ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
Closing out of the 2017 class early sure seems to be paying dividends in 2018!

Two very high potential complimentary DE's - check
Fill Superbacks depth issue with two complimentary SB's- check
Get one of your top QB targets early- check
Fill all three OL slots with early offers- check
Get 5 Illinois targets and 4 in Chicagoland- check
Keep the Texas momentum with two verbals and few more potentially on the horizon. - check
Continue to have a strong hit percentage on offers- check

Staff doing the job!

Reactions: NUinIowafan
Great start to this class. Gonna be prett much done by July.

Get Newsome and our IL class is awesome. Would like to see another CB after him.

Two DTs would be nice. Sykes has the frame for a 300 lb interior anchor.

More athletes. Jaylan Franklin is a guy I really like.

I hope we can score a few more from ACC country.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Does anybody know what our chances are with Sykes? Is he waiting for a Stanford offer or are we his dream school? I always thought that the Ivies only give out academic scholarships. I remember reading on WR that he was visiting several Ivies a few weeks ago. Is he actually thinking about turning down a full ride at NU?

Does anybody know what our chances are with Sykes? Is he waiting for a Stanford offer or are we his dream school? I always thought that the Ivies only give out academic scholarships. I remember reading on WR that he was visiting several Ivies a few weeks ago. Is he actually thinking about turning down a full ride at NU?

Doubt we take more than 4 DL. If Henderson grabs a spot, Sykes will need to move fast.

We are now at 10 commits. Assuming we have 19 scholarships to give, I think a realistic list of nine guys that could fill out the rest of the class is as follows:

- RB Deion Smith
- WR Kyle Phillips
- DT Jacob Sykes
- DT Jevon Henderson
- LB Grayson Mann
- LB Jacob Mangum-Farrar
- LB Evan Stewart
- CB Elisha Guidry
- S Christian Morgan

Scholarships are need based. In football that concept does not compare to a "full ride" at major colleges. The Ivies have a big advantage in the NCAA scholarship limited sports such as lacrosse. Many times they can offer a lot more money to a "recruit" than schools dividing 12.6 scholarships between 40 players

We are now at 10 commits. Assuming we have 19 scholarships to give, I think a realistic list of nine guys that could fill out the rest of the class is as follows:

- RB Deion Smith
- WR Kyle Phillips
- DT Jacob Sykes
- DT Jevon Henderson
- LB Grayson Mann
- LB Jacob Mangum-Farrar
- LB Evan Stewart
- CB Elisha Guidry
- S Christian Morgan

No Micah Jones?

- RB Deion Smith
- WR Kyle Phillips
- DT Jacob Sykes
- DT Jevon Henderson
- LB Grayson Mann
- LB Jacob Mangum-Farrar
- LB Evan Stewart
- CB Elisha Guidry
- S Christian Morgan
I'd be pretty happy with all that. I guess Stewart would be groomed for OLB given his size. Seems like a very good athlete.

Jaylan Franklin is another guy who could be recruited at LB, or maybe even SB. Love his athleticism..

No Micah Jones?

That would only happen if Kelly is fired and we just don't know if that is going to happen. I put together the list based on what I thought was most likely to happen. There are several other guys that are certainly possible but I think less likely than the list I put together.

I would be extremely happy with Corbi's list. But one thing strikes me as particularly unusual. Traditionally we have heavily recruited Ohio. But Henderson, assuming he commits, would be the only Ohio recruit.

Top to bottom, the assumed class probably rates (for what that is worth) as high or higher than any in recent history. That said, recently our lower rated recruits have seen the field and produced quite well.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
In terms of average score (using that silly 4 decimal composite) at Denny's, 2018 looks to be right there with 2014 and 2017. I think our early commitments tend to punish our overlooked gems from a ratings perspective, because these kids, once committed, tend to skip recruiting camps and don't get as much interest from other programs--both of which can drive up scores.

Jefferson is a good example. His camp performance was quite good (that video clip is awesome) and his tape says enough. He's a low/middling 3 start / 82 composite, but he could easily be a mid-80s composite.

Watch what happens with the safety from Texas, Christian Morgan, after he blew the doors off the Nike camp. He should get more interest in the next wave of offers. Hopefully we can nab him!

But the ratings stuff is mostly fake news. The 4 decimal point composite is a joke and much of the methods punish guys we recruit early. So many of the lower rated guys in our recent classes have been big contributors--Alex Miller, Jared McGee, XWash, Hartage, Nate Hall, Jayme Taylor (was on track before injury), Matt Harris, etc. that I worry little about our lower rated recruits. I think we have a bit of competitive advantage in our scouting here. I love our highly rated guys too, but our class floor is not what the ratings would imply. We find guys who can play better than many schools.

I would be extremely happy with Corbi's list. But one thing strikes me as particularly unusual. Traditionally we have heavily recruited Ohio. But Henderson, assuming he commits, would be the only Ohio recruit.

Top to bottom, the assumed class probably rates (for what that is worth) as high or higher than any in recent history. That said, recently our lower rated recruits have seen the field and produced quite well.

I think this year's trend in Ohio is an anomaly, I do think Texas has become our top state outside of Illinois with Ohio close behind. With Illinois being fertile ground for us this and with Texas yielding it's usually high number of viable prospects for us, I think Ohio has taken a little bit of a back seat.

In terms of average score (using that silly 4 decimal composite) at Denny's, 2018 looks to be right there with 2014 and 2017. I think our early commitments tend to punish our overlooked gems from a ratings perspective, because these kids, once committed, tend to skip recruiting camps and don't get as much interest from other programs--both of which can drive up scores.

Jefferson is a good example. His camp performance was quite good (that video clip is awesome) and his tape says enough. He's a low/middling 3 start / 82 composite, but he could easily be a mid-80s composite.

Watch what happens with the safety from Texas, Christian Morgan, after he blew the doors off the Nike camp. He should get more interest in the next wave of offers. Hopefully we can nab him!

But the ratings stuff is mostly fake news. The 4 decimal point composite is a joke and much of the methods punish guys we recruit early. So many of the lower rated guys in our recent classes have been big contributors--Alex Miller, Jared McGee, XWash, Hartage, Nate Hall, Jayme Taylor (was on track before injury), Matt Harris, etc. that I worry little about our lower rated recruits. I think we have a bit of competitive advantage in our scouting here. I love our highly rated guys too, but our class floor is not what the ratings would imply. We find guys who can play better than many schools.

I was just about to post something regarding Christian Morgan, and then I read your comment. He really intrigues me, I don't get it. He is not that highly rated, and does not have a particularly impressive offer list.yet he seems to be extremely athletic, a kid you would want to grab in a heartbeat even if you have to figure out later what to do with him. I still suspect we are recruiting him for cornerback. Is that correct?

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I was just about to post something regarding Christian Morgan, and then I read your comment. He really intrigues me, I don't get it. He is not that highly rated, and does not have a particularly impressive offer list.yes he seems to be extremely athletic, a kid you would want to grab it in a heartbeat even if you have to figure out later what to do with him. I still suspect we are recruiting him for cornerback. Is that correct?

He's a safety. While he has decent size and is clearly a good overall athlete, I can only surmise his lack of real "burst" is holding back from getting "big boy" offers. While he has good speed, he kind of eases into it instead of quickly accelerating. Beyond that, there's not much you don't like on tape.

I was just about to post something regarding Christian Morgan, and then I read your comment. He really intrigues me, I don't get it. He is not that highly rated, and does not have a particularly impressive offer list.yes he seems to be extremely athletic, a kid you would want to grab it in a heartbeat even if you have to figure out later what to do with him. I still suspect we are recruiting him for cornerback. Is that correct?
Honestly, I think it's a matter of having tons of kids out there playing football, and a lot get overlooked. Guys like Porter can easily fall under the radar if they are playing in smaller schools in less known conferences (Porter is outside Houston and plays in 5A-the second highest tier, so not quite under the radar). If they are not going to camps as youngsters, there is a good chance they won't pop up on the radar until they are sophomores or juniors.

Morgan has offers from Baylor, Vandy, Texas Tech, and NU among a host of other schools, so he's not really a secret.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of having tons of kids out there playing football, and a lot get overlooked. Guys like Porter can easily fall under the radar if they are playing in smaller schools in less known conferences (Porter is outside Houston and plays in 5A-the second highest tier, so not quite under the radar). If they are not going to camps as youngsters, there is a good chance they won't pop up on the radar until they are sophomores or juniors.

Morgan has offers from Baylor, Vandy, Texas Tech, and NU among a host of other schools, so he's not really a secret.
So does that mean the Baylor offer is scaring them off?

I guess you could say that Baylor is a "fixer upper" program, but the truth is it's more like a nice looking house that has mold in the walls, lead paint on the interior wood surfaces, and dioxin in the soil in the backyard, not to mention a serious sewage problem.

- RB Deion Smith
- WR Kyle Phillips
- DT Jacob Sykes
- DT Jevon Henderson
- LB Grayson Mann
- LB Jacob Mangum-Farrar
- LB Evan Stewart
- CB Elisha Guidry
- S Christian Morgan

Where do I sign? Would be an exceptional finish. Mann, Henderson and Sykes seem to be the one's trending with us as a leader. Haven't heard that on the others, so I assume your group is based on some initial interest or comparative offer lists. I would be very happy with this.

I will add a few names from Indiana without offers to my Knowledge. Johnny Adams -RB and Julius Brents-DB.

Also, surprised like others on Morgan's somewhat limited offers by P5 programs.

Last edited:
Where do I sign? Would be an exceptional finish. Mann, Henderson and Sykes seem to be the one's trending with us as a leader. Haven't heard that on the others, so I assume your group is based on some initial interest or comparative offer lists. I would be very happy with this.

I will add a few names from Indiana without offers to my Knowledge. Johnny Adams -RB and Jules Brent-DB.

Also, surprised like others on Morgan's somewhat limited offers by P5 programs.

ND is sniffing hard at Morgan, if they don't offer soon, I think we have a good shot. I agree that the two kids from Indiana are likely in the next round of offers if some of the kids I listed don't jump on their offers soon. The list I put together was based on a combination of how much interest they have shown in us and who else has offered them. There may be 1 or 2 stretches (WR Phillips) but the rest are very reasonable gets in my mind.

I guess you could say that Baylor is a "fixer upper" program, but the truth is it's more like a nice looking house that has mold in the walls, lead paint on the interior wood surfaces, and dioxin in the soil in the backyard, not to mention a serious sewage problem.
And just having a Baylor offer taints him.

Reactions: FloridAlum
ND is sniffing hard at Morgan, if they don't offer soon, I think we have a good shot. I agree that the two kids from Indiana are likely in the next round of offers if some of the kids I listed don't jump on their offers soon. The list I put together was based on a combination of how much interest they have shown in us and who else has offered them. There may be 1 or 2 stretches (WR Phillips) but the rest are very reasonable gets in my mind.

Only because he was mentioned and I didn't include him on the Chicago Opening results thread...

Julius Brents
Ht: 6-2
Wt: 179
40: 4.82
SS: 4.27
VJ: 39.3

Unless he projects to OLB, that 40 might hurt him as he goes through the process (as I'm assuming he's likely a "camp kid" for most schools that haven't offered to date). It's also a little odd as the 40 stands in stark contrast to the vertical, which is outstanding. He's also not a burner on his tape (linked here), but doesn't look 4.8.

Only because he was mentioned and I didn't include him on the Chicago Opening results thread...

Julius Brents
Ht: 6-2
Wt: 179
40: 4.82
SS: 4.27
VJ: 39.3

Unless he projects to OLB, that 40 might hurt him as he goes through the process (as I'm assuming he's likely a "camp kid" for most schools that haven't offered to date). It's also a little odd as the 40 stands in stark contrast to the vertical, which is outstanding. He's also not a burner on his tape (linked here), but doesn't look 4.8.

He was hurt his junior year so not sure if the tape is of his sophomore season. If so, it might explain why he does not look faster on tape.

He was hurt his junior year so not sure if the tape is of his sophomore season. If so, it might explain why he does not look faster on tape.

The tape is called "Junior Campaign," the introduction says "Junior Season" and then "Four games due to injury." There's also a separately-posted video called" Sophomore Year c/o 2018 (linked here).

Pretty confident that the original link, indeed, his junior tape.

The tape is called "Junior Campaign," the introduction says "Junior Season" and then "Four games due to injury." There's also a separately-posted video called" Sophomore Year c/o 2018 (linked here).

Pretty confident that the original link, indeed, his junior tape.

Ok. Didn't have a chance to look at it myself so wasn't sure

Are you referencing Chip and Joanna, deep in the hearth of Waco? That do a great job of fixing things up but Baylor needs a total teardown.

Chip and Jo are mostly cosmetic remodelers. Baylor needs the professionals. I would look north to Canada and get this guy, because he really knows his $4it.

article1.jpg

I wouldn't read too much into that, given how easy it is to switch. Without giving away too much of what's on the Rock, still a lot of competition ti seems.
Big rule in recruiting. Often a numbers game. The more highly qualified people you are talking to and getting interested in a position, the more likely you are to get what you need which is one of those top candidates to take the job..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT