ADVERTISEMENT

Why do our receivers drop so many balls?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I have seen more dropped passes this year than I can ever recall during 30+ years of watching, celebrating, suffering through NU football.

Is it the individual receivers?
It seems everyone across the board has been guilty of one or more glaring dropped passes. In the Neb game, Vault joined the club with a glaring drop that could've gone for long yardage. There isn't a reliable go-to receiver, maybe Vitale being the only one, with Prater being too inconsistent still.

Is it the QB?
Trevor makes some good throws but then makes a lot of bad throws - behind the receiver, sailing the ball, one-hopping - we've seen it all this year. His bad throws contribute to some dropped passes, but other drops are inexplicable.

Is it the coaching?
How do you coach a receiver to not drop balls? I dunno. Is it technique? Perhaps not enough drills? Not the right kind of drills? Not enough time spent between QB and receivers? You hear stories about some QB's who spend the whole summer working out with a core group of receivers, throwing hundreds of passes a day. Don't know if Trevor and this group of receivers did that or not.

There is no clear answer, but if I had to point the finger somewhere, I have personally concluded that the systematic nature of the problem points to a coaching problem. Any disagreements?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News