ADVERTISEMENT

You guys are so wrong

WildAboutThePurple

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2018
I am a diehard fan who comes on here to vent because everyone else I vent to either doesnt care or already agrees with me. How do you call someone a troll if they say that If we do not reach the postseason again by the end of year 3 in the new arena, that Collins position should be questioned. Its not like I am not cheering for him or the program. I love this team and cannot wait to try for our 9th straight win in football on Aug 30. The Notre Dame game will be played on my birthday. So it will either be a good bday or a terrible one. Back to basketball, there have obviously been darker times but this has been a complete waste of a season in every aspect. I feel bad most for McIntosh and Lindsey. But life goes on. I expect next year for us to get better as season goes on but not likely that we are in ncca tourney conversation.
Go Cats!!

I am a diehard fan who comes on here to vent because everyone else I vent to either doesnt care or already agrees with me. How do you call someone a troll if they say that If we do not reach the postseason again by the end of year 3 in the new arena, that Collins position should be questioned. Its not like I am not cheering for him or the program. I love this team and cannot wait to try for our 9th straight win in football on Aug 30. The Notre Dame game will be played on my birthday. So it will either be a good bday or a terrible one. Back to basketball, there have obviously been darker times but this has been a complete waste of a season in every aspect. I feel bad most for McIntosh and Lindsey. But life goes on. I expect next year for us to get better as season goes on but not likely that we are in ncca tourney conversation.
Go Cats!!

Interesting perspective. My question is how can you feel bad for Mac and Lindsey?!? Aren’t they captains of the team. Aren’t they Seniors with 3+ years of experience changing the culture and bringing a new attitude to the team. Aren’t they the foundation that has helped to transform this team from what was to what could be?!?

Its the same story everywhere - blame management/blame employees, blame parents/blame kids, blame coaches/blame players. Ultimately its not Coach Collins playing everynight on the court. He is doing what he can to give these guys to tools and experience to be successful on the court. Its up to the players to execute. Its up to the players to push harder to get to the next level.

When mac makes the comment - maybe we aren’t in good enough shape, then how can you singularly blame the coaches or feel sorry for the players. Was it a surprise that the college athletics are tough?!? That you need to be in superior physical shape to be competitive every day???

Anyways, as fans we need to just support the players and coaches and hope they have the fire to be the best team they can possibly be, and play their hearts out every game.

This year was probably one of the toughest life lessons they will experience - and both the graduating seniors, the coaches and the remaining players will come away stronger for it....

Reactions: ubercat and NJCat
Interesting perspective. My question is how can you feel bad for Mac and Lindsey?!? Aren’t they captains of the team. Aren’t they Seniors with 3+ years of experience changing the culture and bringing a new attitude to the team. Aren’t they the foundation that has helped to transform this team from what was to what could be?!?

Its the same story everywhere - blame management/blame employees, blame parents/blame kids, blame coaches/blame players. Ultimately its not Coach Collins playing everynight on the court. He is doing what he can to give these guys to tools and experience to be successful on the court. Its up to the players to execute. Its up to the players to push harder to get to the next level.

When mac makes the comment - maybe we aren’t in good enough shape, then how can you singularly blame the coaches or feel sorry for the players. Was it a surprise that the college athletics are tough?!? That you need to be in superior physical shape to be competitive every day???

Anyways, as fans we need to just support the players and coaches and hope they have the fire to be the best team they can possibly be, and play their hearts out every game.

This year was probably one of the toughest life lessons they will experience - and both the graduating seniors, the coaches and the remaining players will come away stronger for it....
Couldnt agree more but there should have been more push from Collins in the offseason toward conditioning. Chanpionships are won during the offseason. Obviously there wasnt that same supervision going on last offseason to push these guys to be better then the prior season. Blame can go all the way around the room but ultimately starts at the top with the coaching staff. I truly believe the loss to Baldwin on the staff was a huge blow in this department. He seemed like a guy who would never take the pedal off the metal. You live and you learn. When you taste success as fans it hurts even more when you fall back into the same mediocrity. And I appreciate Mac and Collins admitting to some shorthcomings in the offseason preperation. But you know what those admissions are called? EXUSES

It hasn't helped that the team has had to travel to a different zip code for their "home" games. I expect a resurgence once we get back our home court advantage.

That is a minimum of two hours of travel that had to be added to every game played "at home."

Go Cats!!

Look, if you really are a diehard fan, then you should take a long-term perspective. This is coming from someone who is also a diehard fan and tends to overreact to losses in the heat of the moment. I’ve tried to consciously not do that so much, which is why I posted the “Beat Rutgers” thread.

And the long-term outlook for this team is bright. First-ever NCAA Tournament under Collins, taking that stigma away. Leads to a great recruiting class. A brand-new state-of-the-art stadium that replaces what had previously been a major weakness.

Great programs aren’t developed overnight, but laid brick by brick. Even in this “disaster” year, NU is in the middle of the pack and could easily finish with a winning conference record.

I believe in Collins. With all these arrows trending upwards, he only needs two or three big-time recruits to make NU a legit contender. That will be the challenge in the years to come, but I trust he won’t rest until he succeeds. Lathon, Nance and Kopp are three instant difference makers.

But for now, I’m going to root for these seniors to go out on a high note. Win 4 of 5, make some noise at MSG in the Big Ten Tournament and then get there again when they win the whole darn NIT.

GO CATS

How many coaches can we call for to be fired in our lifetime? It's not like NU athletics hangs on the delicate sensibilities of alumni whose self-esteem depends on the success of our sports teams.

Go Cats!!

Reading your body of work since you've started posting under this handle, if you're who you say you are and not some LOLINOIS troll, one word comes to mind to describe you as a NU fan....

Lightweight.

Wah Wah, McIntosh is the worst ever... Wah Wah, fire Collins. Wah Wah Wah. Did someone take your blanky too?

Look, if you really are a diehard fan, then you should take a long-term perspective. This is coming from someone who is also a diehard fan and tends to overreact to losses in the heat of the moment. I’ve tried to consciously not do that so much, which is why I posted the “Beat Rutgers” thread.

And the long-term outlook for this team is bright. First-ever NCAA Tournament under Collins, taking that stigma away. Leads to a great recruiting class. A brand-new state-of-the-art stadium that replaces what had previously been a major weakness.

Great programs aren’t developed overnight, but laid brick by brick. Even in this “disaster” year, NU is in the middle of the pack and could easily finish with a winning conference record.

I believe in Collins. With all these arrows trending upwards, he only needs two or three big-time recruits to make NU a legit contender. That will be the challenge in the years to come, but I trust he won’t rest until he succeeds. Lathon, Nance and Kopp are three instant difference makers.

But for now, I’m going to root for these seniors to go out on a high note. Win 4 of 5, make some noise at MSG in the Big Ten Tournament and then get there again when they win the whole darn NIT.

GO CATS
Your right freewillie, I do overract to losses when it comes down to games where our backs are against the wall. Everywhere I go I spread the fame of our name and how we have never been in a better spot in both sports. When we lose I get texts now with people giving me shit. Mostly ND fans. Im sorry to everyone on this board for my overreaction and putting full blame on Collins or anyone in particular. It all stems from my frustration and how bad I want the victories, and when they dissapoint me, it does not sit well until the next game when everyone is wondering why Im so optimistic again. Everyone who knows me well knows that no matter what irrational things I say after losses, like “Im done” and “I wont watch another game” knows very well I will be watching the next episode no matter whether our record is 7-14 or 15-11. I will not give up hope until we are eliminated from the big ten tourney.

Go Cats!!!

Everywhere I go I spread the fame of our name and how we have never been in a better spot in both sports.

You allude to the lyric of Go U Northwestern. Commendable. May I also point out wording from the Alma Mater? "All thy sons and daughters pledge thee victory and honor." Concern for victory should always be a prime focus of our fandom; so should a degree of restraint, especially when times are tough. That's what we have a right to expect of NU's athletes and coaches, and I think it's honorable for us not to blurt out belittling insults toward the Cats when scoreboard results aren't what we'd like.

The most zealous fan among us probably doesn't have half the commitment toward excellence and, yes, victory that just about all Wildcat student-athletes and their coaches demonstrate every day.

To hell with "friends" who try to give you a hard time over Northwestern losses. You can rise above that and not spout stuff about NU teams you don't really mean. (That's taking you at your word about really being a Wildcat fan, win or lose.)

How many coaches can we call for to be fired in our lifetime? It's not like NU athletics hangs on the delicate sensibilities of alumni whose self-esteem depends on the success of our sports teams.
I’d say the over/under on your question is: “About one per month into perpetuity”. If we’d have had a message board in 1963, I suspect Ara Parseghian would have been on fans' hot seat after the Wildcats (then ranked #1 in the AP Poll) lost consecutive games late in the season against #2-ranked Wisconsin and Michigan State.

Go Cats!!
Hasn't been a bad year. We still can reach 20 games. Hasn't been a great year as we missed our potential, but hasn't been bad. Might get in the NIT.

It hasn't helped that the team has had to travel to a different zip code for their "home" games. I expect a resurgence once we get back our home court advantage.

That is a minimum of two hours of travel that had to be added to every game played "at home."
I hypothesized that earlier, but their home record is ok. Not great but ok. I show them according to yahoo sports at 11-3 at home, including losses to OSU and PU.

I hypothesized that earlier, but their home record is ok. Not great but ok. I show them according to yahoo sports at 11-3 at home, including losses to OSU and PU.
I had the same thought. Note that the Nebraska loss came when BMac was out with the sprained knee. Creighton (I think you meant CU not PU) was/is a very solid team, no shame in that loss. So while the wear and tear of getting to Rosemont certainly didn't help this season, they pretty much defended their home court including a good win against a ranked Michigan team.

I had the same thought. Note that the Nebraska loss came when BMac was out with the sprained knee. Creighton (I think you meant CU not PU) was/is a very solid team, no shame in that loss. So while the wear and tear of getting to Rosemont certainly didn't help this season, they pretty much defended their home court including a good win against a ranked Michigan team.
Hasn't it been reported that the team stays at a local hotel the night before a game? Guess I just don't like excuses.

There was Colby. A number were in favor of moving on from BC. Others would like a change at OL. And in the past some were down on Jerry Brown. O'Neill was in the group but other than that, probably have to go back to Johnny Pont (Should throw in Baseball coach)

Reactions: IGNORE2

And Nebby is looking like a pretty darned good team at the moment...

So we can pretty much rule out Rosemont as the issue with the inconsistent play this season.....

Yup, never really bought into that theory. In terms of home record, it is comparable to last year, when we finished 14-4 (we will probably end up at 13-4, with one less home game than last year).The problem has been on the road where we are 3-7, with a number of blowouts in those 7. Last year, we were 5-5 with only two blowouts: Purdue and Illinois (?!?).

There was Colby. A number were in favor of moving on from BC. Others would like a change at OL. And in the past some were down on Jerry Brown. O'Neill was in the group but other than that, probably have to go back to Johnny Pont (Should throw in Baseball coach)

WR coach too. And some have thought the OC was too vanilla and a change would be warranted if the house was cleaned (OL & WR)

Your right freewillie, I do overract to losses when it comes down to games where our backs are against the wall. Everywhere I go I spread the fame of our name and how we have never been in a better spot in both sports. When we lose I get texts now with people giving me shit. Mostly ND fans. Im sorry to everyone on this board for my overreaction and putting full blame on Collins or anyone in particular. It all stems from my frustration and how bad I want the victories, and when they dissapoint me, it does not sit well until the next game when everyone is wondering why Im so optimistic again. Everyone who knows me well knows that no matter what irrational things I say after losses, like “Im done” and “I wont watch another game” knows very well I will be watching the next episode no matter whether our record is 7-14 or 15-11. I will not give up hope until we are eliminated from the big ten tourney.

Go Cats!!!
For the most part, you probably deserve it (as do all us FANatics) and they are but giving you the extra scoop because they have the opportunity

WR coach too. And some have thought the OC was too vanilla and a change would be warranted if the house was cleaned (OL & WR)
WR coach has had some ups and downs but as we have gone to different types of receivers his performance has been less controversial. He has had years where WR performance has not been a negative. OL has solidified the last couple years as the season has gone on. Not necessarily enough to get OL coach of warm seat but it has improved.

I’d say the over/under on your question is: “About one per month into perpetuity”. If we’d have had a message board in 1963, I suspect Ara Parseghian would have been on fans' hot seat after the Wildcats (then ranked #1 in the AP Poll) lost consecutive games late in the season against #2-ranked Wisconsin and Michigan State.
Lucky for him no message board

Forgot about BMac being out that game. Was thinking he was back pretty quick, but not that game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT