ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
It seems like no more blue chippers are on the offer sheet for next year, but the recent commits has me thinking about 2020. Heck, this year, the top five NU recruits ever will be on the same floor. There is room for this to repeat:

Next years team presumably will include Kopp, Nance and probably Beran as solid starting players. That would likely mean 3 forwards and leave open two guard spots. Without speaking to Greer or Gaines' ability while checking out the 2020 options - we are loaded with high end guard offers. I think it should be pretty darn persuasive to say that we have two starting guard spots open and every spot on the team is an open competition (though no one is likely to unseat the three names above). Any of the incoming frosh could win a starting guard spot and if two heralded guards commit, we could see the most talented, athletic starting lineup to ever take the floor for NU. And that could launch the program into newer levels, something that I have felt we could do and should expect.

I really like the addition of Beran. This is the type of recruit I have been waiting for in this recruiting cycle. I would like to see another ball-handling transfer and then whatever CCC wants to use for the fifth schollie. I think this year is a pot shot - some tremendous talent and potential talent with a glaringly wide deficiency at ball-handler. With some luck and success with a couple from Turner, Taylor, Nance and Kopp, who knows - might catch lightening in a bottle again.

But the following year - with successful guard recruiting could mark turning the corner that will change everything. Fingers crossed. (Sorry if the positive tone of this message disappoints certain elements of this Board - gcg, corbi, Va, Da, etc.)

Reactions: mikewebb68
“No more blue chippers.” C’mon, let yourself enjoy this back-to-back commitment for at least 24 hours!

Gultekin has offers from three other Big Ten schools, plus Georgetown, TCU, Rhode Island and others. Austin and Roddy both have Big Ten offers, too. Let’s wrap up the 2019 class, have a strong bounce back season and then worry about how 2020 will shape up.

This is best day NU basketball fans have had in quite some time!!!

“No more blue chippers.” C’mon, let yourself enjoy this back-to-back commitment for at least 24 hours!

Gultekin has offers from three other Big Ten schools, plus Georgetown, TCU, Rhode Island and others. Austin and Roddy both have Big Ten offers, too. Let’s wrap up the 2019 class, have a strong bounce back season and then worry about how 2020 will shape up.

This is best day NU basketball fans have had in quite some time!!!
My question is whether it is better to have 4 in this class plus a transfer to balance out recruiting or taking all 5 for this years class.

My question is whether it is better to have 4 in this class plus a transfer to balance out recruiting or taking all 5 for this years class.

Don;t you think, next year, Ryan will be in the '19 class?

I think you get the best guard possible and then pause. If an elite frosh player becomes avail you maybe take that player. But a quality transfer PG wouldn't be bad for a year.

I don't get what you are saying. Greer is an '18 recruit and will play this season.....

I'm saying that with Dererk and Benson, Ryan gets redshirted....which means that he'll have four years of eligibility concurrent with the 19 class.

So it could make sense to hunt for a more polished transfer for one year....in addition to the on-the-court contribution, he'd even out the classes a bit.

Also, a decent campaign this year, the new Welsh Ryan on television for a year, may help with the 20 class.

I'm saying that with Dererk and Benson, Ryan gets redshirted....which means that he'll have four years of eligibility concurrent with the 19 class.

So it could make sense to hunt for a more polished transfer for one year....in addition to the on-the-court contribution, he'd even out the classes a bit.

Also, a decent campaign this year, the new Welsh Ryan on television for a year, may help with the 20 class.
Greer will play significant minutes this year and certainly will not redshirt. There is absolutely no reason for him to be "concurrent" with the 2019 class. There is a reason that we asked him to move down to the 2018 class.

Greer will play significant minutes this year and certainly will not redshirt. There is absolutely no reason for him to be "concurrent" with the 2019 class. There is a reason that we asked him to move down to the 2018 class.

I believe Medill is talking about Ryan Young, while you are talking about Ryan Greer. I think that’s where the disconnect is in this conversation.

He was talking Ryan Young RS who makes sense to RS given his need for development plus the makeup of the roster. Unless they get another guard and a transfer guard, likely Greer will get plenty of time on the floor

Last edited:
There's a lot of calculus to sort through.

In '21 you've got to find a place for Patrick Baldwin, but he's only going to be around for a year....two at most.

A lot of balls to juggle.

There's a lot of calculus to sort through.

In '21 you've got to find a place for Patrick Baldwin, but he's only going to be around for a year....two at most.

A lot of balls to juggle.
Easier if you have more balanced classes

I'm very surprised to hear this. I would have thought the idea of reclassifying him was because he was good enough to contribute now.

I really don't like the thought of relying on a group of just 10 scholarship players.

You can always take the redshirt off and go play if injuries dictate, like we did with Pardon after Olah and Van Zegeren both got hurt. (Damn, it would be nice to have two more years of eligibility for him.)

Collins uses relatively small rotations most of the time. Unless injuries force otherwise, I'm expecting two redshirts this year as well.

Reactions: Medill90
I'm very surprised to hear this. I would have thought the idea of reclassifying him was because he was good enough to contribute now.

I really don't like the thought of relying on a group of just 10 scholarship players.

its all about managing lineups and playing time. Ash will most likely not start per CBJ interview, so balancing two PGs on the bench doesn't make sense. if Ash is healthy it makes sense to use a rs year on Greer and not waste a year on minimal playing time. if needed you can do a Pardon type move and pull the rs and play Greer

You can always take the redshirt off and go play if injuries dictate, like we did with Pardon after Olah and Van Zegeren both got hurt. (Damn, it would be nice to have two more years of eligibility for him.)

While would have loved to have another year of Pardon (would be an absolute monster), getting that experience as a frosh was likely vital to his level of play during the run to the Tourney; w/o it, who knows?

Maybe things wouldn't have worked out.

Reactions: DaCat
its all about managing lineups and playing time. Ash will most likely not start per CBJ interview, so balancing two PGs on the bench doesn't make sense. if Ash is healthy it makes sense to use a rs year on Greer and not waste a year on minimal playing time. if needed you can do a Pardon type move and pull the rs and play Greer

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Will create an interesting dynamic in 2019 about who will win the lead guard spot, particularly if Austin commits tomorrow.

While this makes sense for us, would that disappoint or mislead Greer after he skipped his last year of high school?

While this makes sense for us, would that disappoint or mislead Greer after he skipped his last year of high school?
IF, and only if, it became clear to Greer that he isn't ready to contribute at a Big 10 level this season, then I doubt he would be disappointed to red shirt having passed up his senior HS season. He still has a scholarship to a Power conference school and 4 years of eligibility left. I doubt Collins made any playing time commitment during his recruitment.

Greer had already "held back" a year.....so graduation this year put him with his birth class.

From a basketball perspective, he gets to practice and train for a full year with a Big Ten team, versus bumpin' around with a high-level hs team. (He got the Big Ten scholly, what else did he want after already playing there a year?)

From an academic perspective, he potentially gets to squeeze in 1-2 years of graduate classes at NU for free if he's around for five.

I think he and family are pretty happy with the decision.

Reactions: Pukecat
this is not true at this point

there is a chance 2 of the 3 ryans will redshirt

That would be terrific. Staggers our scholarship situation and gives the young Ryans a chance to work with our coaches and our strength & conditioning staff for an extra season.

That would be terrific. Staggers our scholarship situation and gives the young Ryans a chance to work with our coaches and our strength & conditioning staff for an extra season.

This does not stagger our scholarship situation, unless you think that two players in the 2019 recruiting class are also going to redshirt. While that may be the case, I don't necessarily think it's a good thing for the long-term to be redshirting half of your recruiting classes as freshmen (obviously injuries are another story). While I understand NU is a development program in basketball as much as football, there's simply a far greater need to have the true freshmen ready to compete when they get to campus.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Greer had already "held back" a year.....so graduation this year put him with his birth class.

From a basketball perspective, he gets to practice and train for a full year with a Big Ten team, versus bumpin' around with a high-level hs team. (He got the Big Ten scholly, what else did he want after already playing there a year?)

From an academic perspective, he potentially gets to squeeze in 1-2 years of graduate classes at NU for free if he's around for five.

I think he and family are pretty happy with the decision.

If that was the deal that was offered, then that’s great. He gets a clear shot at a graduate degree and a year to learn how to play college ball. I’m just a little wary given our history with point guards.

This does not stagger our scholarship situation, unless you think that two players in the 2019 recruiting class are also going to redshirt. While that may be the case, I don't necessarily think it's a good thing for the long-term to be redshirting half of your recruiting classes as freshmen (obviously injuries are another story). While I understand NU is a development program in basketball as much as football, there's simply a far greater need to have the true freshmen ready to compete when they get to campus.

That's definitely true at Duke or UK where you might get a kid for only one year or two and you have to get as much out of them as possible. But, redshirting is sure nice if you have a glut at a specific position or just trying to take developmental big men in general. I guess we'll see.

That's definitely true at Duke or UK where you might get a kid for only one year or two and you have to get as much out of them as possible. But, redshirting is sure nice if you have a glut at a specific position or just trying to take developmental big men in general. I guess we'll see.
True and because of the lack of a true lead guard or even back-ups , I would think that Greer will get something like at least 10 minutes a game.

Sending up the Cat Signal to Haywood: are we likely to get more good news tomorrow regarding Maceo Austin?

no info here. really a toss-up for CCC and staff on this one. the 2 final schools are so different the kid either wants to stay home or take advantage of high-level academics and power 5 basketball. it seems cut and dry to assume NU but we will have to wait for the announcement on this one.

If that was the deal that was offered, then that’s great. He gets a clear shot at a graduate degree and a year to learn how to play college ball. I’m just a little wary given our history with point guards.
Our history has been OK with guys like TJ, Juice and BMac but we have been limited by the numbers of true PGs we actually get

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT