ADVERTISEMENT

With a solid OC this team is

It seemed like today's game was scripted by someone other than McCall. Some similarities, but enough difference to cause one to wonder what is transpiring. Has McCall finally woken up? Has Fitz intervened? Did someone other than McCall write the game plan? I really am not looking forward to the same old, same old on offense next year. We got a breath of fresh air toward the end of last year and finally at the end of this year. But these continual slow starts and the offense being bailed out by the defense are really not necessary. Today we had balance, finally, and if it was not McCall responsible, then he should be gone.

I don’t need to poll the fans when I see all the empty seats. I unofficially polled quite a few players from our last 3-9 season and their thinking is in line with my own. When it comes to NU, I will always bleed purple no matter what. If you want folks like me to cheer for other teams then you are simply out of your depth.

If no changes are made then I’ll spend more time making money so that I can support my family and the Cats when they put it all together. I’m tired of watching our players get injured due to an awful offensive scheme. I have better ways to spend a few hours each weekend instead of suffering for the sake of it.

ok I understood your post to suggest that if the changes you want to see don’t happen you will no longer support or be a fan. But you will, eventually, when things are done according to your preferences. Certainly your prerogative.

I mean we’ve rehashed this over and over but I guess we can do it again. I think it wouldn’t be a good idea because I don’t think MCCall is the problem. Change just for changes sake often makes things worse, not better. Once again though, it doesn’t matter what you or I think. The only thing that matters is what Fitz thinks and I think his opinion is more aligned with mine than with yours. We’ll find out soon enough.

As far as attendance is concerned, it’s gotten worse because we’ve had a bad season. Fans tend to not show up as much when a team loses. Once we start winning again, attendance will jump back up whether McCall is here or not. It’s common sense.

If I grant you that personnel is the problem (which I don’t believe), how would we fix that problem with the same coaching staff? What would we have to sell to better recruits?

36 wins, 3 Bowl wins and a Big Ten West championship. You don’t achieve those results over a four year stretch unless you are a complete team that plays complementary football by design.

And a 1-win season in last place in the B1G.

It's easy to show great performance when you arbitrarily pick starting and end-points. If you were a financial advisor, you'd be sanctioned by the SEC for making up performance metrics to mislead clients.

Look at the whole body of work for this season. Illinois had a much better offense than we did, as did just about EVERY other FBS team.

Look at the whole body of work for the last decade.

Yesterday you saw how badly an offense can deteriorate when it looses its QB and doesn’t have an adequate replacement. No OC or offensive system can overcome deficient play at key positions like QB and OL.

If I grant you that personnel is the problem (which I don’t believe), how would we fix that problem with the same coaching staff? What would we have to sell to better recruits?

wait, you mean finishing #123 out of 130 in the nation in total offense doesn't inspire offensive skill players to want to come here, precipitating a further downward spiral on offense?

I'm shocked! Will be interesting to see if Corbi responds to you.

Imagine if NU could get guys like Wandale Robinson, David Bell and A.J. Henning. Wonder why they ultimately choose not to come to NU?

There is plenty to sell with our program. Talent recruitment and development on the OL has been the main culprit that has held the Offense back over the last decade. That problem has been addressed and the early results on the OL development and recruiting front are encouraging. The QB problem this year is an anomaly in my opinion. A temporary gap in our QB depth chart caused by an unfortunate string of bad luck recruiting at the position. NU has always been able to find QBs that fit it’s system.

And a 1-win season in last place in the B1G.

It's easy to show great performance when you arbitrarily pick starting and end-points. If you were a financial advisor, you'd be sanctioned by the SEC for making up performance metrics to mislead clients.

I am not picking arbitrary end points. I am pointing out the multi year trends that were established before this season, which I believe is an anomaly. Putting more credence in the results of one season over the results of a multi year trend is illogical.

ok I understood your post to suggest that if the changes you want to see don’t happen you will no longer support or be a fan. But you will, eventually, when things are done according to your preferences. Certainly your prerogative.
Do you go to the same restaurant over and over if the service is below par even if you like their menu? I suspect after experiencing it a few times, you would stop your patronage until they got their act together.

There is plenty to sell with our program. Talent recruitment and development on the OL has been the main culprit that has held the Offense back over the last decade. That problem has been addressed and the early results on the OL development and recruiting front are encouraging. The QB problem this year is an anomaly in my opinion. A temporary gap in our QB depth chart caused by an unfortunate string of bad luck of recruiting at the position. NU has always been able to find QBs that fit it’s system.

You can tell yourself that.

But I see no mention of WR recruiting and development, which has been mediocre to middling. It has been years since NU was able to roll out 3 receivers at a time who can all threaten the opposing defense. Austin Carr's one massive season aside (which I chalk up purely to a guy who is self-directed and motivated like few in the world), I can't remember the last NU receiver to crack an all-Big Ten team. Probably the Zeke/Brewer era.

Superback recruiting has been just plain weird in recent years, with the staff apparently content to take the local guy. Trey Pugh has dealt with injuries, so maybe that excuses his awful play against the Illini. Thomas Gordon will hopefully be good. But beyond that? Yikes.

And as much as NU prides itself as a run-first team, the backs before and after Justin Jackson have been about average for the Big Ten, but not great. I will concede that Bowser had a great second half to his true freshman season, and he could very well be a nice player throughout his time here. But where is the back that runs tough between the tackles AND has the breakaway speed once the new-and-improved OL starts to create holes? Is McCall's system of constant inside zone runs appealing to a guy like Will Shipley?

But yes, as always, just blame not having the perfect McCall QB for these systemic issues.

Will you be as cocky with your posts when you realize that Fitz has no intention of replacing McCall? Not sure when it will dawn on you that MCCall isn’t going anywhere. Next week? Next month? Next August?
Phillips, Morty and Ryan my have other thoughts.

Reactions: drewjin
You can tell yourself that.

But I see no mention of WR recruiting and development, which has been mediocre to middling. It has been years since NU was able to roll out 3 receivers at a time who can all threaten the opposing defense. Austin Carr's one massive season aside (which I chalk up purely to a guy who is self-directed and motivated like few in the world), I can't remember the last NU receiver to crack an all-Big Ten team. Probably the Zeke/Brewer era.

Superback recruiting has been just plain weird in recent years, with the staff apparently content to take the local guy. Trey Pugh has dealt with injuries, so maybe that excuses his awful play against the Illini. Thomas Gordon will hopefully be good. But beyond that? Yikes.

And as much as NU prides itself as a run-first team, the backs before and after Justin Jackson have been about average for the Big Ten, but not great. I will concede that Bowser had a great second half to his true freshman season, and he could very well be a nice player throughout his time here. But where is the back that runs tough between the tackles AND has the breakaway speed once the new-and-improved OL starts to create holes? Is McCall's system of constant inside zone runs appealing to a guy like Will Shipley?

But yes, as always, just blame not having the perfect McCall QB for these systemic issues.

I am not telling myself that. That is exactly what I believe based my observations over an extended period of time. Let me clue you in to one other guy I think sees it the same way. His name is Pat Fitzgerald.

I am not telling myself that. That is exactly what I believe based my observations over an extended period of time. Let me clue you in to one other guy I think sees it the same way. His name is Pat Fitzgerald.

What makes you think he sees it that way? Do you have any corroboration from within the program via anonymous sources?

Phillips, Morty and Ryan my have other thoughts.

We’ll see. If a change is being made, you’ll hear about it very quick. The Atkinson situation creates some plausible doubts in my mind as well but I still think it is highly unlikely.

What makes you think he sees it that way? Do you have any corroboration from within the program via anonymous sources?

Nothing concrete other than listening to his press conferences. I didn't hear him say once that he thought our offensive schemes were problematic. I did hear him say repeatedly that this season was an anomaly caused mostly by not having a player ready to play at the QB position.

Look at the whole body of work for the last decade.

Yesterday you saw how badly an offense can deteriorate when it looses its QB and doesn’t have an adequate replacement. No OC or offensive system can overcome deficient play at key positions like QB and OL.
Please show me the Illini’s offensive stats over the same period I gave you. I’d be willing to be dinner they’re better even know their team has sucked.

There is plenty to sell with our program. Talent recruitment and development on the OL has been the main culprit that has held the Offense back over the last decade. That problem has been addressed and the early results on the OL development and recruiting front are encouraging. The QB problem this year is an anomaly in my opinion. A temporary gap in our QB depth chart caused by an unfortunate string of bad luck recruiting at the position. NU has always been able to find QBs that fit it’s system.

How does that help us get the difference maker at WR and RB that we desperately need, especially WR? Nobody in that room right now actually threatens a B1G defense. None. Nobody.

I am not picking arbitrary end points. I am pointing out the multi year trends that were established before this season, which I believe is an anomaly. Putting more credence in the results of one season over the results of a multi year trend is illogical.

The multi year trends for the offense are not good. Not good at all.

Nothing concrete other than listening to his press conferences. I didn't hear him say once that he thought our offensive schemes were problematic. I did hear him say repeatedly that this season was an anomaly caused mostly by not having a player ready to play at the QB position.

...and that’s McCall’s fault, plus the players themselves.

Reactions: IluvDAZcat

Dude, you are so seriously, seriously deluded.

Please show me the Illini’s offensive stats over the same period I gave you. I’d be willing to be dinner they’re better even know their team has sucked.

Please show me Illinois record over that same period of time. I'd be willing to bet you your entire net worth that Fitz's record is better over that entire period of time. Football team's that play complementary football win games, not individual units. You can't separate the won and loss record from the other statistics.

Dude, you are so seriously, seriously deluded.

Right back at you. We currently have one of the best recruiting classes in recent memory committed to come to NU. If you don't see that, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Please show me Illinois record over that same period of time. I'd be willing to bet you your entire net worth that Fitz's record is better over that entire period of time. Football team's that play complementary football win games, not individual units. You can't separate the won and loss record from the other statistics.

Does “complementary football” mean “not scoring a touchdown for 13 consecutive quarters, especially when it is a continuation of declining performance?”

The scheme has been stale for years. We don’t have the personnel to threaten offenses. We need change in coaching and scheme if we want to fix both those problems.

...and that’s McCall’s fault, plus the players themselves.

If you want to put the fault for this season on any one individual, then you should be putting it on Pat Fitzgerald. He is more culpable for what happened this season than anyone else affiliated with NU.

I’ll always be a fan. But this offense was once again painful to watch this year - especially when its predictability made it easy for an opposing player to hurt HJ - and I’m too passionate to get burnt out cheering for the same old bad scheme. If nothing ever changes then nothing ever changes.

Unless we upgrade the offensive system, I don’t see how we’ll improve appreciably in a more competitive B1G even with the nice recruits and some injured players returning.

Does “complementary football” mean “not scoring a touchdown for 13 consecutive quarters, especially when it is a continuation of declining performance?”

The scheme has been stale for years. We don’t have the personnel to threaten offenses. We need change in coaching and scheme if we want to fix both those problems.

We can keep going around and around on this. The offense sucked this year because we didn't have a QB that was ready to play in the Big Ten. End of story. If you want to blame an individual for why that is, I think you should be blaming Pat Fitzgerald and I think he would be the first one to agree with that.

If you want to put the fault for this season on any one individual, then you should be putting it on Pat Fitzgerald. He is more culpable for what happened this season than anyone else affiliated with NU.

As head coach, sure. As the one responsible for the offense, kind of.

Either way, that is an argument for making change rather than the status quo.

We can keep going around and around on this. The offense sucked this year because we didn't have a QB that was ready to play in the Big Ten. End of story. If you want to blame an individual for why that is, I think you should be blaming Pat Fitzgerald and I think he would be the first one to agree with that.

AND MCCALL IS THE QB COACH.

It would be weird not to blame the offensive coordinator and QB whisperer for the failure of the offense and for the inability to develop a quarterback (and for the willingness to watch two months of Smith and conclude he was the best option).

Reactions: gingerkid
It would be weird not to blame the offensive coordinator and QB whisperer for the failure of the offense and for the inability to develop a quarterback (and for the willingness to watch two months of Smith and conclude he was the best option).

I've never said McCall doesn't deserve some blame or criticism for the QB recruiting failures and lack of QB development that led us to this point. He does but so do the players themselves and so does Fitz.

I've never said McCall doesn't deserve some blame or criticism for the QB recruiting failures and lack of QB development that led us to this point. He does but so do the players themselves and so does Fitz.

Which guy is more expendable?

Which guy is more expendable?

That's not the question you should be asking. The questions you should be asking are can the "problem" be fixed without making any changes and, if we do make a change, what are the odds that we come up with a better outcome. I am not interested in firing someone to "punish" them for this season. That's what irrational, emotional fans want. I am interested in making a change only if that is the only way to fix the problem and only if I am very confident that I can find a better replacement.

That's not the question you should be asking. The questions you should be asking are can the "problem" be fixed without making any changes and, if we do make a change, what are the odds that we come up with a better outcome. I am not interested in firing someone to "punish" them for this season. That's what irrational, emotional fans want. I am interested in making a change only if that is the only way to fix the problem and only if I am very confident that I can find a better replacement.

No. I do not think our problems can be fixed absent staff changes. There are schematic, development, and recruiting problems. That’s basically the trifecta.

Reactions: gingerkid
If you want to put the fault for this season on any one individual, then you should be putting it on Pat Fitzgerald. He is more culpable for what happened this season that anyone else affiliated with NU.
On this we completely agree.

No. I do not think our problems can be fixed absent staff changes. There are schematic, development, and recruiting problems. That’s basically the trifecta.

That's where we disagree. We'll see soon what Fitz thinks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT