ADVERTISEMENT

What do people think of BIG seedings?

I believe I saw a shirt last night that said something like "Virginia: The Iowa Football of Basketball".
I also saw said shirt.

Also, screw the teams that reject the NIT. Ultimately I might even thank them for doing it as if they don't want to be there they are likely to give us dumb games. But the attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
It was glorious.

GJFWT9MXUAAKKUT.jpg

It was really obvious that Virginia didn't deserve their bid. They were by far the worst at-large bid using Torvik's "Performance against Top 100 teams" filter. Something dreadful like #125.
I know they finished 3rd in the ACC, but with unbalanced conference schedules, that doesn't mean as much as it should.

It would be nice if the NCAA would do something smart like guarantee a bid to the top 3 finishers in each of the 6 (5?) major conferences. Then the regular season conference games take on a little more significance. It also establishes some certainty.

Let the conference decide what to do if their tournament winner is not one of the top 3. Presumably take the automatic bid for the third place team and give it to the conference tournament champ.

They'd still have plenty of flexibility with the at-large bids.

It was really obvious that Virginia didn't deserve their bid. They were by far the worst at-large bid using Torvik's "Performance against Top 100 teams" filter. Something dreadful like #125.
I know they finished 3rd in the ACC, but with unbalanced conference schedules, that doesn't mean as much as it should.

It would be nice if the NCAA would do something smart like guarantee a bid to the top 3 finishers in each of the 6 (5?) major conferences. Then the regular season conference games take on a little more significance. It also establishes some certainty.

Let the conference decide what to do if their tournament winner is not one of the top 3. Presumably take the automatic bid for the third place team and give it to the conference tournament champ.

They'd still have plenty of flexibility with the at-large bids.
What happens when you have like an 8-way tie for third place like the BIG had last year??!! 🤪

• Wow
Reactions: EagerFan
The B1G isn’t exactly a powerhouse this year. Several decent teams, maybe 2 that are very good. Win more games and you won’t be a 8-9 seed.
Not even suggesting that the conference deserves higher seeds (well maybe Nebraska could have been moved up to a 7) Just that hard to see them as all 8-9. Could have had a 10 seed (MSU) and it would be on the other side of the bracket going against a 2 seed for example if they made it through to the second game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT