ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Zach Lujan?

I guess you can say we are taking a Northwesterly direction in raiding the Dakotas for coaches and (hopefully) some good transfer players (Gronowski).

My only concern about Lujan is that his success fully coincides with Gronowski. Ideally, we get an OC who has done well with multiple QBs.

But this part is music to my ears (it is the anti-JON philosophy):
"Allow the kids to play fast...call what they know. Put our guys in a situation to be successful rather than, as they break the huddle, they're trying to understand, 'Wait, what is this route concept again that we just put in?'"

I guess you can say we are taking a Northwesterly direction in raiding the Dakotas for coaches and (hopefully) some good transfer players (Gronowski).

My only concern about Lujan is that his success fully coincides with Gronowski. Ideally, we get an OC who has done well with multiple QBs.

"Allow the kids to play fast...call what they know. Put our guys in a situation to be successful rather than, as they break the huddle, they're trying to understand, 'Wait, what is this route concept again that we just put in?'"
Gronowski was actually injured for 2021 and was replaced by Chris Oladokun who threw for 3164 yards, 25 touchdowns and seven interceptions as SDSU went 11-4 and made it to the FCS Semifinals, though Lujan was just the QB coach at the time.

I'll add that to the story

Gronowski was actually injured for 2021 and was replaced by Chris Oladokun who threw for 3164 yards, 25 touchdowns and seven interceptions as SDSU went 11-4 and made it to the FCS Semifinals, though Lujan was just the QB coach at the time.

Oh yeah. Missed that. That's a great data point.

Reactions: zeek55
Wow, a coordinator because of his Alaskan roots with an appreciation for the importance of the moose and an Eastbay connection (Chabot CC). He would be an instant board favorite in some circles, LOL. Chabot is about a mile from my Costco, and I know multiple kids who played baseball there.

He really does seem like a great fit and complement to Braun’s seeming strategic plan.

Good article. Slight correction to the last paragraph, the FCS title game is on Sunday, not Saturday.

Reactions: ricko654321

Point taken, though I would point out that SDSU’s offense was still pretty strong in 2021 when Gronowski was out following his knee injury in the 2020 national championship game. Lujan was not the OC at that point, but he was QB coach under Jason Eck.

Chris Oladokun had a pretty strong season in 2021 after transferring from South Florida, going for 3,164 yards on 61.9% passing with 25:7 TD:INT.

Watched some of the videos, I think the most intriguing part is the “same as” teaching concept. Having only a few similar reads for the QB but finding creative ways to get to those reads with different formations, motions, and personnel is a very Shanahan-esque philosophy.

(Missed this before writing my post, sorry.)

Reactions: epicbret

Get to know Northwestern's top target at offensive coordinator.
Appreciate the research and the quick article Matt! I know it’s FCS and personnel matters hugely but 38.3 ppg and 456 ypg sounds pretty dreamy…

Not to put the cart before the horse, but Gronowski is a Jr so has at least one year of eligibility left (not sure if the Covid year applies to 1-AA transfers)…

Appreciate the research and the quick article Matt! I know it’s FCS and personnel matters hugely but 38.3 ppg and 456 ypg sounds pretty dreamy…

Not to put the cart before the horse, but Gronowski is a Jr so has at least one year of eligibility left (not sure if the Covid year applies to 1-AA transfers)…
I don't recall the ppg Bajakian had with BC, but that 456 ypg is in league with what Bajakian did indeed have at BC. What kind of system does Lujan run up in in SDSU?

In the article @mshelton33 said Gronowski had 2 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: ricko654321
Can anyone explain how Lujan is pronounced?

I’m a simple man and can’t quite figure it out

Usually lu-HAN.

confirmation here:

Zach Lujan (pronounced LOO-hahn)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT