ADVERTISEMENT

7,039 > 6,800

Or we could continue finding things to complain about. Right on character.

I saw your post on the other board questioning whether people would stop complaining now and thought, "He has to know better than this."

Or we could continue finding things to complain about. Right on character.
Wait until next season, after the Cats make it to the final 4 and the additional five or ten thousand new fans start complaining because they can's get into the new, smaller W-R.

The idea is to have season tickets sell out the place because of demand and make it a true home court advantage. Huge arenas like Allstate leave people to "pick and choose" single games, leaving you at the mercy of a lot of factors. Big state schools need to win to fill bigger arenas even with huge student bodies and being the only game in town, and when they don't you still can get a home court nonatmosphere like Penn State's.

Reactions: thewildcat2011
When they sell season tickets for the new WR they need to put some language into the contract for the corporate buyers that allows the school to fill an unoccupied seat 5 minutes into the game.

Willy, despite your reluctance, I'm tellin' ya, you're gonna love the new place.

you just don't get it, do you?
At no point in the modern history (let's call it the "TV era") of college hoops has there ever been enough demand to justify the added expense of building a 10,000+ arena for Northwestern basketball. That's just a fact.

Hell, there wasn't even enough demand to consistently sell out WR at 8,000 capacity last year (aka the best year of Northwestern basketball in the TV era).

Why in the world would NU undergo the headache and cost of constructing a 10,000+ arena (in Evanston of all of places???) to have it be 75% full AT BEST?

And if, by some astounding miracle, NU hoops starts driving enough demand to where a 7,000 seat arena is consistently being sold out and full of purple-clad fans to where people are actually being priced out, then many, many, many good things would have preceded that and i don't think any of us would be complaining.

Last edited:
At no point in the modern history (let's call it the "TV era") of college hoops has there ever been enough demand to justify the added expense of building a 10,000+ arena for Northwestern basketball. That's just a fact.

Hell, there wasn't even enough demand to consistently sell out WR at 8,000 capacity last year (aka the best year of Northwestern basketball in the TV era).

Why in the world would NU undergo the headache and cost of constructing a 10,000+ arena (in Evanston of all of places???) to have it be 75% full AT BEST?

And if, by some astounding miracle, NU hoops starts driving enough demand to where a 7,000 seat arena is consistently being sold out and full of purple-clad fans to where people are actually being priced out, then many, many, many good things would have preceded that and i don't think any of us would be complaining.
While all of that may be true, NU used to draw many crowds of close to 10,000 in McGaw Hall. Was at a game back in the 1957 when NU hosted Kansas and some guy known as "Wilt the Stilt" before a standing room only crowd of about 10,000 and I still have the program. They also played home games against Kentucky and ND in front of crowds close to that size. I know, I know that was before almost every game was televised but just saying, those kind of crowds did happen. Guess you consider it odd that DePaul just built a new 10,000 seat arena but someone must of thought it was a good idea. Guess if they consistently fill W-R and their his lots of hype and demand for more tickets, they could move some games to UC or that new DePaul place..

While all of that may be true, NU used to draw many crowds of close to 10,000 in McGaw Hall. Was at a game back in the 1957 when NU hosted Kansas and some guy known as "Wilt the Stilt" before a standing room only crowd of about 10,000 and I still have the program. They also played home games against Kentucky and ND in front of crowds close to that size. I know, I know that was before almost every game was televised but just saying, those kind of crowds did happen. Guess you consider it odd that DePaul just built a new 10,000 seat arena but someone must of thought it was a good idea. Guess if they consistently fill W-R and their his lots of hype and demand for more tickets, they could move some games to UC or that new DePaul place..

You'll have to let go of what happened in 1957, unfortunately.

I do consider it odd, and I'm sure DePaul will not be regularly selling out that arena. I'm assuming the people that thought it was a good idea are currently counting their (dirty?) $$$, regardless of whether Wintrust will actually be successful. It was also heavily financed with public dollars, as you like to point out, which would never happen in Evanston. It also doubles as an event center connected to McCormick Place, which adds a consideration toward increased capacity.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
General seating is 5,950, basically 6,000 exactly. They allowed 250 for handicap, 750 for students, and 250 for luge attendance. So total seating is just over 7,000. But it's fire marshall approved for 8,000.
The definitions of what 8,000 means is beyond me but dont get hung up on cold hard numbers because it most certainly would involve standing room only.
Yes, sro. Because ALL tickets will be spoken for with all seats sold through the jointhecats. Any cheap boosters like willycat will be left out.

General seating is 5,950, basically 6,000 exactly. They allowed 250 for handicap, 750 for students, and 250 for luge attendance. So total seating is just over 7,000. But it's fire marshall approved for 8,000.
The definitions of what 8,000 means is beyond me but dont get hung up on cold hard numbers because it most certainly would involve standing room only.
Yes, sro. Because ALL tickets will be spoken for with all seats sold through the jointhecats. Any cheap boosters like willycat will be left out.

That was pretty much comprehensible, barely even English. Dare I say, it seems almost... Turkish.

Now try and explain what you just typed. Oh and go to hell!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT