ADVERTISEMENT

~2006 Hazing - Historical Perspective

KramerCat91

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2007
Three hazing scandals broke in 2006:
The norm in 2006 seems to be that students leading the hazing were punished. When will we see the same here?

P.S. I only vaguely remembered the soccer scandal and thought I would Google it and discovered the Willy and swimming scandals.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Three hazing scandals broke in 2006:
The norm in 2006 seems to be that students leading the hazing were punished. When will we see the same here?

P.S. I only vaguely remembered the soccer scandal and thought I would Google it and discovered the Willy and swimming scandals.

Swimming!?!? Good grief. Any former swimmers on here that can speak to this ?

Why didn't the punishments in 2006 deter hazing in football? Did locker room "hijinx" diminish for a while?

I don't think you can predict what will happen today using the outcomes from 2006. The political and cultural environment of 2023 is very different from that of 2006.

Swimming!?!? Good grief. Any former swimmers on here that can speak to this ?
Don't know anything about the swimming team hazing at northwestern.

I swam in high school. We had locker room shenanigans every year I was there.

One particular tradition was to corner the freshman before the intrasquad meet (freshman v. Sophomores v. Juniors v. Seniors) which was widely attended by students, parents, cheerleaders because it was so hilarious.

The freshman were held down if needed and painted with oil based house paint. They had boobs balls, penises, targets and stuff like that painted on them.

Lockers for freshman weren't allowed to be locked so their suits ... classic speedos were taken out of their lockers and were replaced by ridiculously large suits provided to the team captains by their parents. They would invariably fall of when they dove into the pool.

1980-1984 was when I was there.

This is where my perspective comes from.

I bet just about everyone who participated in a team sport where guys spent 4 hrs a day together killing themselves at practice back in those days has many very similar stories

Reactions: Eurocat and IGNORE2
I don't think you can predict what will happen today using the outcomes from 2006. The political and cultural environment of 2023 is very different from that of 2006.
If the punishments in 2006 were not enough to stop hazing then it makes sense to ratchet up the punishments....

Both. Make it club like men’s fencing.
Men's fencing was a hybrid called "Varsity Club" before Title 9. We got varsity letters and were given the same abilities as all other varsity athletes as regards getting out of class for scheduled sporting events. Back in that time period, those abilities to get out of class were very limited.

Out of deep respect for Cappy and his pinned post, I won't go off the rails about how much worse these allegations are than a lot of the grab ass we are have chronicled here.

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT