ADVERTISEMENT

“Charity” to pay $50K per annum to each UT Offensive Lineman (in addition to $100K already established)

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Ho boy. The NIL game done changed, folks.

EDIT: this is on TOP of the $100K per player initiative that Texas recently announced. Apparently more NIL cash is on the way for their program with a goal of bridging the gap between UT football and the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katatonic
NU spends more on each of these athletes than I make in a year.

Nobody's forcing them.
Based off of what? Inflated tuition prices?

Do you know why this is a Catch-22? Because the tuition prices have skyrocketed since 1995, AKA NU’s “modern era” breakthrough season. When NU’s national profile rose, thanks largely to the football team.

So we should pay them, or create a conference of true student athletes with Stanford and the like. How do you think we’re going compete with OSU, PSU, MSU, and Michigan when they start paying their players like Texas?

Do you know why this is a Catch-22? Because the tuition prices have skyrocketed since 1995, AKA NU’s “modern era” breakthrough season. When NU’s national profile rose, thanks largely to the football team.

So we should pay them, or create a conference of true student athletes with Stanford and the like. How do you think we’re going compete with OSU, PSU, MSU, and Michigan when they start paying their players like Texas?
Training tables and stipends and nutritionists and personal trainers and tutors and on and on. I would have loved to have been part of the club.

Reactions: kawacko
Ho boy. The NIL game done changed, folks.

EDIT: this is on TOP of the $100K per player initiative that Texas recently announced. Apparently more NIL cash is on the way for their program with a goal of bridging the gap between UT football and the NFL.

This wouldn't have happened if the Supreme Court didn't rule the way they did.

Apparently they didn't care about what differentiates the college game from the pro game.

Reactions: CaliforniaCat

I will continue to beat this dead horse. The "value" of a scholarship, particularly the "70k a year" NU scholarship is spurious. NU has a generous financial aid program and it is "need blind". So let's say you are a poor football player, and are scholarship level, but truly, you are not an NFL candidate, though you do not know it yet. The actual value of the scholarship is what it replaces - the expected family contribution. I guess that would be, say, 20k, but let's say 30k just to be generous and capture some working class kids who are not so poor. So - your choice is to a) work full time, scheduling around your classes, and make around 30k a year to pay for it or b) bust your a$$ for dear ole alma mater, with a $5M head coach, for this 30k scholarship.

I assert that the football players work MORE than 40 hours a week, at an extremely physical job that would, in other industries in Chicagoland, make around 30 an hour.

The players are no more than indentured servants, and, in fact, college football players are akin to a race horse - all of the performance, none of the money. You can build all of these fancy facilities to wow them, and provide medical care, massages etc, just like you would a race horse. But - in the end, THEY are providing the entertainment, revenue and value, and the BS scholarship is just a scam.

No other economy exists like this - HS football: low revenue, no player money, low pay coaches. College football - extremely high revenue, no player money*, high pay coaches. NFL - extremely high revenue, player pay, coach pay. It's a ludicrous system. NIL is "an idea", but it basically sanctions what the bagman boosters have been doing for decades - paying players at high profile programs.

Mel Tucker signed a 90million contract. That's all you need to know. I had never heard of him before last year.

I will continue to beat this dead horse. The "value" of a scholarship, particularly the "70k a year" NU scholarship is spurious. NU has a generous financial aid program and it is "need blind". So let's say you are a poor football player, and are scholarship level, but truly, you are not an NFL candidate, though you do not know it yet. The actual value of the scholarship is what it replaces - the expected family contribution. I guess that would be, say, 20k, but let's say 30k just to be generous and capture some working class kids who are not so poor. So - your choice is to a) work full time, scheduling around your classes, and make around 30k a year to pay for it or b) bust your a$$ for dear ole alma mater, with a $5M head coach, for this 30k scholarship.

I assert that the football players work MORE than 40 hours a week, at an extremely physical job that would, in other industries in Chicagoland, make around 30 an hour.

The players are no more than indentured servants, and, in fact, college football players are akin to a race horse - all of the performance, none of the money. You can build all of these fancy facilities to wow them, and provide medical care, massages etc, just like you would a race horse. But - in the end, THEY are providing the entertainment, revenue and value, and the BS scholarship is just a scam.

No other economy exists like this - HS football: low revenue, no player money, low pay coaches. College football - extremely high revenue, no player money*, high pay coaches. NFL - extremely high revenue, player pay, coach pay. It's a ludicrous system. NIL is "an idea", but it basically sanctions what the bagman boosters have been doing for decades - paying players at high profile programs.

Mel Tucker signed a 90million contract. That's all you need to know. I had never heard of him before last year.
If it were such a bad deal, then it would be much harder to find people willing to take the deal.

If it were such a bad deal, then it would be much harder to find people willing to take the deal.
Did you watch our football team this fall. We’ve lost three good recruits… and counting.

Time to drop some cash and reverse the tide.

Reactions: NUCat320
Did you watch our football team this fall. We’ve lost three good recruits… and counting.

Time to drop some cash and reverse the tide.
NIL money comes from third parties. Go ahead and pony up. Sponsor a player.

The cause is so near and dear to your heart.

“In 1939, freshman players at the University of Pittsburgh went on strike because they were getting paid less than their upperclassman teammates.”

If someone wants to stop following big time college sports because of the money paid to players, I presume Wheaton College’s NIL money is significantly less.

“In 1939, freshman players at the University of Pittsburgh went on strike because they were getting paid less than their upperclassman teammates.”

If someone wants to stop following big time college sports because of the money paid to players, I presume Wheaton College’s NIL money is significantly less.

Remember, I'm the guy who started a thread asking if we should join the Ivy League, and I wasn't joking.

That might be the only way to keep me watching.

Player meeting with ‘Make it Purple Rain Committee’ sponsor:
———-

“Now, son, what’s it going to take to get you to return for your senior season?”

(number is written on small sheet of paper, slid across table)

”Oh, my! That much?”

(wipes sweat from brow)

”I think we can come to some sort of agreement. Maurice? Did you hear all of that? Post a new five hundred thousand dollar GoFundMe, on behalf of the committee, to pay for another fine year from our star CB!”

——

That’s football, but it isn’t college football anymore. Nobody truly attends the college they play for, not for more than a year or two tops.

You change jobs to get a bump in salary, so the era of transferring for a payday is upon us.

”Buy victory!”

(If everybody is a highly paid pro, then you had best believe I will expect victory.)

Last edited:
I think there is a chance the system buckles underneath the weight of itself (not unlike a 16-team SEC).

This is unsustainable for most programs. Some...sure. So it is possible we see the college elite become a 32-program league, and the rest of us return to more modest means. The funny thing is, if that were to happen I would still buy season tickets, go to every game, and root on the team (even if it were made up of players who "only" got full scholarships)...I'd travel to some away games and pay a company to watch games remotely when I couldn't be there live. There's still money to be made there.

Reactions: StreamCat
The players are no more than indentured servants, and, in fact, college football players are akin to a race horse - all of the performance, none of the money.
They pay race horses?

Training tables and stipends and nutritionists and personal trainers and tutors and on and on. I would have loved to have been part of the club.

Pittance compared to what the players (football, and to a lesser extent, BB) bring in, and that's mostly to keep the players in optimal physical shape.

And as CMT noted, tuition is overly inflated, and unlike for the rest of the student body (which typical gets some aid and doesn't pay full freight), the full tuition is paid for each scholarship athlete from the coffers of the athletic dept.

So not only are the FB/BB players bringing in the big bucks and paying full freight, they are also paying for the full tuition of all the other scholarship athletes.

A nice racket - esp. for private universities like NU with sky high tuition rates.

So, you're bothered by athletes finally getting to share in some of the immense amount of $$ that they bring in (by way of NILs) to maybe quit watching, but not by the gross salaries FB/BB coaches get for coaching so-called amateurs (we're talking getting paid more than the majority of professional coaches)?

Heck, we're likely going to see the 1st $3 million AD pretty soon.

Or not by how the way the boosters at Miami let Diaz hanging just in case they weren't able to pull Cristobal from Oregon?

Last edited:
Pittance compared to what the players (football, and to a lesser extent, BB) bring in, and that's mostly to keep the players in optimal physical shape.

And as CMT noted, tuition is overly inflated, and unlike for the rest of the student body (which typical gets some aid and doesn't pay full freight), the full tuition is paid for each scholarship athlete from the coffers of the athletic dept.

So not only are the FB/BB players bringing in the big bucks and paying full freight, they are also paying for the full tuition of all the other scholarship athletes.

A nice racket - esp. for private universities like NU with sky high tuition rates.

So, you're bothered by athletes finally getting to share in some of the immense amount of $$ that they bring in (by way of NILs) to maybe quit watching, but not by the gross salaries FB/BB coaches get for coaching so-called amateurs (we're talking getting paid more than the majority of professional coaches)?

Heck, we're likely going to see the 1st $3 million AD pretty soon.

Or not by how the way the boosters at Miami let Diaz hanging just in case they weren't able to pull Cristobal from Oregon?
It isn’t only Feral. And, in aggregate, millions of Ferals are where the money comes from. If they tune out, the river of money becomes a dry bed.

Eventually, cable bucks really will start to dry up, either way. This arms race is unsustainable, and bad for universities.

Listen to the PSL howls. All of this ‘free money’ comes out of us, the fans. It isn’t infinite. (Except for SEC booster money. That might be considerably closer to infinite.)

And, honestly, I’m failing to see how the administration of a fully professionalized sports league falls within the purview of academia. It was one thing for the emperor to have no clothes. But to have him lewdly streaking the city, grabbing money out of people’s hands? How much longer will this farce go on?

Last edited:
It isn’t only Feral. And, in aggregate, millions of Ferals are where the money comes from. If they tune out, the river of money becomes a dry bed.

Eventually, cable bucks really will start to dry up, either way. This arms race is unsustainable, and bad for universities.

Listen to the PSL howls. All of this ‘free money’ comes out of us, the fans. It isn’t infinite. (Except for SEC booster money. That might be considerably closer to infinite.)

And, honestly, I’m failing to see how the administration of a fully professionalized sports league falls within the purview of academia. It was one thing for the emperor to have no clothes. But to have him lewdly streaking the city, grabbing money out of people’s hands? How much longer will this farce go on?
Sorry to burst your bubble but people will watch. Most fans don't have any affiliation to the school other than 1) Born in the state or 2) Team wins and want to come along for the ride.

I doubt principled stands like yours will make a difference. If NU really falls down the wayside if it can't keep up, the play quality will suffer, and no one will care or watch.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Sorry to burst your bubble but people will watch. Most fans don't have any affiliation to the school other than 1) Born in the state or 2) Team wins and want to come along for the ride.

I doubt principled stands like yours will make a difference. If NU really falls down the wayside if it can't keep up, the play quality will suffer, and no one will care or watch.
It isn’t bursting my bubble. I think the entire thing is ridiculous. But I never said I wasn’t going to watch. I’m taking no stand. That was Feral.

And the game has been a farce since Red Grange was barnstorming in the 1920s. It hasn’t stopped me yet.

That doesn’t mean I don’t view myself as being part of the problem which produces this strange societal misallocation of resources into people like Brian Kelly.

Last edited:
It isn’t bursting my bubble. I think the entire thing is ridiculous. But I never said I wasn’t going to watch. I’m taking no stand. That was Feral.

And the game has been a farce since Red Grange was barnstorming in the 1920s. It hasn’t stopped me yet.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t view myself as being a part of the problem which produces this strange societal misallocation of resources into people like Brian Kelly.
Gotcha. Well glad we're on the same page.

Eternal Life is “significantly less?”

Don't disagree with your sentiment, but right now the $ is still flowing (mostly to already overpaid coaches) and this is despite athletic departments crying poverty not too long ago - resulting in layoffs and salary reductions.

The funny thing is, unlike professional leagues, there is no interested party to keep a handle on things money-wise.

Billionaire owners band together to cap salaries/how much they can spend on payroll, but universities don't have such an ownership interest.

What they do have are AD's (and to a certain extent, school presidents and chancellors) who want to keep their jobs - and that means getting the best head FB coach that $ can buy.

And let's not forget, university presidents and chancellors also chase $ with the whole conference move/affiliation thing.

Last edited:

First of all, I am solidly in the camp of "this is all going too far." But I might also argue that it would be irresponsible for university leaders to leave all this money and exposure on the table, since it's their job to maximize opportunities for the institution.

In case anyone does not remember, applications to Northwestern skyrocketed after our trip to the Rose Bowl. Athletics are commonly referred to as "the front porch" of a university - the difference between Northwestern and Wash U? No one watches Wash U or thinks about it on Saturday mornings in November. There are absolutely people who think more highly of NU than U of C because of sports, and more specifically, because we're B1G.

I would also argue that the only university-side official getting rich here are the f'ing coaches. University presidents and ADs are appropriately compensated for the scale of their work (in my opinion). Most of them make less than they would doing comparable work in the private sector. And the "extra" money goes to fund facilities and scholarships for kids who can throw a javelin or whatever.

I would agree with anyone who says the NCAA has failed massively and miserably in how to balance this whole thing. There were opportunities - create trusts for student athletes, funds to support their families, scholarships for those after their eligibility concludes...possibilities were seemingly endless.

First of all, I am solidly in the camp of "this is all going too far." But I might also argue that it would be irresponsible for university leaders to leave all this money and exposure on the table, since it's their job to maximize opportunities for the institution.

In case anyone does not remember, applications to Northwestern skyrocketed after our trip to the Rose Bowl. Athletics are commonly referred to as "the front porch" of a university - the difference between Northwestern and Wash U? No one watches Wash U or thinks about it on Saturday mornings in November. There are absolutely people who think more highly of NU than U of C because of sports, and more specifically, because we're B1G.

I would also argue that the only university-side official getting rich here are the f'ing coaches. University presidents and ADs are appropriately compensated for the scale of their work (in my opinion). Most of them make less than they would doing comparable work in the private sector. And the "extra" money goes to fund facilities and scholarships for kids who can throw a javelin or whatever.

I would agree with anyone who says the NCAA has failed massively and miserably in how to balance this whole thing. There were opportunities - create trusts for student athletes, funds to support their families, scholarships for those after their eligibility concludes...possibilities were seemingly endless.
I'm in this camp. I literally chose NU because they had everything I wanted: major conference athletics to watch, a facsimile of a large university social experience, and elite programs in both the arts and mathematics/sciences.

Also you're right about the coaches, in fact, it's been imperially proven that they're eating up the majority of the increased revenue. There's only so many places for it to go. Until now.

I don’t have a quibble with any of that. I do not fault the universities. I also think that NIL deals are reversing a great inequity. I don’t even fault the coaches for chasing their top market value.

I meant to ‘accuse society,’ not academia or athletes/staff. (Shakes fist at…hmm, no clouds today. Screen? Nah.) But I’m aware that I am decrying societal priorities misplaced since the days of the Byzantine chariot races.

If a certain other board still existed, I could point you to multiple threads I started in order to rant about the rise in head coaching salaries. There are prices at which greater good can be accomplished with a fiscal spend than merely racking up another football victory. I think we are absurdly far beyond those price limits. Those aren’t universal principals, though, I am aware.

This NIL stuff won’t get out of control and destructive because of athletes. Nope, it will be awful, irresponsible adults who wreck everything. And in the end, I fear athletes will be ’used’ much more than today, though at least they will get a short term payday or two.

Last edited:
There's only so many places for it to go. Until now.
Since the universities still aren't paying the players (NIL comes from third parties), I don't see where "until now" comes into play.

One "place(s) for it to go" has been non-revenue sports and scholarships.

I'm in this camp. I literally chose NU because they had everything I wanted: major conference athletics to watch, a facsimile of a large university social experience, and elite programs in both the arts and mathematics/sciences.

Also you're right about the coaches, in fact, it's been imperially proven that they're eating up the majority of the increased revenue. There's only so many places for it to go. Until now.
a) this is hilarious and b) I have seen several times where the highest paid public employee in like 46 states is the football coach and in like 2 others it's the basketball coach. One of the remaining ones was like some world class cardio surgeon or something. Then, consider how many large states have multiple highly paid coaches, so the top 2-5 might be football coaches in places like Alabama, Florida, Texas, Michigan etc. Anywhere with 2 football powers. And that won't count people at private schools like Fitz, Shaw et al.

This is also true of many school districts! Not unusual for the varsity head FB coach to be the most highly compensated person in the district (in Indiana, the basketball coach).

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm about ready to stop watching NCAA football. What drew me into watching college athletics is fading away.
Agreed. I never thought I'd say this, but I think NU should drop out of what used to be called Division 1A. I do not want to pay college athletes at NU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT