ADVERTISEMENT

4-2-5 base defense

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
Not sure if anyone noticed at the beginning of the game last Saturday but it appears we are now a base 4-2-5 defense?

I know a lot of teams in today’s era run around 3 WRs as their base offense but thought it was interesting nonetheless. Cant imagine we’ve ever had a base 4-2-5 defense in our past…

Not sure if anyone noticed at the beginning of the game last Saturday but it appears we are now a base 4-2-5 defense?

I know a lot of teams in today’s era run around 3 WRs as their base offense but thought it was interesting nonetheless. Cant imagine we’ve ever had a base 4-2-5 defense in our past…

That look limited Soares time on the field; just 15 snaps as per @mshelton33 analysis.

Think that is more matchup vs true base

Alabama just switched to this same defense post-Saban.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman

We did it a ton last year as well.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Saban has been using the 4-2-5 as a base for years under Saban, he’s one of the pioneers of some of the most advanced ways to utilize it
You mean a base nickel defense? This may be news but nickel defenses have been around forever. The only thing that is new about it is what it is called.

You mean a base nickel defense? This may be news but nickel defenses have been around forever. The only thing that is new about it is what it is called.
Agreed. But what Saban uses as a base isn’t a base nickel. Just as the game has become more spread the different versions of 5 DB defenses and ensuing terminology has also evolved greatly. Some of the most popular trends in this particular defense are Saban-led. The post I responded to implied Bama had suddenly adopted this philosophy following Saban when his Cover 7/matchup/4-2-5 Star stuff has been around for quite awhile and has been a big part of Bama’s success for years.

Also, to clarify: a 4-2-5 and a nickel are not the same thing

Last edited:
Basically required to counter most modern offenses. I’m sure we’ll see more of Soares in the future with the right matchups.
It may have been only the one play I remember right now, but on a third down passing play, NU had Soares lined up as a rushing end (i.e., part of the "4" in the 4-2-5). He was in on the sack on that play.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It may have been only the one play I remember right now, but on a third down passing play, NU had Soares lined up as a rushing end (i.e., part of the "4" in the 4-2-5). He was in on the sack on that play.
Makes sense given he is sort of a hybrid backer/end. At some point whether you call that formation a 4-2-5 with a light rush end or a 3-3-5 comes down to terminology, and maybe line technique.

Agreed. But what Saban uses as a base isn’t a base nickel. Just as the game has become more spread the different versions of 5 DB defenses and ensuing terminology has also evolved greatly. Some of the most popular trends in this particular defense are Saban-led. The post I responded to implied Bama had suddenly adopted this philosophy following Saban when his Cover 7/matchup/4-2-5 Star stuff has been around for quite awhile and has been a big part of Bama’s success for years.

Also, to clarify: a 4-2-5 and a nickel are not the same thing
All I know is that the people watching Alabama say it's a shift. https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2024/2...the-swarm-defense-how-will-it-look-at-alabama

All I know is that the people watching Alabama say it's a shift. https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2024/2...the-swarm-defense-how-will-it-look-at-alabama
As the article cites, the 4-2-5 isn't the new bit, what's different about it is the "swarm" style, which apparently mostly boils down to almost universal use of drop zone style coverages with a particular set of rules and styles. This is, of course, different from Saban's patented zone-match coverage scheme that is truly his own. So very similar base personnel structure, very different scheme tendancies.

Reactions: ricko654321
Re: NU’s defensive strategy

I don’t think it’s unexpected that NU blitzed infrequently. What’s nice is that they still got home for four (?) sacks. Base defense is the best defense.

If this chart were in rank order, NU would be on the bottom row.

We did it a ton last year as well.
If I remember correctly, that transpired over the season and we started playing better.
Most NU fans could see that we really only had 2 good linebackers, with more depth (and some hard hitting guys) in the secondary.

Re: NU’s defensive strategy

I don’t think it’s unexpected that NU blitzed infrequently. What’s nice is that they still got home for four (?) sacks. Base defense is the best defense.

If this chart were in rank order, NU would be on the bottom row.

If you blitz 60% of the time, is that really blitzing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT