins handle PG duties?
With 1 assist avg and higher TO average over 29 mpg in a lesser conference, I’m guessing it’s like using Doyle, Turner, etc. Not a smart choice v defending PG of a B1G team….

Hopefully he’ll be back to do the same. If not, we might see Clayton get a few minutes. Will be interesting to see how CCC handles.
If Boo and Chase do not return, and assuming the frosh won't be ready to play a lot of minutes, my guess is that the primary ball handlers will be Brooks and Ty. Remember that Brooks was a PG in high school and showed decent handles last year. Ty is a combo guard and can run the offense if needed. Collins also likes to talk about "positionless" basketball and in theory everyone but the big should be able to handle the ball. We know of course in reality it doesn't work that well without a true PG.

G - Berry
G - transfer
SF - BB
PF - Mart
C - MN

Big - Hunger, transfer

After today, let’s revisit:

PG - Boo
2G - Berry
SF - BB
PF - mart
C - MN

First three:
Hunger, Lang, Pres

Allows CCC to:
  • Start guys knowing the D
  • Work on experienced guys to learn the D
  • Let the frosh to practice at D1 speed and get better assessment until…
  • Injuries / illness forces them to pick from the remaining lottery tickets.
I love this lineup. Three primary scoring options, Berry can really focus on sharp shooting and D. Pick and roll w Boo and MN w a floating BB should leave Berry open a bunch.

Gives real minutes to hunger and a reason for him to stay (maybe surplant Mart at the 4 - would be awesome if due to great play).

Gives frosh chance to either earn minutes on merit and replace one year transfers or take a shirt.

And I still think Chase returns….

This team won’t surprise anyone - hope they take an attitude reflective

This was a projection I saw. Has Berry bouncing back next year, which would be nice, kid works hard

Interesting. Has Blake Preston playing more than 50% of minutes and having a statistical impact close to Nicholson. I don't know if that's something to be concerned about for Nicholson or excited about with Preston. They apparently are not bullish on Martinelli, Hunger, and Mullins.

Hunger could be a huge piece if it allows NU to keep a big on the court almost full time with Matt N getting most minutes but then BB at 4 spot. This is small at PF 4 spot but a rotation option vs. Necessity. Still would want another P4 with last scholarship if Chase does not return as the best option seems to be a Sr. Martinelli at 6-7 can take minutes but will give away height at that position although he is a scrapper.

I don't see Collins playing Hunger and Nicholson together too often. ("Too big")

If Nicholson can play 25 minutes a game, thats good. 27 minutes? Better! But thats probably the upper limit.

Preston seems like a max of 17 minutes per game, unless Nicholson gets hurt. But I'd expect to see Hunger at the 5 some of the time. And I'd guess Hunger will play the 4 some of the time when Preston is in the game, because Preston is a bit undersized for a Big Ten center.

Torvik's projection of Clayton playing 34% of the minutes as a freshman backup point guard seems like a lot. Admittedly, Coach Collins is not afraid to play freshmen. In reverse chronological order, here are their minutes by season...

Martinelli (10.4),
Roper (20.8)
Berry (13.8)
Buie (28.0) and Beran (21.4)
Kopp (16.6) and Nance (13.1)
Gaines (19.1)
Brown (15.1)
Pardon (16.8) and Falzon (26.3)
Lindsey (16.8), Law (22.5) and McIntosh (33.8)
Lumpkin (31.2).

We have a pretty good Big Ten team with the currently committed roster.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

PG - Boo
2G - Berry
SF - BB
PF - mart
C - MN

First three:
Hunger, Lang, Pres

Allows CCC to:
I love this lineup. Three primary scoring options, Berry can really focus on sharp shooting and D. Pick and roll w Boo and MN w a floating BB should leave Berry open a bunch.

Gives real minutes to hunger and a reason for him to stay (maybe surplant Mart at the 4 - would be awesome if due to great play).

Gives frosh chance to either earn minutes on merit and replace one year transfers or take a shirt.

Now that Chase is not returning, I believe the starting lineup once the B1G season starts in earnest will be:

1 Buie
2 Ty Berry
3 Langborg
4 Brooks B
5 Big Matt

Hunger, Martinelli, Mulins, Preston give Collins some good options for match ups, leaving the three frosh to scrap for minutes. In this scenario we replace Audige with Langborg and Beran with BB. If the buzz about Martinelli improving is true, then that would allow BB to play more at the 3 or 2 spot, which suits him better.

Reactions: NUCat320

PG - Boo
2G - Berry
SF - BB
PF - mart
C - MN

First three:
Hunger, Lang, Pres

Allows CCC to:

I’m going to stick with My lineup. That said, I hope hunger plays the stretch four and we see minutes shift towards hunger throughout the year. A rotation of MN, Mart and Hunger to fill the two big spots sounds delicious if earned on merit. Throw in some BB at the four small ball and I can see some fun to watch offense. CCC, the D mastermind, can surely craft a good D to match…or someone there can ;)

I’m going to stick with My lineup. That said, I hope hunger plays the stretch four and we see minutes shift towards hunger throughout the year. A rotation of MN, Mart and Hunger to fill the two big spots sounds delicious if earned on merit. Throw in some BB at the four small ball and I can see some fun to watch offense. CCC, the D mastermind, can surely craft a good D to match…or someone there can ;)
Is it too (sic) late to fix the grammar on the thread title?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT