ADVERTISEMENT

Young to the Portal

But I thought we had to keep Collins or else everyone would transfer! I'm sure our Zero reliable center strategy will play well in conference next year, maybe that's the change Chris was talking about

The funny thing - nobody cares...anymore. The apathy has set in. You can see it on this Board - a UoI guy breaks the news...here...even before the Rock. Not Lou, not coral... and nobody comments... cuz why bother? NU doesn't care. What a shame. This program was on the rise - decades in the making and now it's an intramural squad playing in the B1G. Season tickets might not drop but I bet that stadium will be devoid of purple next year.

Next season (and saving his job) will be all about whether or not COllins can bring in the transfers needed. Lots of NCAA teams are filled with them.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
The exodus begins. With his departure, I count 8 schollies in use next season (out of 13). Wonder if they might call me...

https://verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-young

9 scholarships.

By eligibility:
Juniors: Buie (C19), Beran (C19), Audige (RS, C19)
Sophomores: Berry (C19), Barnhizer (C19), Roper, Simmons, Nicholson
Freshmen: Hunger

(Buie, Beran, and Audige will be billed as seniors but they all have 2 years of eligibility left.)

Next season (and saving his job) will be all about whether or not COllins can bring in the transfers needed. Lots of NCAA teams are filled with them.
Perhaps but as of now:

G - Boo, Roper
G - Audige
G - Berry, Simmons
F - Beran, BB
C - MN, true frosh Hunger (not highly rated, should not be expected to contribute much as a frosh big man)

We don't have a two deep. We don't have enough bodies to ever run two F's and C (not that CCC understands that game anyway). We don't have five guys with a full season of experience - Roper, Simmons, BB & MN played sparingly over the whole season - Roper is the closest at 20MPG then falls off a cliff.

Scoring? Who? Audige? Sometimes....rarely. Boo - again, for a game or two. Then what?

And this all assumes no more transfers.

9 scholarships.

By eligibility:
Juniors: Buie (C19), Beran (C19), Audige (RS, C19)
Sophomores: Berry (C19), Barnhizer (C19), Roper, Simmons, Nicholson
Freshmen: Hunger

(Buie, Beran, and Audige will be billed as seniors but they all have 2 years of eligibility left.)
Fat fingered - and knew it was nine, not sure how I hit eight.

Perhaps but as of now:

G - Boo, Roper
G - Audige
G - Berry, Simmons
F - Beran, BB
C - MN, true frosh Hunger (not highly rated, should not be expected to contribute much as a frosh big man)

We don't have a two deep. We don't have enough bodies to ever run two F's and C (not that CCC understands that game anyway). We don't have five guys with a full season of experience - Roper, Simmons, BB & MN played sparingly over the whole season - Roper is the closest at 20MPG then falls off a cliff.

Scoring? Who? Audige? Sometimes....rarely. Boo - again, for a game or two. Then what?

And this all assumes no more transfers.
Yep, there will be more. Blame a lot of this mess on the AD (both past and current) and more so Administration for not figuring out a way to pay the buy out. Why is it basically every other school can buy out a contract? Find a way. We have a dead man walking at Coach. The AD doesn’t support him and everyone knows it. It was going to be bad before transfers. There is zero strategy to improve the product or player/fan experience. It’s comical that next year they will fire CCC while there is basically no hope for 2022. Then we will hire a new Coach and AD will pontificate about a new era while never addressing the structural problems. Talk about pissing away a year. NU gets what they deserve.

Yep, there will be more. Blame a lot of this mess on the AD (both past and current) and more so Administration for not figuring out a way to pay the buy out. Why is it basically every other school can buy out a contract? Find a way. We have a dead man walking at Coach. The AD doesn’t support him and everyone knows it. It was going to be bad before transfers. There is zero strategy to improve the product or player/fan experience. It’s comical that next year they will fire CCC while there is basically no hope for 2022. Then we will hire a new Coach and AD will pontificate about a new era while never addressing the structural problems. Talk about pissing away a year. NU gets what they deserve.
Any legit fan base would go beserk. Season tickets would drop to nil and the AD and Prez would get buried in angry phone calls and e-mails. Not here. Half the fan base will complain about me and argue that everyone needs to simply support the kids no matter what. And willy will bitch about admissions.

It’s not just the AD. It’s the alum. It’s the students. It’s everything around the program. If you consider yourself a college basketball fan and have any relation to NU and do nothing, you are part of the problem. At least stop buying tickets and giving money to NU and tell them why every time they call.

Reactions: lunker35
CC managed to royally F’up this season. And while doing so, with his weirdo frontcourt options, drive Young away. Resulting in likely royally F’ing up next season before it even starts.

We have no frontcourt now. We have zero attractiveness for any reasonable player in the portal.

This is not hyperbole, imo, Young was the only player that could not transfer. We stand a zero chance of being competitive now.

CC managed to royally F’up this season. And while doing so, with his weirdo frontcourt options, drive Young away. Resulting in likely royally F’ing up next season before it even starts.

We have no frontcourt now. We have zero attractiveness for any reasonable player in the portal.

This is not hyperbole, imo, Young was the only player that could not transfer. We stand a zero chance of being competitive now.
Yup - got to love the level of commitment the AD shows the students. I really hope the students and the band don’t show up next season. Maybe this AD won’t get fired as the apathy is systematic but at least he can be left with no future and become one of the various jokes around college athletics - as more and more become NU related.

I also wish nothing but the worse for CCC in his future endeavors. A real man would not continue this plight. Only a selfish, egotistical dunce of a coach.

Ok, feel a little better now.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Any legit fan base would go beserk. Season tickets would drop to nil and the AD and Prez would get buried in angry phone calls and e-mails. Not here. Half the fan base will complain about me and argue that everyone needs to simply support the kids no matter what. And willy will bitch about admissions.

It’s not just the AD. It’s the alum. It’s the students. It’s everything around the program. If you consider yourself a college basketball fan and have any relation to NU and do nothing, you are part of the problem. At least stop buying tickets and giving money to NU and tell them why every time they call.
Here’s the thing Bob, I enjoy going to games and supporting our players. I always go in holding out hope that this will be the unicorn game where we actually upset Purdue.

Selling your tickets to Michigan fans does nothing to initiate changes. The money is still green not purple or maize and Blue. The team still gets TV money. If the powers to be can’t see that putting a bunch of 80 year olds at courtside is bad, then they are morons. So the old men don’t go to games, the few ST holders get pissed that no one cares but them and then they don’t show or sell out. It’s a vicious cycle. All the while the players suffer with the apathy you see. Wtf would want to sign up for that? I am surprised RY is the only player in the portal.

They need to decide if they want to be a player in the B1G or they are content cashing a check. Changing the Coach isn’t going to suddenly fix the myriad of problems that plague this program. It’s only step one and I personally have seen nothing that makes me think that anyone is holistically looking at what steps can be at least tried to improve. The solution will be to change the Coach ( a year late) and all will be hunky doory. If anyone ran a business like this they would be canned or destroyed in the marketplace.

Reactions: nucatnap
Why is it so difficult for NU to figure out a way to pay the buy out? NU literally has more money than any other university in the Big Ten, and Pat Ryan is probably the biggest single donor in the conference as well! $3M is a pittance to both.

Here’s the thing Bob, I enjoy going to games and supporting our players. I always go in holding out hope that this will be the unicorn game where we actually upset Purdue.

Selling your tickets to Michigan fans does nothing to initiate changes. The money is still green not purple or maize and Blue. The team still gets TV money. If the powers to be can’t see that putting a bunch of 80 year olds at courtside is bad, then they are morons. So the old men don’t go to games, the few ST holders get pissed that no one cares but them and then they don’t show or sell out. It’s a vicious cycle. All the while the players suffer with the apathy you see. Wtf would want to sign up for that? I am surprised RY is the only player in the portal.

They need to decide if they want to be a player in the B1G or they are content cashing a check. Changing the Coach isn’t going to suddenly fix the myriad of problems that plague this program. It’s only step one and I personally have seen nothing that makes me think that anyone is holistically looking at what steps can be at least tried to improve. The solution will be to change the Coach ( a year late) and all will be hunky doory. If anyone ran a business like this they would be canned or destroyed in the marketplace.
So support your high school team. Or your kids teams. Or the transfers team. Why keep money into the program? It’s not like you can’t come back.

Yup - got to love the level of commitment the AD shows the students. I really hope the students and the band don’t show up next season. Maybe this AD won’t get fired as the apathy is systematic but at least he can be left with no future and become one of the various jokes around college athletics - as more and more become NU related.

I also wish nothing but the worse for CCC in his future endeavors. A real man would not continue this plight. Only a selfish, egotistical dunce of a coach.

Ok, feel a little better now.

This routine is still fun for you, eh?

Reactions: Spoonman04
This rooting for the participation trophy still fun for you?

Not at all. I don’t care nearly as much about basketball as football, but it is clear that something is quite wrong with both programs right now. Things need to change, though Fitz has probably earned himself a longer leash than Collins.

That doesn’t make me happy in the least, but it is extremely weird that you get much more active and enthusiastic in your posting whenever something goes wrong for programs you theoretically support.

Reactions: JT2311
Not at all. I don’t care nearly as much about basketball as football, but it is clear that something is quite wrong with both programs right now. Things need to change, though Fitz has probably earned himself a longer leash than Collins.

That doesn’t make me happy in the least, but it is extremely weird that you get much more active and enthusiastic in your posting whenever something goes wrong for programs you theoretically support.
You think I’m happy. Read the room.

Just not afraid to call things out. Not a sugar coater. Would want nothing more than to travel from game to game to support great teams. I can now spend without concern. Bowl game? I’m in. Let’s go dancing! Away games to see new stadiums? Got me!

Get paid handsomely to make a laughingstock of my alma mater that I did spill blood for and feel strongly about, FU. Support it and you suck from stupidity, I’ll play with you. Clearly I’m smarter - it’s taking candy from a baby.

I don’t think you’re happy. I said you get more active and enthusiastic when bad things happen, almost like you enjoy stirring things up. Weird.
BS. Old mantra. Since we have sucked for awhile. I rooted bb and traveled to watch them. I met FEW by offering to bring anyone to the bowl in Nashville. So screw you and your convenient memory. Ill put my money and resources behind a good team. Hell, I’ve committed to flying a few guys to a crappy fb game next year.

I’m south side Irish. Sox fan. All in on an effort. Total FU when you throw it. You will not find a more loyal type of fan. Ask any of our southsiders. There are quite a few including a four year starting center.

Reactions: nucatnap
Just not afraid to call things out. Not a sugar coater. Would want nothing more than to travel from game to game to support great teams. I can now spend without concern. Bowl game? I’m in. Let’s go dancing! Away games to see new stadiums? Got me!

Get paid handsomely to make a laughingstock of my alma mater that I did spill blood for and feel strongly about, FU. Support it and you suck from stupidity, I’ll play with you. Clearly I’m smarter - it’s taking candy from a baby.

Ok, man. You do you.

Yup - got to love the level of commitment the AD shows the students. I really hope the students and the band don’t show up next season.

Just a quick point here: the band is funded by the athletic department, so they aren’t going anywhere. Also, a condition of being in the band is to support the team regardless of how bad it is. This is not a new “participation trophy” mentality thing, it goes back many decades. Nobody in NUMB/NUBB would bail on the team. I was in the bball band from 96-99 and the first 3 years the team was much worse and more hopeless than we are now. My first 2 years we had basically 11 Ivy-quality players and Geno Carlisle. At least we made the NIT with Esch in 99. But I was there every night because that’s what we signed up for.

Here's a quote from a different thread about Ryan Young on December 1st...
Concerned fans were expressing disbelief that Young was playing so little...
and then this...

"If I were Young, I'd be thinking I knew better about what was going on with my playing time than frustrated folks outside the loop on a message bored, and I probably wouldn't be worried about it."

Now, as the first person on the free board to raise the specter of Young getting his diploma and transferring in disgust, I have to say "I warned you."

He'll probably end up at Stanford or somewhere with an academic reputation that will further enhance his career. I hope he finds great success and one day can come back to NU with a smile on his face.

we have had several really good coaches and the results have all been the same. Logic tells me it is much more than firing the coach. As Tex Winter told me the key is recruiting and with the admissions policies, poor tradition, and small fa n base the deck is stacked. I honestly do not know why a coach with great potential would even want the job.It must be terrible to play at home with no crowd or a crowd that cheers for the other team. Nebraska can have the worst team in the league but the fans are always there win or lose. We have never had that. ..only in fair weather

Just a quick point here: the band is funded by the athletic department, so they aren’t going anywhere. Also, a condition of being in the band is to support the team regardless of how bad it is. This is not a new “participation trophy” mentality thing, it goes back many decades. Nobody in NUMB/NUBB would bail on the team. I was in the bball band from 96-99 and the first 3 years the team was much worse and more hopeless than we are now. My first 2 years we had basically 11 Ivy-quality players and Geno Carlisle. At least we made the NIT with Esch in 99. But I was there every night because that’s what we signed up for.
Unless they can’t get enough students to sign up to support a band. Lots of other avenues for musicians to advance their trade. Not like anyone in real life will look at a resume and say ‘Wow, you were in the NU pep band!’ Unless it’s followed by ‘I didn’t realize NU even participated in organized sports.’

• Sad
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
we have had several really good coaches and the results have all been the same. Logic tells me it is much more than firing the coach. As Tex Winter told me the key is recruiting and with the admissions policies, poor tradition, and small fa n base the deck is stacked. I honestly do not know why a coach with great potential would even want the job.It must be terrible to play at home with no crowd or a crowd that cheers for the other team. Nebraska can have the worst team in the league but the fans are always there win or lose. We have never had that. ..only in fair weather
I believe NU has brought in some great talent in the last ten years. Problem has been failure to develop them and coach up the games. Despite all those challenges, I believe NU had the talent to return to the dance and appear in the NIT.

Until recently, I think that idiot coach was the best recruiter we have had a NU. But that’s were his talents end. So, if he was smart enough to surround himself with assistants that could develop talent and could coach, I wouldn’t be hostilely calling him an idiot this morning.

Unless they can’t get enough students to sign up to support a band. Lots of other avenues for musicians to advance their trade. Not like anyone in real life will look at a resume and say ‘Wow, you were in the NU pep band!’ Unless it’s followed by ‘I didn’t realize NU even participated in organized sports.’
Nobody is in the pep band to further their pep-banding career. Playing the same eight songs doesn’t do much for your future.

(I sometimes enjoy your games — but the anti-pep band rant is terrible.)

Im not sure we are getting the right kids! NU has a lot of things to offer the right kids! Develop relationships that matter in the long run! Both business and personal! Hoops is too hard on the joints past 25-30!

Here's a quote from a different thread about Ryan Young on December 1st...
Concerned fans were expressing disbelief that Young was playing so little...
and then this...

"If I were Young, I'd be thinking I knew better about what was going on with my playing time than frustrated folks outside the loop on a message bored, and I probably wouldn't be worried about it."

Now, as the first person on the free board to raise the specter of Young getting his diploma and transferring in disgust, I have to say "I warned you."

He'll probably end up at Stanford or somewhere with an academic reputation that will further enhance his career. I hope he finds great success and one day can come back to NU with a smile on his face.
Way to go out on a limb. What’s next we’ll have another departure?

Way to go out on a limb. What’s next we’ll have another departure?

When I first wrote Ryan Young was a threat to transfer it was late January.
I was definitely "going out on a limb." We were still hoping to make the NCAA tournament.
It was about the time Collins was screaming at Young specifically for being unable to guard Kofi Cockburn.
Young had a disgusted look on his face.
If there's one thing I learned from coaching kids, its this - when one of your players is physically overmatched by an opponent and getting beaten up despite trying hard, the LAST thing you do is berate them.
Thats classic Collins.

As for you and your revisionist approach to things, you don't get to take credit for things I was right about when you are proven wrong.
That happens pretty often.

What happened with Ryan Young? NU was Ryan Youngs "dream school." He said it himself..
Why did he decide to leave? Why didn't he participate in Senior Day? Is it possible he was hoping Collins would be fired?

Here it comes... "Because the Athletic Director..."

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT