ADVERTISEMENT

Where would we be if we had Bill Carmody still?

I just hope the school starts giving Coach Collins real support. He asked for more recruiting money but he needs more admission leeway. People say, "Fitz is winning in football with the same restrictions" but football is Northwestern's signature sport. Basketball has gotten a lot of monetary support lately but it's still dwarfed by the funds going toward football.

When Collins has a good year again, he must leverage it for more recruiting discretion. Cheating in recruitment among other programs has gotten so bad in basketball that lowering our admissions standards closer to the NCAA minimum is the only path forward. Collins should tell the administration, "Hey, if I pick guys who can't get the grades, then that will be on me."

It'll never happen, of course, not with our administration and admissions people.

The bottom line is that admissions and the administration doesn't trust our coaches to use good judgment on recruiting. They think our coaches will offer too many kids who will get into academic trouble and ruin the school's reputation.

In the end the university is perfectly happy to be just "okay" as long as we're not embarrassing like in the Dark Ages.

I’m not a college basketball fan, but there are many academic powerhouse schools (Duke, Vandy, etc).

I’m not a college basketball fan, but there are many academic powerhouse schools (Duke, Vandy, etc).

Duke and Vandy accept the bare minimum. They do a great job keeping the kids eligible and I don't begrudge them. They are playing within the confines of the eligibility rules. Our administration via the admissions department, on the other hand, wears our losing record on our chest like a badge of honor: "We weren't really trying to be that good anyway."

Reactions: willycat
Listen, we didn’t even get a compromise type or a real secondary recruit. Brown wasn’t a point and Vassar was not a Big Ten player.
They were attempts to get someone who could be serviceable at PG while also getting some upside in other areas that could help. An attempt to get lightning in a bottle so that they could find other ways on the floor and it would not be someone who had no other role than as a backup PG but while we got that, they never embraced the primary reason they were brought in and that was to be at least serviceable at PG. It did not work but it was an effort

I just hope the school starts giving Coach Collins real support. He asked for more recruiting money but he needs more admission leeway. People say, "Fitz is winning in football with the same restrictions" but football is Northwestern's signature sport. Basketball has gotten a lot of monetary support lately but it's still dwarfed by the funds going toward football.

When Collins has a good year again, he must leverage it for more recruiting discretion. Cheating in recruitment among other programs has gotten so bad in basketball that lowering our admissions standards closer to the NCAA minimum is the only path forward. Collins should tell the administration, "Hey, if I pick guys who can't get the grades, then that will be on me."

It'll never happen, of course, not with our administration and admissions people.

The bottom line is that admissions and the administration doesn't trust our coaches to use good judgment on recruiting. They think our coaches will offer too many kids who will get into academic trouble and ruin the school's reputation.

In the end the university is perfectly happy to be just "okay" as long as we're not embarrassing like in the Dark Ages.
Has to be more money going to FB. About 6-7 times as many scholarships and brings in several times as much cash as well. Have to take care of the goose

I still think last years team was good at everything except shooting. They were so bad at shooting it made it hard to see any bright spots. The effort was so there. Hard to figure as well...shooting is the easy skill...CCC has my vote

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the play?

It is a valid point, though, It wasn't like "jeez, we're not getting any open shots..." It was "how could we miss this many open shots?". Even DP's FG percentage was WAY down when compared to his career numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT