ADVERTISEMENT

A Blessing in Disguise

jne381

Sep 2, 2013
As much as I am disheartened by the current events, I wonder if this could potentially be a blessing in disguise. I am not going to rail about the results of the last two seasons, and how the game passed Fitz by (I don't know if that is the case), but to discuss how hopefully these events will lead to the University understanding the need for a strong and consistent "Program."

As much as I appreciate what Fitz had done for the success of NU Football, success hinged on that one person being at the helm. We can see the results with the cries of doom and gloom that so many are making on these boards for future expectations of the team. So many are planning on a "New Dark Ages."

I hope the years of success has proven to those in charge that strong athletics are important for a university, even one like Northwestern. It gives us alum a way to stay connected to the school when we get to see our team doing well in sports every week. That connection encourages us to donate to the University, even beyond athletics. With that, I hope those in charge do not basically resign NU from trying to complete in football, and instead increase support for the football team.

A team like Wisconsin can replace their coach every few years, and you can barely see a difference on the field. That team has institutional consistency. That is something Northwestern has to build towards. They do not need a superstar head coach. Of course they will need a very good coach, but they will need to support that person with adequate salaries for the entire staff to make NU just as desirable a place to work as any other Big Ten school, and find any number of ways to make the program about the school's commitment to the program, instead of the leadership of one person.

I admit that I was not optimistic heading into this season; praying for maybe six wins (and would have choked down five), but wasn't much promise in Portal recruiting, our response to NIL, etc. Fitz was perhaps showing signs we see in anyone who has occupied a job for as long as he had - asleep at the wheel on some things, set in his ways, inherently and self-destructively defensive towards criticism, etc. I might argue that's how he let the hazing stuff get away from him - it all just blended in with the scenery.

But honestly, while Fitz was a part of my concern, it wasn't him alone - I fear that NU is not well-equipped to deal with this new era of college football (specifically the NIL impact), and I'm not sure where that leaves us, especially given our current leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT