ADVERTISEMENT

A View of the Foundation Work on the New Ryan Field

GoUPurple

May 29, 2001
www.hailtopurple.com
Some of the Ryan Field engineers gave a site tour last Thursday, showing off the work on the new stadium's foundations. Here is a brief view of the current site.

I have been asked to remove this post, and I am complying with that request. I will try to regain permission to post this material.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So the "doughnut" is a huge underground drainage ditch. That definitely would have to exist. I would think the water table is alot higher in Evanston than in Ann Arbor. Ryan II is going to be gorgeous! Now I can't wait til 2026 and hopefully score me some tickets!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Some of the Ryan Field engineers gave a site tour last Thursday, showing off the work on the new stadium's foundations. Here is a brief view of the current site.

Ryan Field II Foundation Update

This is terrific. Thanks so much for sharing. Has there been any thought to adding a live construction cam where progress can be viewed in real-time?

I found interesting the mention of boulders being removed during the installation of the cassions and anchors. I would have assumed that the soil is mainly sand, but the Ice Age must have left a significant glacial moraine (Ridge St) with lots of boulders all around.

Reactions: GoUPurple
This is terrific. Thanks so much for sharing. Has there been any thought to adding a live construction cam where progress can be viewed in real-time?
Re: live cam-- I asked this during demolition. A well-connected source told me that the crew was about to install one. However, it never happened. I suspect there might be a legal issue, maybe liability or union-based. Not sure.

Reactions: zeek55
I found interesting the mention of boulders being removed during the installation of the cassions and anchors. I would have assumed that the soil is mainly sand, but the Ice Age must have left a significant glacial moraine (Ridge St) with lots of boulders all around.
The crews expected a couple of boulders from the ridge, but they were surprised at the extent. This map shows just the east side. They updated it a few days before the tour; it was already out of date by Thursday. Crews had already encountered several more by then.

Boulder Map of Ryan Field East Property
(Rivals will not allow me to show the image directly-- I must link to it)

Reactions: zeek55
All of this shows just how expansive this project is and why a renovation wouldn't have been able to achieve what they're trying to do with this.

This will be the first college specific NFL quality stadium, a really unique gem in CFB.

I hadn't even considered that the field was going to be that far below street level until you provided all of this information.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT