ADVERTISEMENT

What would cause you to drop a sport?

Originally posted by LookGoodInPurple:
but I know in my heart that MLAX is probably not going to happen at NU in my lifetime due to Title IX. Which is fine by me. I have 3 daughters that play WLAX, so happy to root for the girls in purple. Besides, I'm kinda liking the women's game a bit more these days.
I'd much rather have men's lax than women's fencing, but it is what it is. We're very successful with women's fencing and apparently we do it in an affordable manner.

It's a major waste of resources to have a great lax stadium--and we're building new locker rooms for lax, too--but only for one team. Not that they don't deserve it of course. They deserve it more than any other NU team in my opinion. On the other hand, with a limited amount of space... well, you see my point. It'd be great to have men's lax here.

You hit on probably the biggest advantage of adding MLAX. You have the lacrosse infrastructure already... adding another program would be less cost than adding a completely new sport, I would suspect.

Side comment (non-sequitur):
One of the biggest problems with baseball is that the fields take up about two multipurpose fields for a sport like football, lacrosse, and soccer. It pains me to drive around the suburbs and seeing empty baseball fields while the other sports which are growing rapidly don't have the field space to add the teams. My lax teams I coach are forced to play on a sloped field with plenty of ankle-breaker ruts. Oh yeah, the field also doubles as a dog park, so they kids get lots of surprises in their cleats at the end of practice. Meanwhile, I drive by the baseball fields in the Western Suburbs and they are often empty during prime practice times during the Spring. I'm not saying this is the case nationally, but its my experience personally.

An anecdote is short and amusing account of a specific event. While I did mention that I learned something in a class, the important part wasn't that I learned something in a class which is anecdotal. What was important was that 5 year programs increased rapidly post the baby boomer generation. That is not anecdotal. That's not a specific event.

You're using NU as a microcosm for the world. NU is not. NU is filled with super intelligent kids that are looking to go into the job market. It is also in a major city so year long internships are much more available. You know all of this. You're just a pain in the ass.

I'm taking my toys and playing with people that don't get their kicks off of acting like an idiot on the internet to piss people off.

Originally posted by shakes3858:

You're using NU as a microcosm for the world. NU is not. NU is filled with super intelligent kids that are looking to go into the job market. It is also in a major city so year long internships are much more available. You know all of this. You're just a pain in the ass.
You can't even name any of these 5-year majors at NU or anywhere else.

I have been involved with four universities and you are so full of shit that it's incredible. If a football player at NIU can't graduate in 4 years, with summer courses and good planning, then screw him. A regular student might know he has a certain amount of money to make it through school, but if he messes around and doesn't plan correctly, he's fracked up the ass with a baseball bat and he won't get a goddamn motherfracking redshirt!

Dual BA/BM at NU is one. Architecture at TSISB is another. Neither has a year long internship program.

Anyway, do you even try to make sense when you post? What does a non-scholarship athlete's finances have to do with scholarship athletes going into 5 year programs? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.

Dual BA/BM at NU is one. Architecture at TSISB is another. Neither has a year long internship program.

Anyway, do you even try to make sense when you post? What does a non-scholarship athlete's finances have to do with scholarship athletes going into 5 year programs? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.
It took you only an entire day to name two. Congratu-frackyou-lations!

You are the densest NU alumn I know, though I know you slipped in through Speech or SESP. Why shouldn't scholarship athletes actually have to pay attention to their funding like, you know, regular students? If you have funding for 4 years, then you either do a 4-year program or have to find funding for your 5th year.

It took me 30 seconds and google, but again, you make 0 sense.

Some scholarship athletes like football players help bring in millions of dollars to the university. As such, I'm ok with them wanting funding for a 5 year program.

Some scholarship athletes like football players help bring in millions of dollars to the university. As such, I'm ok with them wanting funding for a 5 year program.
Now your argument has shifted from "Hey, there are a lot of 5-year major programs and that's why we need to make sure these football players get a 5th year" to "Hey, they're making a lot of money for the school so give 'em a 5th year."

Why not pay the players in the first place and let them manage their finances?

Amen, Purpl. Philosophically that makes the most sense to me.
LGIP, I know you dislike me for some reason. I think it has to do with my curiosity about your distaste for Jacksonville, but could have started before then. That's all fine and good by me, but you know that kid in the playground that just stands there and instead of pitching insults just "Yeah, yeah, good one." "Yeah, yeah, what he said." Congratulations, you're now that kid.

Originally posted by Purplicious:

Now your argument has shifted from "Hey, there are a lot of 5-year major programs and that's why we need to make sure these football players get a 5th year" to "Hey, they're making a lot of money for the school so give 'em a 5th year."

My argument hasn't shifted. My argument is athletes deserve 5 years to graduate because sometimes it takes 5 years to complete a major.

You don't pay them because it's amateur athletics and goes against everything the NCAA represents. You trade athletic performance for an education. If it takes 5 years, it takes 5 years.

It's a messageboard, shakes. Don't take things too personally. And don't tell me what I can and can't do on this board. If I agree with Purplicious' points then I suppose I'm allowed to do that. Don't get all butthurt because your arguments are hollow.

And do you really think the Jacksonville comment even remotely enters my mind? The town still is glorified strip mall.

And don't tell me what I can and can't do on this board
Ha ha, but remember that when somebody posts a baseball thread on the football board!

My argument hasn't shifted. My argument is athletes deserve 5 years to graduate because sometimes it takes 5 years to complete a major.

You don't pay them because it's amateur athletics and goes against everything the NCAA represents. You trade athletic performance for an education. If it takes 5 years, it takes 5 years.
Why not 6 years? The NCAA uses 6 years for at least one metric on graduation rates.

As for your comment on amateur athletics, then I assume you're in favor of the schools and the NCAA not keeping the funds generated by these amateur athletes?

Did I tell you what to do or post? I only said that in this discussion, you're the kid in the playground with nothing to say accept agree with the person going after the person you don't like.

I'm comfortable with 5 years. 6 is going to allow non-academic oriented athletes to do the bare minimum through touch of their college career.

And no, they shouldn't keep the money... They should use the money to benefit athletes and all students on campus. That's why universities and athletic departments and the NCAA are non-profits.

And don't tell me what I can and can't do on this board
Ha ha, but remember that when somebody posts a baseball thread on the football board!
That was just posting common sense
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Did I tell you what to do or post? I only said that in this discussion, you're the kid in the playground with nothing to say accept agree with the person going after the person you don't like.
It's a discussion... and I was agreeing. I was giving feedback to Purplicious on her thoughts. I think that is allowed in the great messageboard rulebook.

And I suspect its your own irrational need for messageboard approval that makes you think the only reason I'm agreeing with Purplicious is because somehow you think I don;'t like you.

And for what its worth, if you're trying to imply by your accusation that I don't have anything useful to say on these boards, then I guess you're right about me not liking you.
This post was edited on 6/20 3:26 PM by LookGoodInPurple

My implication is that Purps comments are so bad you couldn't possibly agree with them

My implication is that Purps comments are so bad you couldn't possibly agree with them
Oh please, you're one of the biggest jokes on this board. You should be thankful for Wrassler and Turk-ey and E Lady Thai Boi Cat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT