ADVERTISEMENT

Way to(o) Early 23-24 Lineup Thread

Just my somewhat naive opinion but I think you guys are going to be pretty solid again next year. From the few times I watched, Barnhizer is a better basketball player than Beran so the biggest challenge will be replacing Audige - who was tough as nails on defense but inconsistent on offense. Probably either Berry or one of the transfers picks up the slack there.

With Edey back Purdue has to be the favorite again for the B1G title. MSU is going to be pretty solid since they only lost Hauser from the starting lineup. I haven't followed the guys going/coming for Rutgers but I think NW battles IN and maybe Maryland? for the 3-5 spots. IL, OSU, IA, maybe WI, RU? slot in at the 5-10 positions. Michigan seems to be weaker with Dickinson, Howard, and Bufkin gone. NEB, PSU, MN keep rebuilding. Just early thoughts.

Fair assessment. Of the guys on the team, Mullins has the biggest potential upside. Could be an Audige with a little better offensive game and not as good but very athletic defender as Audige

I'm also pretty sure the staff is looking to fill that 13th schollie. There's no Roy Dixon this season.

In order of least to most likely

1) An impact player, a 3/4. There might be like 2 remaining. Extremely unlikely.

2) You could get a development player, even a lower profile than Mullins. It's less risky than recruiting out of high school as you get a guy you have actually seen going up against stiffer competition. Even if the, let's say, Summit League, competition is extremely above high school. Portal working as a correction of HS evaluations.

3) Most likely, just get a senior that can improve practice. There's value in that. Of course a guy that fits culturally and does not expect more. Don't plant discord in the locker room.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Might want to keep the extra scholarship in case MN stays an extra year

Does anyone know when summer workouts start for the team? Is anyone able t see them?

Might want to keep the extra scholarship in case MN stays an extra year
Could get a player just to improve scrimmage in practice. Most likely scenario anyway.

I don't keep up with the projected schollies, but the portal seems to point to expecting a couple of departures each year anyway.

Last position of need is PF. Guards are easier to find. Wing has a good two deep for next year.

I'm also pretty sure the staff is looking to fill that 13th schollie. There's no Roy Dixon this season.

In order of least to most likely

1) An impact player, a 3/4. There might be like 2 remaining. Extremely unlikely.

2) You could get a development player, even a lower profile than Mullins. It's less risky than recruiting out of high school as you get a guy you have actually seen going up against stiffer competition. Even if the, let's say, Summit League, competition is extremely above high school. Portal working as a correction of HS evaluations.

3) Most likely, just get a senior that can improve practice. There's value in that. Of course a guy that fits culturally and does not expect more. Don't plant discord in the locker room.
My understanding is that Northwestern cannot recruit undergrads who have completed more than two years of college. Its an admissions requirement that at least 50% of the student's credits must come from NU classes in order to earn an undergrad degree.
(something along those lines)

Anyhow, one way to look at the roster is

Center - Nicholson / Preston / Hunger
Power Forward - Martinelli / Barnhizer / Hunger / Barkley
Small Forward - Barnhizer / Mullins / Langborg / Berry
Shooting Guard - Berry / Langborg / Mullins
Point Guard - Buie / Clayton / Strauss / ???

Collins has always played a freshman meaningful minutes. That may well have been out of necessity, but Clayton seems most likely to be that guy, because we need to get someone experience at point guard for the post-Buie era.

I look at that roster and think we're in good shape... but Nicholson, Buie and Barnhizer have to stay healthy.

There is no need to keep a scholarship “open.” There are 3 players with one year of eligibility remaining: Buie, Langborg, and Preston.

There is no need to keep a scholarship “open.” There are 3 players with one year of eligibility remaining: Buie, Langborg, and Preston.

There is no need to “reach” just to fill an open scholarship. There are 3 players with one year of eligibility remaining: Buie, Langborg, and Preston. Would rather hold onto the fourth to see how the season goes. Ideally sign two blue chip high school recruits and two transfers next season.

PF for final spot would help. BB is small for that role and seems a natural 3. I thought Preston would take minutes at the 4 spot. Teams can win with one role player which usually means some talent gaps but if Martinelli has improved he is a scrapper and easy to root for.

Reactions: IGNORE2
PF for final spot would help. BB is small for that role and seems a natural 3. I thought Preston would take minutes at the 4 spot. Teams can win with one role player which usually means some talent gaps but if Martinelli has improved he is a scrapper and easy to root for.
Agree that Barnhizer is a natural 3 (my opinion) but, because Nicholson is so big, Barnhizer can play the 4 when Nicholson is out there. I think Collins tends to focus on quickness and will favor lineups that are smaller and can move tha ball (and their feet), as long as they work.

Preston doesn't have stats that suggest he is anything but a 5. Not much shooting or scoring away from the basket. He's a mid-major center - smaller than most Big Ten centers, without the offensive skills of Filip Rebraca, for example. But that was Verhoeven and he did fine, as a backup. Preston may get 15 minutes a game, though if Luke Hunger steals some of those minutes, so be it.

There is no need to “reach” just to fill an open scholarship. There are 3 players with one year of eligibility remaining: Buie, Langborg, and Preston. Would rather hold onto the fourth to see how the season goes. Ideally sign two blue chip high school recruits and two transfers next season.
I think that makes sense, but another grad transfer would be alright.
Nicholson and Berry are both seniors next year, though, and either may move on.
So potentially 5 open scholarships, ignoring possibility of other guys transferring out.

After today, let’s revisit:

PG - Boo
2G - Berry
SF - BB
PF - mart
C - MN

First three:
Hunger, Lang, Pres

Allows CCC to:
  • Start guys knowing the D
  • Work on experienced guys to learn the D
  • Let the frosh to practice at D1 speed and get better assessment until…
  • Injuries / illness forces them to pick from the remaining lottery tickets.
I love this lineup. Three primary scoring options, Berry can really focus on sharp shooting and D. Pick and roll w Boo and MN w a floating BB should leave Berry open a bunch.

Gives real minutes to hunger and a reason for him to stay (maybe surplant Mart at the 4 - would be awesome if due to great play).

Gives frosh chance to either earn minutes on merit and replace one year transfers or take a shirt.

And I still think Chase returns….

This team won’t surprise anyone - hope they take an attitude reflective
Revisit time and adding BIG avg mpg:

Boo - 35
Berry - 20 - hot 3 dependent
BB - 32
Mart - 23
MN - 30

Clayton - 5
Strauss or Mullins - 5
Langford - 20 - hot 3 dependent
Hunger - 15
Preston - 15

My X factor is Mart. I would say BB but that’s low hanging fruit - I think is already better than 12/5/2 w 35% for 3 - which would be pretty awesome for first time starter. Also, I expect MN to avg a double double this season. If we can get 10 & 5 with some D from Mart, this team can continue to blow some minds. I have no reason to see why not outside injury.

I also think running the pick and roll Utah style every play w Berry / Lang in a corner, BB slashing and Mart lurking around the baseline could create some real fun to watch Bball. After the Bulls, I also enjoyed the Malone/Stockton short shorts, back to basics Bball in the day.

I also want Duke on the schedule ;)

Reactions: GatoLouco

Boo - 35
BB - 32
Mart - 23
MN - 30

Clayton - 5
Strauss or Mullins - 5
Hunger - 15
Preston - 15

My X factor is Mart. I would say BB but that’s low hanging fruit - I think is already better than 12/5/2 w 35% for 3 - which would be pretty awesome for first time starter. Also, I expect MN to avg a double double this season. If we can get 10 & 5 with some D from Mart, this team can continue to blow some minds. I have no reason to see why not outside injury.

I also think running the pick and roll Utah style every play w Berry / Lang in a corner, BB slashing and Mart lurking around the baseline could create some real fun to watch Bball. After the Bulls, I also enjoyed the Malone/Stockton short shorts, back to basics Bball in the day.

I believe we can survive injuries from everyone other than Buie, and still contend for a first ever back to back tourney.

Excited to see how some guys developed. For all we know, Mullins might play a much bigger role than expected after a freshman to sophomore summer. Hunger, Martinelli, we should see a significant bump.

Last edited:

Boo - 35
BB - 32
Mart - 23
MN - 30

Clayton - 5
Strauss or Mullins - 5
Hunger - 15
Preston - 15

My guess is that we open the season with this group as the starters...

Nicholson / Barnhizer / Berry / Langborg / Buie

with these lineups getting playing time

Preston / Martinelli or Hunger / Barnhizer / Langborg or Berry / Buie
Nicholson / Martinelli / Barnhizer or Langborg or Berry / Barnhizer or Langborg or Berry / Buie

We may see Mullins out there for Barnhizer or Martinelli.
I'm thinking the freshman Jordan Clayton will play when Buie needs a break.

I believe most of us expected BB to play 4 and be a starter. It was what he was doing late last season.
If history is any guide, we will see "the starters" as a unit for about 8-10 minutes a game.
They will start both halves.
Collins will substitute frequently and rarely re-combine the starters as a unit during the game.
That has been his approach.

I am hoping that the lineup of Nicholson / Barnhizer / Langborg / Berry / Buie is so effective that Collins will alter that philosophy and get them 12-15 minutes together per game, but that would be a significant change.

I'd also expect Martinelli to elbow his way into minutes alongside Nicholson (with Barnhizer at the 3).
Our expected depth is Martinelli (3,4), Preston (5), Hunger (4,5), Clayton (1) and Mullins (2,3).
Mullins was listed as 6'6" as a freshman. NU has him at 6'4".
Not many guards! That means Barnhizer has to play the 3 in order for most of those guys to see the court.

I believe we can survive injuries from everyone other than Buie, and still contend for a first ever back to back tourney.

Excited to see how some guys developed. For all we know, Mullins might play a much bigger role than expected after a freshman to sophomore summer. Hunger, Martinelli, we should see a significant bump.
I generally agree with this, which is both exciting and scary.

I know the starters gotta gel, but really hoping that CCC can keep Boo’s minutes down in some of the noncon slate.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Boo - 35
BB - 32
Mart - 23
MN - 30

Clayton - 5
Strauss or Mullins - 5
Hunger - 15
Preston - 15

Was wrong on MN. Understated BB. My Xfactor Mart is approaching that 10 & 5 w some D. I hope Berry or Lang - never expected Berry and Lang.

This is still a good team despite missing Berry. If MN, Mart, Hunger, Mullins keep building on their numbers, these guys can play with anyone on any given night.

Reactions: cats_man_too
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT