ADVERTISEMENT

13 Texas Football players test positive

Michigan had 2 of 221 tests come back positive. 0.9%. Both cases were asymptomatic. I suspect every team/school will have positive tests. The question is what happens with a positive test? Does this shut down the entire program or just the two players? Is there a test of every member of the program before every game? Lots of questions.

https://247sports.com/college/michi...l-strongly-enforcing-health-habits-148329147/

That's 13 players that don't have to worry about catching COVID during the season (unless you were talking HIV).

That's 13 players that don't have to worry about catching COVID during the season (unless you were talking HIV).
Not necessarily. There is a study out of China that indicates that asymptomatic patients don't have a very strong antibody response and may even lose any protection they had after a few weeks. If that bears out, that would be very frustrating and frightening.

Reactions: NUCat320
Everyday I read of a major university announcing plans to re-open for live instruction this fall. My daughter is at Marquette and they plan to re-open.

They are doing it because they have to. None of these schools can afford the financial hit that would occur fron students taking a semester off or deferring enrollment if the schools went to an online format in the fall. My kid will be a freshman at U of I’s Gies School of Business next fall but I have some real reservations about sending him. I don’t think the plan they have put in place will prevent a break out of the virus.

Reactions: Titanium999
They are doing it because they have to. None of these schools can afford the financial hit that would occur fron students taking a semester off or deferring enrollment if the schools went to an online format in the fall. My kid will be a freshman at U of I’s Gies School of Business next fall but I have some real reservations about sending him. I don’t think the plan they have put in place will prevent a break out of the virus.
That is totally the next stressor for those of us with college kids. The schools may make a decision, but then we have to make a decision as a family about what to do. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid back to school today and I can't imagine what will change in two months. It just sucks!

That is totally the next stressor for those of us with college kids. The schools may make a decision, but then we have to make a decision as a family about what to do. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid back to school today and I can't imagine what will change in two months. It just sucks!

My niece goes to Iowa and she just found out that the school will be requiring everyone to wear full face shields when they come back for fall semester. Ugh!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Everyday I read of a major university announcing plans to re-open for live instruction this fall. My daughter is at Marquette and they plan to re-open.
Our daughter is a Senior at Lake Forest College and I work there part time and as much as the College is doing to protect students, faculty and staff, it's going to be a challenging year. I work with students with disabilities and it has the possibility of being even more difficult for them, as they need one on one or small group interaction and exam accommodations. Plus more kids than you think are auto immune compromised. As far a athletics on the D3 level, very little is being said at this point. I do know that our school, like so many others will be ending before Thanksgiving and not returning for at least six weeks. This is a very stressful time for all of us, but especially the students.

Reactions: Titanium999
My niece goes to Iowa and she just found out that the school will be requiring everyone to wear full face shields when they come back for fall semester. Ugh!
I don't know about how your niece is feeling about Iowa is handling things, but I have a handful of friends whose kids go there and both students and parents are not happy with Iowa's plan to date. Interesting times.

Academic 2020-21 may very well be the year of the Gap Year.

My daughter just decided to defer and will be taking a gap year. Her school is doing some unusual things to fill up the incoming freshman class, including opening some spots for kids they had rejected earlier. :confused:

Agree It's schools like Illinois and UIC who are using students as guinea pigs in lieu of cash. It's wrong and wonder if the governor can step in because of such large gatherings

Answer = Endowment.

Reactions: NUCat320
I don’t know what the answer is and doubt anything can be entirely confident at this stage. Every school is going to have cases and yes there will be future flare ups. Little doubt to that. We shouldn’t act surprised if that happens. Each student/parent needs to make choices based on how comfortable they are with the plan. However, I find it ridiculous to suggest schools knowingly put lives in danger for the almighty dollar.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
Michigan had 2 of 221 tests come back positive. 0.9%. Both cases were asymptomatic. I suspect every team/school will have positive tests. The question is what happens with a positive test? Does this shut down the entire program or just the two players? Is there a test of every member of the program before every game? Lots of questions.

https://247sports.com/college/michi...l-strongly-enforcing-health-habits-148329147/
Good news for Michigan! Still,once these guys start playing in the cold weather,and a few lineman or overweight coaches get very sick, everything will collapse rather quickly!

Not worth it! I would rather go to College of DuPage or online!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT