ADVERTISEMENT

A different take on yesterday....symptom vs cause

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
I have concerns like everybody else around here's does, but I think the may be a bit different than the mainstream thinking. I'm less frustrated with the OLine and DLine. Fitz et al were pretty conservative yesterday, especially in H1. They had no ability to prepare for Nevada. It looked to me as if Hank had the D Line play less aggressively. At the end, when they only rushed three and went all out, they had no difficulty getting to the QB.

It also was a challenge for the O Line in that they had minimal ability to plan for the 3 3 5. McCall was being equally conservative in H1. Quite frankly I think the NU coaches did an excellent job at halftime in making adjustments that allowed for better and more aggressive playing in H2.

My concerns are different.
- When Nev played the run blitz, they knew which gap to hit almost every time. NU must be telegraphing.
- The linebackers had difficulty with over committing. Position discipline is an issue.
- Thorson and Brown were way out of sync. Not sure whose fault it was, but IMO it is an issue that needs to be corrected.
- Flynn Nagle needs a lot of practice catching the ball.
- The secondary injuries are scary.

Reactions: loyolacat
I have concerns like everybody else around here's does, but I think the may be a bit different than the mainstream thinking. I'm less frustrated with the OLine and DLine. Fitz et al were pretty conservative yesterday, especially in H1. They had no ability to prepare for Nevada. It looked to me as if Hank had the D Line play less aggressively. At the end, when they only rushed three and went all out, they had no difficulty getting to the QB.

It also was a challenge for the O Line in that they had minimal ability to plan for the 3 3 5. McCall was being equally conservative in H1. Quite frankly I think the NU coaches did an excellent job at halftime in making adjustments that allowed for better and more aggressive playing in H2.

-When Nev played the run blitz, they knew which gap to hit almost every time. NU must be telegraphing.
- The linebackers had difficulty with over committing. Position discipline is an issue.
- Thorson and Brown were way out of sync. Not sure whose fault it was, but IMO it is an issue that needs to be corrected.

Remember the stat about how Nagel had the lowest drop rate in the B1G last year?

Let's not make two tough drops, particularly the first one, more than they need to be.

Totally agree with the halftime adjustments. And Thorsons passing was awesome. That should make JJTBC more effective. Overall I have confidence.

I thought this point was clear. Nagle needs practice cathching the ball.

And I'm saying you're overblowing two ill-timed drops (not sure I would even call the first a true "drop" and the second one was a touch high as well) out of a guy who's proven he has pretty sure hands.

- When Nev played the run blitz, they knew which gap to hit almost every time. NU must be telegraphing.

Your "Nagle" comment is ridiculous. He and Wilson are the most sure-handed receivers on our squad. You need to practice your spelling.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
Did Lees get back in the game after he got the blocking in the back penalty? I hope he plays more for us. He is going to be very good at wr for us.

"Nagel needs practice catching the ball." OMG this board is ridiculous. Or hilarious. I can't make up my mind.

"Nagel needs practice catching the ball." OMG this board is ridiculous. Or hilarious. I can't make up my mind.

Ok. No practice. Just catch the damn ball. Two passes through his hands, one an easy TD catch one a near TD catch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT