ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB and downstream effect of CFP

RhabdoWildcat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
Based on the thoughts of people with more football acumen than myself and the highlight tapes, our 2019 QB prospect looks like a stud. The worry was if Petersen came calling he might entice him to stay in state.

Now with Washington taking multiple QB prospects and Eason likely transferring from Georgia, seems like we are set. The only good thing from having Georgia and Alabama play imo.

Also do we have a shot at Jalen Hurts? I still think a true duel threat, provided he can improve his passing, benefits us more than a prostyle QB.

Based on the thoughts of people with more football acumen than myself and the highlight tapes, our 2019 QB prospect looks like a stud. The worry was if Petersen came calling he might entice him to stay in state.

Now with Washington taking multiple QB prospects and Eason likely transferring from Georgia, seems like we are set. The only good thing from having Georgia and Alabama play imo.

Also do we have a shot at Jalen Hurts? I still think a true duel threat, provided he can improve his passing, benefits us more than a prostyle QB.

Hooray for wild conjecture!

Millen committed to Northwestern after taking an unofficial visit on his own dime knowing full well that Washington could yet offer, yet we were "worried" because...?

Hurts hasn't even announced his intention to transfer, yet we're wondering if a guy who had offers from 15+ schools will end up at Northwestern, a school from which he did NOT have a reported offer?

Reactions: Aging Booster

Hooray for wild conjecture!

Millen committed to Northwestern after taking an unofficial visit on his own dime knowing full well that Washington could yet offer, yet we were "worried" because...?

Hurts hasn't even announced his intention to transfer, yet we're wondering if a guy who had offers from 15+ schools will end up at Northwestern, a school from which he did NOT have a reported offer?
It's called an internet message board buddy.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I don't want Hurts. I'd rather go with what we have. We must have better choices for a transfer qb than him. Let him wallow in his despair at another sec team. He might wind up playing for Kiffin- that is my prediction on where he'll wind up. FIU/FAU?? Whatever directional school he coaches at is full of goons like Hurts! He'll fit right in for Kiffin. Hurts would NOT fit in at NU!

Last edited:
It's impossible to speculate yet because nobody will know anything about CT's timetable for recovery until after his surgery later this month.

After they get his recovery schedule, they can plan out how they'll set up for the 2018 season, but most likely we'll have an internal competition between our 3 current QBs that have a year or two in the program, and they'll see if CT is able to play by the start of the season or target an early/mid-season game like the Michigan game.

Reactions: Aging Booster
I don't want Hurts. I'd rather go with what we have. Jalen Hurts is a punk. We must have better choices for a transfer qb than him. Let him wallow in his despair at another sec team. He might wind up playing for Kiffin- that is my prediction on where he'll wind up. FIU/FAU?? Whatever directional school he coaches at is full of goons like Hurts! He'll fit right in for Kiffin. Hurts would NOT fit in at NU!
I agree that Hurts doesn't make sense here, because he wouldn't be able to play next year when we need a transfer the most. But what's with the vitriol? Did Hurts kick your dog or something?

Reactions: willycat
I agree that Hurts doesn't make sense here, because he wouldn't be able to play next year when we need a transfer the most. But what's with the vitriol? Did Hurts kick your dog or something?
I don't like alabama players and coaches overall as a rule. They are, imho, worse than JHarbaugh at Mich. Did you see that imbecile Bama player (I think his name is Mikha Brown?) punch the Georgia player and THEN attack his own coach on the sidelines? I think this was discussed on another thread. But then, he didn't get ejected by the refs AND Saban put him right back into the game?? I will never have a good opinion of Bama, their coaches, or their players after that spectacle of "win at all costs with whatever players/coaches will get the win." This is my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. The chicagoland sports-radio shows went in-depth agreeing with me the past two days as well. :) Plus, he isn't that good of a qb either in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't like alabama players and coaches overall as a rule. They are, imho, worse than JHarbaugh at Mich. Did you see that imbecile Bama player (I think his name is Mikha Brown?) punch the Georgia player and THEN attack his own coach on the sidelines? I think this was discussed on another thread. But then, he didn't get ejected by the refs AND Saban put him right back into the game?? I will never have a good opinion of Bama, their coaches, or their players after that spectacle of "win at all costs with whatever players/coaches will get the win." This is my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. The chicagoland sports-radio shows went in-depth agreeing with me the past two days as well. :) Hurts is guilty by association. Plus, he isn't that good of a qb either in my opinion.

Jalen Hurts seems like a spectacular kid. Coach's son. It appears that he graduated in the top five percent of his class (based on Wikipedia).

I'm hopeful that people don't make assumptions about me based on their opinions of you.

Hurts probably had the best hair in the CFP, don't you think?

I don't want Hurts. I'd rather go with what we have. Jalen Hurts is a punk. We must have better choices for a transfer qb than him. Let him wallow in his despair at another sec team. He might wind up playing for Kiffin- that is my prediction on where he'll wind up. FIU/FAU?? Whatever directional school he coaches at is full of goons like Hurts! He'll fit right in for Kiffin. Hurts would NOT fit in at NU!

A punk? You are basing that on what? The kid’s comportment on the field and on the side line under difficult circumstances was exemplary. Regardless of fit at NU, your comments are completely out of line.

It's called an internet message board buddy.
Yeah, I agree. I've actually seen much crazier stuff posted here, including one of mine after the Debacle in Durham. I compared Fitz to Carmody (can only reach a certain level, unwilling to change), whereas CCC clearly had a better trajectory. That looks pretty stupid right about now

Yeah, I agree. I've actually seen much crazier stuff posted here, including one of mine after the Debacle in Durham. I compared Fitz to Carmody (can only reach a certain level, unwilling to change), whereas CCC clearly had a better trajectory. That looks pretty stupid right about now
Maybe I'm just jealous of Bama's success over the past decade? I have considered all of the banter and believe that I may have been wrong? I didn't realize all of this about Hurts. Sounds like a good fellow. I hope I didn't hurts anyone's feelings?? Can I still dislike Brown?

I don't like alabama players and coaches overall as a rule. They are, imho, worse than JHarbaugh at Mich. Did you see that imbecile Bama player (I think his name is Mikha Brown?) punch the Georgia player and THEN attack his own coach on the sidelines? I think this was discussed on another thread. But then, he didn't get ejected by the refs AND Saban put him right back into the game?? I will never have a good opinion of Bama, their coaches, or their players after that spectacle of "win at all costs with whatever players/coaches will get the win." This is my opinion. You don't have to agree with me. The chicagoland sports-radio shows went in-depth agreeing with me the past two days as well. :) Plus, he isn't that good of a qb either in my opinion.

The next time we saw Brown , he laid out Georgia's KR with a clothesline tackle-legal ?

The next time we saw Brown , he laid out Georgia's KR with a clothesline tackle-legal ?
To me - that looked like a violent but legal hit. Brown basically brought the returner down with a forearm to the shoulder (but not a horse-collar).

During the broadcast, Fowler actually said that the officiating expert in the booth indicated the same thing.

Obviously he doesn't hurt Dawgs or they would have left him in the game....
You brought your "A" game today.

Seriously, I wonder how many coaches would have had the guts to change QBs like that at halftime. Not many, I think. Saban's explanation was beautiful in its simplicity: I thought we would need to throw the ball to win, and I thought Tua would do a better job of it.

He was precisely right. Throw Tua made to tie the game late was superb. And then he found the WR in single coverage in overtime and fired a laser to him. In Tua's interview after the game, he specifically cited how he saw Georgia in Cover 2 and worked hard to look off the safety to get the isolation on the deep sideline route.

Why r so many of u so worried bout bringing in a transfer qb?? Whoever gets the nod next year will be fine all 3 were very good HS qbs. I’m sure McCall will rely on Larkin and moten heavily and not asks qbs todo a lot until they get a few games under their belt. The sky is not falling b1 of the qbs will step up

Why r so many of u so worried bout bringing in a transfer qb?? Whoever gets the nod next year will be fine all 3 were very good HS qbs. I’m sure McCall will rely on Larkin and moten heavily and not asks qbs todo a lot until they get a few games under their belt. The sky is not falling b1 of the qbs will step up
Everyone here hopes you're right, but it's natural to worry when your projected senior leader goes down, and none of the others has taken a snap in B1G action.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
You brought your "A" game today.

Seriously, I wonder how many coaches would have had the guts to change QBs like that at halftime. Not many, I think. Saban's explanation was beautiful in its simplicity: I thought we would need to throw the ball to win, and I thought Tua would do a better job of it.

He was precisely right. Throw Tua made to tie the game late was superb. And then he found the WR in single coverage in overtime and fired a laser to him. In Tua's interview after the game, he specifically cited how he saw Georgia in Cover 2 and worked hard to look off the safety to get the isolation on the deep sideline route.
Saban can be criticized for plenty, but he is a heck of a football coach. His teams are almost always prepared and he is not adverse to trying different things.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
Everyone here hopes you're right, but it's natural to worry when your projected senior leader goes down, and none of the others has taken a snap in B1G action.
It is not that I don't think several of our underclassmen will eventually be really, really good BIG qbs. What worries me is if they will be like Mike Kafka. That is, he was mediocre until his senior year when he was phenomenal. We might need a bridge qb? The reason why I think it may be worth a good look for a transfer grad qb is that our underclassmen might need a little seasoning b4 being kickass qbs for us as jrs and srs. If anyone was there at the spring game b4 Kafka's senior year (I know we only went 8-4/loss to Auburn in bowl that year/but we beat Wisconsin), it was fairly obvious that he was going to be very special for us his senior year. So I guess everybody involved with the Cats program might have a good idea where we are after the spring game of 2018, with the qb position/if there will be alpha qb step up for us as underclassmen. My opinion is that the jury will have a verdict in april- or at least a better idea of where we are.

It is not that I don't think several of our underclassmen will eventually be really, really good BIG qbs. What worries me is if they will be like Mike Kafka. That is, he was mediocre until his senior year when he was phenomenal. We might need a bridge qb? The reason why I think it may be worth a good look for a transfer grad qb is that our underclassmen might need a little seasoning b4 being kickass qbs for us as jrs and srs. If anyone was there at the spring game b4 Kafka's senior year (I know we only went 8-4/loss to Auburn in bowl that year/but we beat Wisconsin), it was fairly obvious that he was going to be very special for us his senior year. So I guess everybody involved with the Cats program might have a good idea where we are after the spring game of 2018, with the qb position/if there will be alpha qb step up for us as underclassmen. My opinion is that the jury will have a verdict in april- or at least a better idea of where we are.

One does not become a kickass QB by sitting on the bench. Sometimes it takes a player one or two seasons of making mistakes and learning in real games, like Kafka did.

Reactions: zeek55
My memory might be failing me or my memories might be softened by age, but the only truly terrible years of quarterbacking caused by inexperience in the Fitz era are the Brewfka debacle and Thorson's first season (and Siemian's injured final season wasn't great).

Transitions to Bacher, senior Kafka, Persia, Colter, and Colter / Siemian were all pretty good.

I'm confident that, given the chance, whoever wins the four-headed battle will be adequate.

This is an inopporrtune time to start with a conference road game, but them's the breaks.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
One does not become a kickass QB by sitting on the bench. Sometimes it takes a player one or two seasons of making mistakes and learning in real games, like Kafka did.
This is a good point...but how about if one of our players is like Trubisky. He didn't really play until his senior year/and now starts in the nfl. Did NC make bowl games the first three years he was eligible with another qb? I don't know what the hell to post on this thread? I'd like to root for the Cats in bowl games the next two years. That is my hope? Will we make a bowl if Smith, Green, or Marty start for us next year?? DaCat what do you think. If we can make it to 6 wins, then I'd say start them. I am all for qb development. What if we only win 4 games with Smith, Green or Marty the next two years? Would it be worth it if they play great their sr year and get us 10 wins? I am not an expert here at all. Any input?

You said it all... they were good high school QB's. Sounds like your willing to sit through another losing start.

You said it all... they were good high school QB's. Sounds like your willing to sit through another losing start.
Just because they're unknown doesn't mean losing start. It also doesn't mean winning start. The thing that has everybody clammoring for grad transfers is that they're all unknown. I honestly haven't seen McCall do a bad job of being up qb's yet as a cat fan. (I started remembering games vaguely bacher at qb, first RB remember is sutton and first defensive player I remember is wooton) The only times I've seen sub par qb play is injuried siemian and you can't really prevent that. Also freshman Thorson and we still won 10 games. We have Larkin who will be solid and brown and Moten backing him up. We return Vault and Brown at WR and KR adding a lot of speed and potential for deep balls. Return most of our oline which I hope continues their improving trend. Given our schedule could be an 8 win team pretty easily.

This is a good point...but how about if one of our players is like Trubisky. He didn't really play until his senior year/and now starts in the nfl. Did NC make bowl games the first three years he was eligible with another qb? I don't know what the hell to post on this thread? I'd like to root for the Cats in bowl games the next two years. That is my hope? Will we make a bowl if Smith, Green, or Marty start for us next year?? DaCat what do you think. If we can make it to 6 wins, then I'd say start them. I am all for qb development. What if we only win 4 games with Smith, Green or Marty the next two years? Would it be worth it if they play great their sr year and get us 10 wins? I am not an expert here at all. Any input?

No one knows yet how many games Thorson will miss next season. Whoever emerges as the QB replacement to start the season will probably have a limited playbook, as Thorson did as a first year starter. As noted, we somehow managed to win 10 games that year, with the first win against Stanford. So I'm not ready to write off the season just yet.

Reactions: iskaboo
Next year's schedule is tough yes, but nearly all of the difficult games are at home.

Plus, it doesn't start *that* hard. Yes Purdue and Duke are no gimmes, but they are beatable by us even if we're breaking in a new QB.

Michigan and Notre Dame have issues (the latter will have different coaching) and neither was an offensive dynamo this past year.

There's an opportunity to win a lot of games if the offense is at least passable and the defense takes another step upwards even with relative youth taking some important spots.

The only 2 teams in the Big Ten that I think would boatrace us next year are Ohio State and Penn State, and they aren't on the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT