ADVERTISEMENT

Young to the Portal

When I first wrote Ryan Young was a threat to transfer it was late January.
I was definitely "going out on a limb." We were still hoping to make the NCAA tournament.
It was about the time Collins was screaming at Young specifically for being unable to guard Kofi Cockburn.
Young had a disgusted look on his face.
If there's one thing I learned from coaching kids, its this - when one of your players is physically overmatched by an opponent and getting beaten up despite trying hard, the LAST thing you do is berate them.
Thats classic Collins.

As for you and your revisionist approach to things, you don't get to take credit for things I was right about when you are proven wrong.
That happens pretty often.

What happened with Ryan Young? NU was Ryan Youngs "dream school." He said it himself..
Why did he decide to leave? Why didn't he participate in Senior Day? Is it possible he was hoping Collins would be fired?

Here it comes... "Because the Athletic Director..."
Lol. Dude, I suspect he is leaving because he wants to win. He has had 4 years of losing! If NU cans CCC after the inevitable next shoe to drop and RY decides to withdraw from the portal then you would probably be correct. He got his degree, isn’t that what you always harp on as our competitive advantage? An equally relevant question is why would he stay.

comparing coaching kids to 22 year old men that are where you are in part because of being coached harder just shows your lack of understanding in what it takes to be a college athlete. It just kills me that you come on here with these physiological profiles of how college athletes react when you haven’t given us any indication that you have either played, coached or even been close to college athletes in any sport! I guess our HC didn’t pick up any of this insight when he literally grew up with Professional athletes.

Lol. Dude, I suspect he is leaving because he wants to win. He has had 4 years of losing! If NU cans CCC after the inevitable next shoe to drop and RY decides to withdraw from the portal then you would probably be correct. He got his degree, isn’t that what you always harp on as our competitive advantage? An equally relevant question is why would he stay.

comparing coaching kids to 22 year old men that are where you are in part because of being coached harder just shows your lack of understanding in what it takes to be a college athlete. It just kills me that you come on here with these physiological profiles of how college athletes react when you haven’t given us any indication that you have either played, coached or even been close to college athletes in any sport! I guess our HC didn’t pick up any of this insight when he literally grew up with Professional athletes.
As a smart kid and a senior, Young knew he was graduating on time a month ago, right?

And yet he didn't participate in Senior Day on March 6th.
Then 18 days later, he is in the transfer portal.
Why would that be?

a) Collins forgot Young was a senior and never asked him about Senior Day.
b) Collins never asked Young what his plans were regarding his eligibility.
c) Young was planning on returning next year, assuming Collins got fired.
d) Something bad happened between March 6th and March 24th.
e) Collins told Young he was not allowed to participate in Senior Day because he wasn't staying.

Seems like its one of those.

Take your pick.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Unless they can’t get enough students to sign up to support a band. Lots of other avenues for musicians to advance their trade. Not like anyone in real life will look at a resume and say ‘Wow, you were in the NU pep band!’ Unless it’s followed by ‘I didn’t realize NU even participated in organized sports.’
I didn’t mean to turn this into a thing, but nobody is pep banding to advance their musical career. I can’t speak for current students but we did it as a social outlet to hang out with NUMB friends beyond football season. Very few cared whether or not the team was good, it was just a fun thing to do.

As a smart kid and a senior, Young knew he was graduating on time a month ago, right?

And yet he didn't participate in Senior Day on March 6th.
Then 18 days later, he is in the transfer portal.
Why would that be?

a) Collins forgot Young was a senior and never asked him about Senior Day.
b) Collins never asked Young what his plans were regarding his eligibility.
c) Young was planning on returning next year, assuming Collins got fired.
d) Something bad happened between March 6th and March 24th.
e) Collins told Young he was not allowed to participate in Senior Day because he wasn't staying.

Seems like its one of those.

Take your pick.
How about F) he hadn’t made his decision yet.

was Gaines recognized? I can’t remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT