ADVERTISEMENT

WLax vs. Syracuse

Has nc been really dominant in acc? Is that why they are 1 seed and we are #2? Or just because they've played more games than nu? Just curious whereas the power rankings...I just hope we win it all again. Also...what exactly kind of cable/dish to we need to have to watch? I think i missed what station it will be televised on??

Has nc been really dominant in acc? Is that why they are 1 seed and we are #2? Or just because they've played more games than nu? Just curious whereas the power rankings...I just hope we win it all again. Also...what exactly kind of cable/dish to we need to have to watch? I think i missed what station it will be televised on??
We played all our games in-conference, too; we see how that worked out in basketball, where the Big Ten was highly overrated. I think we have the reverse situation here.

I'm not going to sweat a #1 vs. #2 overall seed. They're both set up to win their half of the bracket and meet in the finals.

The ACC had 5 teams in the quarterfinals, so they must be pretty good.

Small sample size, but NU looked absolutely dominant in their 2 tournament games. It's going to be tough, but I like our chances.

We played all our games in-conference, too; we see how that worked out in basketball, where the Big Ten was highly overrated. I think we have the reverse situation here.

I'm not going to sweat a #1 vs. #2 overall seed. They're both set up to win their half of the bracket and meet in the finals.
Feli friend: Is it televised? On what?? Thanks for any info. Just checked NUSPORTS. Looks like it will be on espnu. Good deal. I will watch it!

Very true...it's embarrassing. North Carolina is playing at noon! Talk about limiting your audience. Such a great chance to showcase these games. Can the NCAA get anything right? :rolleyes:

Johnny Unitas Stadium is laid out east-west if I recall correctly, so maybe that's why the games are midday. The setting sun would be a problem for the goaltender in the evening. Just guessing.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Johnny Unitas Stadium is laid out east-west if I recall correctly, so maybe that's why the games are midday. The setting sun would be a problem for the goaltender in the evening. Just guessing.
There are probably also nba, mlb and wsoftball games on at night on the high volume/money making channels?? I actually don't mind the early start. I have to get up early on sat to work opening shift. Afternoon games I love for any nu sports games

Both games will be on ESPNU.........
N
My guess is that ESPNU prioritizes softball ahead of WLAX. Softball draws many more eyeballs nationwide than WLAX, so in terms of serving the audience they are making a rational choice.

Small sample size, but NU looked absolutely dominant in their 2 tournament games. It's going to be tough, but I like our chances.
FWIW ... Duke is the 1 common opponent among NU, Syracuse and UNC (likely championship opponent).

Syracuse beat Duke 15-5.
UNC beat Duke 13-6
UNC beat Duke again 12-11 - at Duke and without their top scorer.
NU beat Duke at home 22-10 - including a 21-4 run over the majority of the game.

Take from that what you want. But it suggests to me two things. First, Syracuse and UNC haven't played anybody as explosive as NU this year. And second, both head coaches probably had "Oh Shit" moments when they popped in the film and watched that 21-4 Wildcat run vs the Dookies.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Alvious
Feli friend: Is it televised? On what?? Thanks for any info. Just checked NUSPORTS. Looks like it will be on espnu. Good deal. I will watch it!
The games against Denver and Duke I was able to watch on ESPN3. (Interesting that my Internet package allowed me to watch the lacrosse games on ESPN3, but I was unable to watch the softball games as they apparently weren't included. But if something's on ESPN3, try watching it; maybe it will be included in your plan!)

And second, both head coaches probably had "Oh Shit" moments when they popped in the film and watched that 21-4 Wildcat run vs the Dookies.
Shutting out Denver in the second half should elicit a similar reaction. Denver was a top-20 scoring offense and the 'Cats just smothered them in the 2nd half.

Maybe its misplaced, but i would worry more about a match-up with BC and Charlotte North. She may actually be a better player than Izzy - because her shot and stick skills are legendary for the girls game. She takes shots from outside the 8 that are simply unheard of as a result of the laws of physics and WLAX rules regarding shooting space-dangerous shot dynamics.

While one dominant player usually doesn't change the outcome of the game, the rest of the BC team is no joke as they have gotten to the final 4 in each of the last few years.

Anyways, the Cats have an amazing team this year that is deep in talent across all the major areas - draws, shooting, goalkeeping, midfield, etc. I'm all aboard that bandwagon and am confident they can prevail (and dominate) each and every team in this final four. I am just less sure of the gameplan against a team built like BC. I think they stack up much better against carolina and syracuse

Maybe its misplaced, but i would worry more about a match-up with BC and Charlotte North. She may actually be a better player than Izzy - because her shot and stick skills are legendary for the girls game. She takes shots from outside the 8 that are simply unheard of as a result of the laws of physics and WLAX rules regarding shooting space-dangerous shot dynamics.

While one dominant player usually doesn't change the outcome of the game, the rest of the BC team is no joke as they have gotten to the final 4 in each of the last few years.

Anyways, the Cats have an amazing team this year that is deep in talent across all the major areas - draws, shooting, goalkeeping, midfield, etc. I'm all aboard that bandwagon and am confident they can prevail (and dominate) each and every team in this final four. I am just less sure of the gameplan against a team built like BC. I think they stack up much better against carolina and syracuse
You seem to know a lot about our team. Out of curiosity...do we have a varsity men's lacrosse team as well? I never see any mention of them if we do. It is usually jhopkins/duke/maryland etc.etc.. As far as I know, the nu team for men is only a club team??

Good luck

You seem to know a lot about our team. Out of curiosity...do we have a varsity men's lacrosse team as well? I never see any mention of them if we do. It is usually jhopkins/duke/maryland etc.etc.. As far as I know, the nu team for men is only a club team??
We don't have a men's lacrosse team at the varsity level.

One issue is probably Title IX matching; I can't say for sure but I assume we don't have the ability to offer another men's varsity/scholarship sport at the moment without adding another women's to offset for matching opportunities.

Due to the size of football, most universities have to offer more women's varsity sports just to make numbers somewhat balanced.

We offer 8 men's sports and 11 women's varsity sports.

Men's football and wrestling, women's cross country, fencing, field hockey, lacrosse, and volleyball are the ones without direct matches.

Last edited:
We don't have a men's lacrosse team at the varsity level.

One issue is probably Title IX matching; I can't say for sure but I assume we don't have the ability to offer another men's varsity/scholarship sport at the moment without adding another women's to offset for matching opportunities.

Due to the size of football, most universities have to offer more women's varsity sports just to make numbers somewhat balanced.

We offer 8 men's sports and 11 women's varsity sports.

Men's football and wrestling, women's cross country, fencing, field hockey, lacrosse, and volleyball are the ones without direct matches.

This was the case when i played back in the 80s. Mens LAX was a club sport as were most of the other Big10 programs. Ohio State does field a varsity mens LAX program that has fared reasonably well on the national stage, all things considered.

Considering the increasing pile of $$ the B1G TV contracts bring in, NU should be able to afford adding a men's.and women's sport.

Stated this before, fairly evident what they would be.

Men's lax - already have the facilities, and would increase NU's profile along the academic powerhouse east coast high schools (hockey is another one, but would require $$ to build facilities and NU is already land starved).

Women's crew - a varsity program for the women would still help out the men's club program

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
'Cats finally score their second goal after an 18-minute scoring drought. Hopefully they can get some momentum out of this.

Edit: Nope. Syracuse runs right down the field and scores.

Syracuse runs right down and scores again, and NU is given a yellow card on the score, so Syracuse will be a woman up.

7-2 Syracuse with 2 minute woman up

A few minutes ago, I was hoping the 'Cats would cut the deficit down to 3, maybe even 2, by the half.

The 'Cats are getting steamrolled.

Oh well. We'll get 'em next year.
Well, the 'Cats are still the top scoring offense in the country, and there's still a whole half to play. But 10-2 is quite a mountain to climb.

'Cats score their third goal.

Okay, here's my new hope: Cut the deficit to 5 by the end of the half.

Izzy is a JR. If any one can bring Cats back its her. Next year she can keep NU in the high level and as a recruiting beacon. Bet a lot of top high school players know her.

Well, the good news is that the 'Cats scored the last two goals of the half.

There's plenty that the 'Cats can improve on in the 2nd half. I think they are capable of outscoring an opponent by 6 in the 2nd half. Let's see what type of magic KAH can work in the locker room.

I guess what surprises me the most is the way Syracuse is dominating the draw controls.

All credit to Syracuse; they really came to play.

8 yellow cards on the 'Cats; wow. I've never seen this many fouls in a game. Syracuse was two women up multiple times this game. Was this unusual? That certainly seemed to be the difference today.

Our defense was sub-standard today, and the offense just never found its rhythm, except for one second half surge. Credit to 'Cuse, they just outplayed us. Hope BC beats 'em on Sunday.

Oh well, we'll always have Duke!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT