ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Allen talks about his decision

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
In the end, Boston College offered something to Zach Allen that Northwestern couldn't: the chance to play close to home.

Allen decommitted from Northwestern and gave his verbal pledge to Boston College yesterday. The three-star defensive end from New Canaan (Conn.) told WildcatReport that geography was the primary reason for his decision to flip.

"I realized that I wanted to play closer to home so my friends and family could watch me play," he stated via text message.

Of course, some people will say that Allen knew all along that Chestnut Hill, Mass., was closer to New Canaan than Evanston. They will also question the timing of his decision, more than eight and a half months after his commitment last April and just four days before National Signing Day on Wednesday.

Ironically, Allen said that he wasn't sure about his decision until he took his official visit to Northwestern last weekend.

"My official confirmed that I wanted to play closer to home," he stated. "It was a very though decision and I thank Northwestern for all they have done for my family and I though the process."

Boston College is the closest Power Five conference school to New Canaan and a program that he was already very familiar with.

"A number of schools have remained in contact with me after I committed, BC included," he stated.

Allen turned down an offer from UCLA in August to remain committed to Northwestern.

Allen's decommitment leaves Northwestern with 19 members of the Class of 2015. The Wildcats currently have two other defensive ends, Joe Gaziano and Trent Goens, who both committed to Northwestern within 24 hours of Allen last April.

This post was edited on 2/1 1:56 PM by Lou V

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News