ADVERTISEMENT

4 hours in and already 4 of our players bailed

Meh. With the exception of Terah, all graduate transfers who had not seen much, if any, playing time: He'ebert, Rivers, Whittaker, and Blake all leaving with degrees in hand.
5 now.
Im actually ok if half our starters leave as well since they didnt belong. Only about 6 or 7 solid players we need to keep. Everyone else can leave. Maybe we can get some solid "moneyball" recruits

What’s weird is your “told you so” attitude. This is common throughout college football and widely expected. Take a look at the transfer portal. It’s getting longer by the minute.
Its a wonderful thing for players. Lets see how it plays out. Not interested in recycled bench warmers who spent big money on their high school productions to sucker rivals into 5 and 4 star rankings.
No more leftovers. I would prefer fitz take players who were leaders and winners at their position from Toledo than golden 5 star kids were got butthurt. Give me 5 Claires and keep the 5 Hilninski/johnson types.

Its a wonderful thing for players. Lets see how it plays out. Not interested in recycled bench warmers who spent big money on their high school productions to sucker rivals into 5 and 4 star rankings.
No more leftovers. I would prefer fitz take players who were leaders and winners at their position from Toledo than golden 5 star kids were got butthurt. Give me 5 Claires and keep the 5 Hilninski/johnson types.
you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You are crowing "I told you so!" about 5 guys leaving, 4 of which are grad transfers that didn't play much, then you say you don't want "recycled bench warmers". I actually look for a grains of accuracy in your posts, unlike some that have you on auto-criticize, but this is to contradictory even for me. So - tell me Ned oops Turk - did you want these largely bench players to stay or not? Are they better than someone else's "recycled bench warmers"?

If anything, we've gotten too few transfers. Tucker was ahead of the curve and overdid it because he could. Meantime, we were more deliberate, getting a star WR, a good 2nd string back who is coming back, a decent DL, a decent (NCAA record holder) punter for 2 years, someone that should have been 2nd string QB but was forced into duty because of putridness, and a couple of guys that didn't do much of anything. I say, go with volume. Get the guys through admissions and let them fight it out.

you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You are crowing "I told you so!" about 5 guys leaving, 4 of which are grad transfers that didn't play much, then you say you don't want "recycled bench warmers". I actually look for a grains of accuracy in your posts, unlike some that have you on auto-criticize, but this is to contradictory even for me. So - tell me Ned oops Turk - did you want these largely bench players to stay or not? Are they better than someone else's "recycled bench warmers"?

If anything, we've gotten too few transfers. Tucker was ahead of the curve and overdid it because he could. Meantime, we were more deliberate, getting a star WR, a good 2nd string back who is coming back, a decent DL, a decent (NCAA record holder) punter for 2 years, someone that should have been 2nd string QB but was forced into duty because of putridness, and a couple of guys that didn't do much of anything. I say, go with volume. Get the guys through admissions and let them fight it out.
Agee but screw admissions!

He won’t answer your question because it will show how he continues to contradict himself.

Just the start. I told you guys but nobody listened. TzpzoF.
Fans wanna know.
Turk, I enjoy most of your posts, but this is an awful take here.

For the most part, these are guys who will get their degree, and want to transfer somewhere to have a shot to PLAY their final year of football.

We should APPLAUD them for staying and getting their Northwestern degree and wish them best of luck in finding a place to PLAY their last year of football.

Not doing that is petty, childish, and frankly, idiotic.

Better to have the scholarships available.

For the most part, these are guys who will get their degree, and want to transfer somewhere to have a shot to PLAY their final year of football.

We should APPLAUD them for staying and getting their Northwestern degree and wish them best of luck in finding a place to PLAY their last year of football.

Ummmm Edwards, Rivers, Hollis? I these guys don’t fit into your description.

Ummmm Edwards, Rivers, Hollis? I these guys don’t fit into your description.
Wtf Bob. Every team has transfers. The 3 guys you named contributed next to nothing this year. I am not saying they wouldn’t in the future or even that they couldn’t have this year, but if you don’t play you will likely look for other opportunities. The miss here might have been to give them no run at all. However, we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, it possible they aren’t all that great or it’s possible they expressed their intent to leave sometime during the season.

Reactions: StreamCat

I agree. Ill even go a step further, ill wish them the best even if they dont get their degree from here. If I was a player i would run far far away from this awful offense and nasty bad defense and even transfer to UTC if I had to. Being a moccasin isnt a bad thing. Pretty country gals around those parts. Lol

Reactions: olshin
Wtf Bob. Every team has transfers. The 3 guys you named contributed next to nothing this year. I am not saying they wouldn’t in the future or even that they couldn’t have this year, but if you don’t play you will likely look for other opportunities. The miss here might have been to give them no run at all. However, we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, it possible they aren’t all that great or it’s possible they expressed their intent to leave sometime during the season.
Well, if they didn't play here and they end up playing somewhere else, and playing well, it further supports the notion that the coaches are not worthy of the salaries they receive here - since they were clearly not blocked by any spectacular talent this year.

5 now.
Im actually ok if half our starters leave as well since they didnt belong. Only about 6 or 7 solid players we need to keep. Everyone else can leave. Maybe we can get some solid "moneyball" recruits
I love ❤️ Turk! But Fitz ain’t the problem! Money 💰 is the real issue here! We ain’t ever competing with Georgia and Ohio State! Ever!

Well, if they didn't play here and they end up playing somewhere else, and playing well, it further supports the notion that the coaches are not worthy of the salaries they receive here - since they were clearly not blocked by any spectacular talent this year.
One big problem is that fans arent unified against the madness. Just lost another db to the portal. Should we be surprised that 70% of those we lost are on the defensive side? No. This is the exact sorta nightmare we ought to have expected but when the fans are divided, ie., coralsprings and other fitz apologist, against fans like me who put the school and program ahead of a clown, then fitz is being enabled for another disaster.

2019 and 2020 had top 30 defenses. Because of Hankwitz. Comparing 2021 to 2019 and expecting a bounceback is unintelligent when that implies equal weight between JON and Hankwurz.

• Haha
Reactions: Bweiny and IGNORE2
and recruits players that are soft and almost insistent with 2 parent households.

Just saying you need at least a few angry type players that play mean as hell and arent all gentle athletes.
Then how do you explain BYU?

Then how do you explain BYU?
Most byu players go on a 2 year mission trip, right? They may not be as soft. They dont take things for granted. Some are up to 30 years old and family of 5. Lol

Nah, i dont know much about byu but i do know with certainty that next year will be as bad or worse for us. Insanity isnt too difficult to figure out. You take the previous variables and results and do the same math all over again.

I love ❤️ Turk! But Fitz ain’t the problem! Money 💰 is the real issue here! We ain’t ever competing with Georgia and Ohio State! Ever!
Except we have always had the same money - even when we were a good team. In fact, we probably have more money thanks to Mr. Ryan than we did. So, to quote my favorite poster, 'no'

One big problem is that fans arent unified against the madness. Just lost another db to the portal. Should we be surprised that 70% of those we lost are on the defensive side? No. This is the exact sorta nightmare we ought to have expected but when the fans are divided, ie., coralsprings and other fitz apologist, against fans like me who put the school and program ahead of a clown, then fitz is being enabled for another disaster.

2019 and 2020 had top 30 defenses. Because of Hankwitz. Comparing 2021 to 2019 and expecting a bounceback is unintelligent when that implies equal weight between JON and Hankwurz.
I am betting the heat grows considerably if failure spills into next year. And a new AD wants to make a name and reputation for himself is not going to be happy about head coaches that are clearly arrogant, stubborn, entitled and pissing all over his chance to build his resume and legacy.

Reactions: Turk
I am betting the heat grows considerably if failure spills into next year. And a new AD wants to make a name and reputation for himself is not going to be happy about head coaches that are clearly arrogant, stubborn, entitled and pissing all over his chance to build his resume and legacy.
Heat would certainly grow on the coordinators. But on Fitz?

I put TPOF (the probability of firing) at 0%, barring a scandal, even after another poor season.

He is president of the AFCA, runs a clean program, graduates his players, and has done a job many other coaches find impressive, given the constraints of his position.

Plus, this board represents a small sliver of Wildcat fandom. Diehards. The average NU fan is likely unmotivated to see Pat ever get fired, at least while there is still plenty of hope for a turnaround. Not a good look.

I put TPOF (the probability of firing) at 0%, barring a scandal, even after another poor season.

He is president of the AFCA, runs a clean program, graduates his players, and has done a job many other coaches find impressive, given the constraints of his position.

Plus, this board represents a small sliver of Wildcat fandom. Diehards. The average NU fan is likely unmotivated to see Pat ever get fired, at least while there is still plenty of hope for a turnaround. Not a good look.
I agree with most of what you say. But the new AD is his own man. Opportunity to make his own reputation - probably doesn't plan to retire as NU AD decades from now. So if Fitz refuses to make changes, his teams continue to embrace the suck - AND Fitz continues his crappy persona to the media thereby delivering a negative national image of the school (which would probably be my go-to argument if I was AD and wanted to fire him and sought the proper approval) -- well, that is not going make an AD that will be hired away to bigger and better positions. Nor the AD we want.

We want an aggressive, invested, sleeves rolled up and on the sidelines kinda AD that is targeted in every rumor from NFL GM to MLB commissioner and more. Which hopefully is what this AD aspire to become. But not with a loser program run by a dick coach than refuses to answer to anyone. And a terribly underperforming MBB coach to boot with some similar personality deficiencies. Maybe he cans CCC to send message #1, forces PF to fire one or both coordinators to send message #2 and challenges Fitz to take him on. Ok, that is still an AD with some fire and I can get behind that guy too.

If nothing happens after these disastrous seasons, say hello the second coming of the Dark Ages.

Fitz is gone next year if he dumps a big pile of manure on NU again.
Well, since the title of this thread is truthfully about the mass exodus which you claimed was going to happen — which shockingly enough didn’t happen — I’ll bet Fitz will get a good night’s sleep tonight, free of concern.

Despite your cocktail circuit level rumors, TPOF stays at zero.

My uncle ran a clean program at OSU, was the winningest coach in the BIG and still got canned with 6-4-1 record a year after beating Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl the previous year. The question is do NU fans want to take the program to the next level. Seriously, even with Fitz, nobody really thinks NU is all that. NU isn't really on the radar in terms of the Conference and the other BIG fans from the other schools. I totally understand the admiration folks have for him, but if he can't get back on track in say 3 seasons, it is time to get a new HC. Can't let the past hold you back.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Well, since the title of this thread is truthfully about the mass exodus which you claimed was going to happen — which shockingly enough didn’t happen — I’ll bet Fitz will get a good night’s sleep tonight, free of concern.

Despite your cocktail circuit level rumors, TPOF stays at zero.
Lol.
Look, if you want to keep crowning him king then do it, but you are one of the enablers putting him over NU.

Yes, there has been many who left this year and more to come genius.

No, I’m not Coral. I root for the team, not the coaches.

I would have fired JON on Sunday.

I am not putting Fitz on a pedestal, merely commenting on the likelihood of a change at HC. One more bad year wouldn’t be enough to do him in. That is reality, whether that depresses you, or not.

I know that reality kind of isn’t ‘your thing.’

Reactions: Bweiny

Did Bob Groseth have any transfers??

• Haha
Reactions: olshin and IGNORE2
You don’t know shit.

It’s actually 5 players and, if we are being honest, it’s probably good that we have those scholarships to use in recruiting with one exception (Edwards).
I would argue Edwards scholarship might be more valuable than his production in a run defense starving for someone to star.

I would argue Edwards scholarship might be more valuable than his production in a run defense starving for someone to star.

He at least had the requisite size and we are left EXTREMELY thin at DT with his departure plus graduations. Definitely need transfer help at DT.

No, I’m not Coral. I root for the team, not the coaches.

I would have fired JON on Sunday.

I am not putting Fitz on a pedestal, merely commenting on the likelihood of a change at HC. One more bad year wouldn’t be enough to do him in. That is reality, whether that depresses you, or not.

I know that reality kind of isn’t ‘your thing.’
Basing your opinion on his ability to graduate players is simply misplaced and ridiculous. The school template for student/athletics necessarily means high graduation rates. Plug any NU coach and any NU sport....and at any decade, and you will find that what Fitz does is consistent with his predisessor and similar to other NU team sports.
Further, your consistent opinion that there is zero chance (your words, not mine) he gets fired after the 2022 season is not based on modern NU history.
I heard your opinion before regarding Bill Carmody. After 4 straight NIT appearances including 20 win seasons and 19 win seasons and some last second losses, his 2012/2013 sucked and people said he had zero chance of being fired.

Then Phillips whacked him and said that NU expects to be more competitive.
Phillips was a nicer guy than our new AD who whacked one of our current coaches already (genryk).

Fitz gets his get out of jail card this year but not next year.
I hope fitz is fired so we can finally get progress and not just cosmetic upgrades. But not in any case is there zero risk that he gets fired.

Jon/fitz/cattur -1
Turk/data +1

Basing your opinion on his ability to graduate players is simply misplaced and ridiculous. The school template for student/athletics necessarily means high graduation rates. Plug any NU coach and any NU sport....and at any decade, and you will find that what Fitz does is consistent with his predisessor and similar to other NU team sports.
Further, your consistent opinion that there is zero chance (your words, not mine) he gets fired after the 2022 season is not based on modern NU history.
I heard your opinion before regarding Bill Carmody. After 4 straight NIT appearances including 20 win seasons and 19 win seasons and some last second losses, his 2012/2013 sucked and people said he had zero chance of being fired.

Phillips was a nicer guy than our new AD who whacked one of our current coaches already (genryk).

I hope fitz is fired so we can finally get progress and not just cosmetic upgrades. But not in any case is there zero risk that he gets fired.

Jon/fitz/cattur -1
Turk/data +1
Turk you can add me to minus 1. No way he gets fired. Let me qualify that: 2-10 or 1-11 might do it. He's a good bu11sh1tter so may be able do enough excuses to get through that, even. EDIT: we could lose to Southern Illinois. They are in FCS playoffs and earlier thrashed Indiana State. 0-12 is possible

Last edited:
I totally understand the admiration folks have for him, but if he can't get back on track in say 3 seasons, it is time to get a new HC. Can't let the past hold you back.
I think that kind of timeframe is more realistic.

Jon/fitz/cattur -1
Turk/data +1
That is and disrespectful and suppository post. HCBC got to hoops team the NIT, but he never got within spitting distance of a B1GT. (A conference title.) HCPF has. And he is good in bowls.

TPOF (the possibility of failure) was very high with him. And anyway. They got rid of him, and now look! Maybe someday we can get back to the NIT. Or even beat Providence.

Also…neat! We are keeping score in this farcical debate? I have to warn you, each of my typing hands is a future Micheal Jordan. and I’ve got two of them!

You said, “Further, your consistent opinion that there is zero chance (your words, not mine).” But those weren’t my words! I said “TPOF stays at zero.” I thank you to quote me with greater accuracy in the future.

You said, “Basing your opinion on his ability to graduate players is simply misplaced and ridiculous.” I’m pretty sure I haven’t been misplaced, and I’m quite sure that my opinion is irrelevant. I’m telling you what important people think, not what I think. My buddy Flanders is like ‘this’ with the trustees. Well, you would know that was a good, close relationship, if you could see my Jordanesque fingers intertwining.

I say Fitz could go 3-8 next year, and he would remain our coach, though I couldn’t see either coordinator being given another shot after that. But I think next season will be a bit better, maybe .500, and the Cats will be quite competitive again in 2023.

And even if the Cats put two bad years together in a row, the program would survive. It might not be much fun, but it would not end the world.

-cattur (which doesn’t make sense…clattur might have been funnier. Like “Turd” or “Truk.”)

I’m telling you, the departures of JP and Marty may be the worst news and best thing for PF. Nobody can say where the new prez values athletics but can’t be more than Marty. Therefore can’t hold as much value for PF as Marty. Only question is what if any.

The new AD haS to earn his own reputation. JP didn’t even sweat the vassar situation because he built his own legacy. Oh, and he was recruited away to be a conference commissioner, his predecessor became an nfl gm.

With loser football and MBB teams, arrogant and flawed head coaches, the AD is one scandal away from being fired, not on a path to follow his predecessors. If he is hungry, he won’t give PF a long leash - his career depends on it. And PFs media demeanor plus new prez provides a path to squeeze PF out.

If PF continues his dickish media ways AND NU FB continues to embrace the suck, I can see PF in street clothes after the season and looking for a job. Hope all those friends have his back too.

If PF continues his dickish media ways AND NU FB continues to embrace the suck, I can see PF in street clothes after the season and looking for a job. Hope all those friends have his back too.
Thing is, if you watch the press conferences, Fitz tends to get along quite well with the national media.

He doesn’t like: us (Twitter bums)…and sniping student journalists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT