ADVERTISEMENT

#31 in AP

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Preseason polls are completely worthless, but NU garnered enough voted to be 31st, just ahead of Pitt. OSU (2), PSU (6), Wisky (9) and UM (11) are ahead of NU. I find it fascinating that many pundits see NU winning the West over Top 10 Bucky. Time will tell.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

They may be worthless in terms of ranking the actual quality of the team, but they matter. Recruits know about them, their dads know about them. This during a key recruiting period.

Polls matter

Generally starting at 31 is good enough. Start out 3-0 and they might be ranked heading into the Wisconsin game. Start out 4-0, and they're top 20. 5-0 (by beating Penn State next), and I think by then they're top 10. Obviously losing any of those games will destroy that meteoric rise, but once an undefeated Power 5 team is in the top 10, they're close enough that they'll get invited the CFP if they stay undefeated.

Generally starting at 31 is good enough. Start out 3-0 and they might be ranked heading into the Wisconsin game. Start out 4-0, and they're top 20. 5-0 (by beating Penn State next), and I think by then they're top 10. Obviously losing any of those games will destroy that meteoric rise, but once an undefeated Power 5 team is in the top 10, they're close enough that they'll get invited the CFP if they stay undefeated.
So, we just have to go undefeated and win the conference.

I'm good with that.

There's less room for error for a team ranked 31st, but at least there's a shot. How'd you like to go undefeated and not even get a shot?

They may be worthless in terms of ranking the actual quality of the team, but they matter. Recruits know about them, their dads know about them. This during a key recruiting period.

Polls matter
Top 25 means the name of the school runs in the ticker across the bottom of the screen constantly through game day. 26+ means it goes past maybe twice an hour. Yes. They matter.

Top 25 means the name of the school runs in the ticker across the bottom of the screen constantly through game day. 26+ means it goes past maybe twice an hour. Yes. They matter.

What you mean is that top 25 means my Mom could get the score of our games from the ticker at the bottom because she did not have cable, ESPN or the Big Ten network

Stanford now being regularly included in the Top 15 (or even Top 10) of the polls, including the pre-season polls, is very appealing to recruits (they know that they will not only have a shot at the conf. championship just about every year, but the play-offs as well).

Stanford now being regularly included in the Top 15 (or even Top 10) of the polls, including the pre-season polls, is very appealing to recruits (they know that they will not only have a shot at the conf. championship just about every year, but the play-offs as well).
IT'S a big deal.

Northwestern is a Top 25 team.
If the experiment works and we do not lose any games waiting for the O-Line to gel, then NU is a top 25 team.

If the receiving corps gives us at least two quality targets for CT and the O-Line gels, NU is a top 20 team.

If the O-Line gels, the receiving corps steps up, and we get good edge pressure from the DEs and a good steep learning curve from the LBs, NU is a top 15 team.

The running game, the secondary, and the interior D-Line just need to stay away from injuries.

Reactions: SmellyCat

I'd rather NU stay unranked heading into the bye week and then Madison. Win there, and bring on Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT