ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA nails FSU for NIL violations

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Wow. The NCAA still has a lot of power:

The NCAA on Thursday announced significant penalties for the Florida State football team -- including two years' probation and disassociating with its NIL collective for one season -- for violating rules on using name, image and likeness offers as a recruiting inducement.

In addition, an FSU assistant coach, which sources confirmed to ESPN as offensive coordinator Alex Atkins, was suspended three games for his involvement. The university also must disassociate with a specific booster for three years.

Those penalties mark the first time the NCAA has severed the relationship between a school and its NIL collective as part of an infractions case. It also is the first time the NCAA has punished a school, coach or collective for using NIL as an inducement.

The NCAA didn't identify Atkins by name, but it said that the assistant coach drove a prospect to a meeting with the head of the program's most prominent NIL collective during the prospect's official visit to campus. At the meeting, the booster offered the prospect $15,000 per month and encouraged him to play for the Seminoles.

The prospect, who was not named by the NCAA but was reported by The Associated Press to be Georgia offensive tackle Amarius Mims, removed his name from the transfer portal shortly after the meeting and remained at his previous school.

Investigators didn't find that head coach Mike Norvell had committed any violations.

Yahoo Sports, who first identified Atkins, also reported that the booster involved was one of the leaders of Florida State's Rising Spear collective.

NCAA rules prohibit boosters from using the promise of NIL deals as an incentive to try to convince a prospect to attend or transfer to a particular school.

Other penalties that Florida State agreed to include two years' probation, the loss of five scholarships over two years, a $5,000 fine and several recruiting restrictions that include losing seven official visits, a six-week reduction in recruiting communications time and 24 fewer in-person recruiting days during the current academic year.

The penalties are considered Level II violations by the NCAA, which are major infractions but not as serious as Level I violations.

"We are pleased to reach closure to this situation and view this as another step in strengthening our culture of compliance at Florida State University," FSU athletic director Michael Alford said in a statement. "We take all compliance matters very seriously, and our full cooperation with the NCAA on this case is a clear example of that commitment. We remain committed to compliance with all NCAA rules including disassociation of the booster and the collective."

“Driving the recruit to a booster meeting for a legal NIL deal” is the new “can’t have cream cheese with your bagels when it’s a snack.”

The NCAA is cute.

(Oh man, and the inducement didn’t even work! I’m assuming UGA paid more.)

ESPN and the ACC out to get FSU….
EXACTLY!! Let’s not be mistaken here (and I am most definitely not an FSU fan), but this is 100% political. The NCAA is pissed off with how FSU responded to the snubbing, so they’re getting punished even more. D1 athletics is basically just a more corrupt version of professional sports. Rules and discipline are subjective to who you are.

Reactions: 2388bb
I'm confused. I thought there were no rules anymore.
There’s only rules if the NCAA has a beef with you. They literally could do the same thing to 95% of D1 schools if they chose to. When dealing with the NCAA, stay on their good side and know your place!

There’s only rules if the NCAA has a beef with you. They literally could do the same thing to 95% of D1 schools if they chose to. When dealing with the NCAA, stay on their good side and know your place!
But why does the NCAA care about FSU complaining about being snubbed? The NCAA doesn't run the playoff; I'm not sure why they would care.

But why does the NCAA care about FSU complaining about being snubbed? The NCAA doesn't run the playoff; I'm not sure why they would care.
They didn’t appreciate the bad-mouthing, and since they’re not in the the SEC, which we can all agree is NCAA’s biggest money train along with the B1G, they are second tier and have no authority to question the almighty NCAA. It’s very petty, especially considering the National Champion was caught cheating and faced almost no discipline. And take a look at the “infractions”! Driving a player to practice? WTH!?

Reactions: 2388bb
They didn’t appreciate the bad-mouthing, and since they’re not in the the SEC, which we can all agree is NCAA’s biggest money train along with the B1G, they are second tier and have no authority to question the almighty NCAA. It’s very petty, especially considering the National Champion was caught cheating and faced almost no discipline. And take a look at the “infractions”! Driving a player to practice? WTH!?
It's so blatant it's gross.

More gross: I'm...on...FSU's side?

FSU should leak stories on what is really going on with NIL. I am confident they know lots of dirt. Payback. Driving a player in a car? Other programs are leaving the keys in the Mercedes for the kid.

FSU should leak stories on what is really going on with NIL. I am confident they know lots of dirt. Payback. Driving a player in a car? Other programs are leaving the keys in the Mercedes for the kid.
From the way I read it, it was the driving to the booster that was the issue. If they just leave a Mercedes with the keys as a signing bonus, it may be kosher.

Reactions: NUCat320
EXACTLY!! Let’s not be mistaken here (and I am most definitely not an FSU fan), but this is 100% political. The NCAA is pissed off with how FSU responded to the snubbing, so they’re getting punished even more. D1 athletics is basically just a more corrupt version of professional sports. Rules and discipline are subjective to who you are.
Lot of this going on the last couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT