ADVERTISEMENT

25 years ago today: Remembering NU 17 ND 15

Thanks, Lou. Great memory. I was with watching it on the Notre Dame network (NBC) at my dad's house. He took me to my first game in 1951 (a win over Pitt) and we had gone to the games for many seasons. He was a longtime Northwestern professor and season ticket holder and I when I took him to a reception for our new coach, Gary Barnett, he told him "we are just happy when we win one quarter" and Gary told him, well you won't need to think like that any more!

Reactions: drewjin
I went to game. The high after the game on the walk back to car (parked at St. Mary's) was incredible. It was a honking caravan the whole drive home as we came across other returning Cat fans.

Reactions: drewjin
One of my all time great memories, and I was able to watch only part of the game.

A friend of mine (from high school AND NU) was getting married that day. As luck would have it, he was marrying an ND grad.

I was watching the game at home as we were getting ready, and I infuriated my date by refusing to leave until the last minute, then I had it on the radio in the car. When we arrived, the wedding was a few minutes from starting and the game a few minutes from ending.

You guessed it, she (who knew neither bride nor groom) went in, unhappily, and I waited in the car for Dave Eanet to confirm the clock hit zero. I jumped out and had the wonderful opportunity to let a ton of ND fans know the final score was 17-15. They were shocked that ND won by so little. My smirk conveyed my happy message.

At the reception I told the groom the score, and we celebrated. We stayed a respectable amount of time at the reception and then I wanted to get back home to watch my recording.

That particular relationship didn’t last long, but the Cats and I still hook up every fall.

" I jumped out and had the wonderful opportunity to let a ton of ND fans know the final score was 17-15. They were shocked that ND won by so little. My smirk conveyed my happy message."

That is classic!

Reactions: zbag51
LouV, give me a ring when you want to write an article remembering the 1975 Michigan game that ended UM-69 NU-0.

Isn’t that the game that landed you on an episode of “The Big Ten’s Best?”

I didn't see the ND game but caught the score at Primanti's in Oakland. The guy next to me turned out to be a former Michigan player I had played against 20 years earlier.

Isn’t that the game that landed you on an episode of “The Big Ten’s Best?”

Yes, "Best RB's of the '70's". I'm visible on two parts of a play featuring Harlan Huckleby for about 2-seconds total. Got decleated only twice on that play.

The wife and I had a chance to go with 2 of my sisters and their husbands, all ND grads. Think we had something in the morning so we passed. Got to watch it all. Was stunned and elated. We lived right by Dyche Stadium and went to meet the busses as they pulled up to the west side of the stadium. Thought there would have been more there, but students weren't back yet. Great times.

One of my all time great memories, and I was able to watch only part of the game.

A friend of mine (from high school AND NU) was getting married that day. As luck would have it, he was marrying an ND grad.

I was watching the game at home as we were getting ready, and I infuriated my date by refusing to leave until the last minute, then I had it on the radio in the car. When we arrived, the wedding was a few minutes from starting and the game a few minutes from ending.

You guessed it, she (who knew neither bride nor groom) went in, unhappily, and I waited in the car for Dave Eanet to confirm the clock hit zero. I jumped out and had the wonderful opportunity to let a ton of ND fans know the final score was 17-15. They were shocked that ND won by so little. My smirk conveyed my happy message.

At the reception I told the groom the score, and we celebrated. We stayed a respectable amount of time at the reception and then I wanted to get back home to watch my recording.

That particular relationship didn’t last long, but the Cats and I still hook up every fall.
Did you ware that NU sweatshirt to the wedding that you now sport each game day? That may have expedited the conclusion of that particular relationship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT