ADVERTISEMENT

A few snippets from NU Media Day

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
- With Sean McEvilly retired and Greg Kuhar and Tyler Lancaster coming off of injuries, you might think Fitz would be worried about the DL. To the contrary, he is confident about the group. “We’ve got plenty of answers up there.” They haven’t had McEvilly for two years, so they have contingency plans, including teaching different guys different positions. “I feel great about that group…I want this group’s attitude to take over the team.”

- Traveon Henry thinks the secondary can be “the best in the nation.” Matthew Harris says “the sky is the limit” for that group. Both talked about the great chemistry and trust all the DBs have in each other. Henry has slimmed down to about 210 pounds from a high of 225 in an effort to improve his coverage skills. He said he feels much faster.

- Geoff Mogus still feels good about the chemistry of the OL, despite losing Matt Frazier (staph infection) and the uncertainty of positions. Even though they are playing different positions, they are still the same guys. Right now, the first OL from left to right is Mogus, Shane Mertz, Brad North, Ian Park and Eric Olson. Adding depth at tackle are Tommy Doles on the left and Blake Hance on the right.

- Fitz feels great about his team’s chemistry and praised his players’ effort during the offseason. They set more than 300 personal records in the weight room. As a team, he said the Cats gained 410 pounds and lost 369 pounds of fat. “And that’s just in the coaching staff,” he quipped.

Much more to come from WildcatReport…

Henry has slimmed down to about 210 pounds from a high of 225 in an effort to improve his coverage skills. He said he feels much faster.

I like this a lot. He seemed like he had gotten a little big for a DB. He might not quite pack as much of a punch at 210, but his ability to hit has never been in question!

- With Sean McEvilly retired and Greg Kuhar and Tyler Lancaster coming off of injuries, you might think Fitz would be worried about the DL. To the contrary, he is confident about the group. “We’ve got plenty of answers up there.” They haven’t had McEvilly for two years, so they have contingency plans, including teaching different guys different positions. “I feel great about that group…I want this group’s attitude to take over the team.”

- Traveon Henry thinks the secondary can be “the best in the nation.” Matthew Harris says “the sky is the limit” for that group. Both talked about the great chemistry and trust all the DBs have in each other. Henry has slimmed down to about 210 pounds from a high of 225 in an effort to improve his coverage skills. He said he feels much faster.

- Geoff Mogus still feels good about the chemistry of the OL, despite losing Matt Frazier (staph infection) and the uncertainty of positions. Even though they are playing different positions, they are still the same guys. Right now, the first OL from left to right is Mogus, Shane Mertz, Brad North, Ian Park and Eric Olson. Adding depth at tackle are Tommy Doles on the left and Blake Hance on the right.

- Fitz feels great about his team’s chemistry and praised his players’ effort during the offseason. They set more than 300 personal records in the weight room. As a team, he said the Cats gained 410 pounds and lost 369 pounds of fat. “And that’s just in the coaching staff,” he quipped.

Much more to come from WildcatReport…

Very impressive press conference today. Fitz was very upbeat and professional. Was pretty blunt when asked about whether he would be tougher on the players this year, after having had the team leaders ask him to be tougher last season. He said last years issue was because of the immaturity on the team, guys went from having fun to clowning around and they needed to take it more seriously. Doesn't sound like that is an issue right now although he did admit he needed to nip some maturity issues in the bud in the spring. Also repeated that last fall injuries just killed players getting practice reps, that they really weren't healthy until Big 10 season started.

I really liked what I saw and heard from Pat today.

Reactions: bobotompa
Do we know if Kuhar will be ready to play for the season opener?

I have a feeling Lowry will be seeing a lot of playing time at the interior of the line in the early part of the season.

I have a feeling Lowry will be seeing a lot of playing time at the interior of the line in the early part of the season.

Pat said not to read too much into who's playing right now. A lot can happen in the next 3 weeks, good and bad.

Anyone who is not on the injury list, is "probable" or better for Stanford. So I assume he will be a go barring any setback.

That's right, I guess Fitz did say that. Kuhar was having a good season until his injury and hope he can continue his trajectory to play at a high level this year.

Very impressive press conference today. Fitz was very upbeat and professional. Was pretty blunt when asked about whether he would be tougher on the players this year, after having had the team leaders ask him to be tougher last season. He said last years issue was because of the immaturity on the team, guys went from having fun to clowning around and they needed to take it more seriously. Doesn't sound like that is an issue right now although he did admit he needed to nip some maturity issues in the bud in the spring. Also repeated that last fall injuries just killed players getting practice reps, that they really weren't healthy until Big 10 season started.

I really liked what I saw and heard from Pat today.
Totally agree; I think this was as good a press conference as I have seen by any college coach in recent years. Useful answers; upbeat but not a bunch of BS. I hope potential recruits take the time to watch this - I think it gives a good picture of the program and HC.

Have to say, Fitz seemed far more optimistic than at any point last season. I may need to re-think my 6-6 prediction. We do have good depth at most positions, the obvious question mark is the OL and inexperience at QB. We get decent play there and may put a little more purple kool aid in my glass!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT