ADVERTISEMENT

A visitor’s experience

May 16, 2023
We made the trip to Evanston for the Penn State game this past weekend.

TL;DR Very nice campus. Awesome Lake views. Expected more team support/spirit. Loved the N Zone concept and easy access to the stadium.

Here’s my writeup of our visit.

That’s an impressive write-up. Thanks for visiting Evanston and sharing your experience! Go Cats!!!

We made the trip to Evanston for the Penn State game this past weekend.

TL;DR Very nice campus. Awesome Lake views. Expected more team support/spirit. Loved the N Zone concept and easy access to the stadium.

Here’s my writeup of our visit.

The lack of attendance/support is nothing new, though perhaps suppressed even further by the Fitz situation (plus just being, ya know… bad for a couple seasons).

It is always hilarious to me listening to our Ryan Field neighbors in opposition of the rebuild voicing their complaints to the Village. The last two home games I attended were a 6:30 PM night conference game and a 11:00 AM morning conference game. In both instances we were able to drive down 6th street/Eastwood (the north/south street immediately west of the stadium) about an hour and a half before kickoff pretty much completely unobstructed. The noise levels were pretty much negligible and the parking lots MAAYYYBBBEEEEE two-thirds full at kickoff. The Evanston residents have NO IDEA how impactful most B1G games are on the surrounding areas, yet like complaining to high heavens.

Last edited:
The lack of attendance/support is nothing new, though perhaps suppressed even further by the Fitz situation (plus just being, ya know… bad for a couple seasons).

It is always hilarious to me listening to our Ryan Field neighbors in opposition of the rebuild voicing their complaints to the Village. The last two home games I attended were a 6:30 PM night conference game and a 11:00 AM morning conference game. In both instances we were able to drive down 6th street/Eastwood (the north/south street immediately west of the stadium) about an hour and a half before kickoff pretty much completely unobstructed. The noise levels were pretty much negligible and the Peking lots MAAYYYBBBEEEEE two-thirds full at kickoff. The Evanston residents have NO IDEA how impactful most B1G games are on the surrounding areas, yet like complaining to high heavens.
Plus they moved into a neighborhood that had a 45,000 seat capacity stadium built almost 100 years ago.

Last edited:
As a former Central St resident, NU STH and a 30 year Cat by marriage, was amazed how few in the neighborhood gave a shit about NU athletics, but always had a constant bitch about the “crowds” (all 25,000-35,000 pre-‘95) 6 times/year. It was like they didn’t see the Stadium in plain view before they moved in. I loved our time on Central, in part, due to being close to Big 10 football and hoops.

As a former Central St resident, NU STH and a 30 year Cat by marriage, was amazed how few in the neighborhood gave a shit about NU athletics, but always had a constant bitch about the “crowds” (all 25,000-35,000 pre-‘95) 6 times/year. It was like they didn’t see the Stadium in plain view before they moved in. I loved our time on Central, in part, due to being close to Big 10 football and hoops.
If I ever move back to Chicago I’m buying a place up near Central and going to every football and basketball game possible.

Nicely done.

That shoe salesman was a doof, though he had a lot of people on this board fooled.

It’s been two years of baaaaad football on campus, and a COVID year before that. So, while NU has always struggled to maintain student enthusiasm, there’s a particularly uphill battle currently. The win over Minnesota two weeks ago was the (edit) second conference win with fans in attendance since November 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wandering Spectator
Nicely done.

That shoe salesman was a doof, though he had a lot of people on this board fooled.

It’s been two years of baaaaad football on campus, and a COVID year before that. So, while NU has always struggled to maintain student enthusiasm, there’s a particularly uphill battle currently. The win over Minnesota two weeks ago was the first conference win with fans in attendance since November 2018.
*Rutgers 2021.

• Love
Reactions: FeralFelidae
If I ever move back to Chicago I’m buying a place up near Central and going to every football and basketball game possible.

Good luck. My wife and I were planning to do that 6-7 years ago, but every place we looked at in that neighborhood was grossly overpriced ("That's not a third bedroom, it's a closet!"). And I get it, in addition to NU sports, there's restaurants, shops, public transportation, schools, parks, and easy access to the beach, downtown Evanston, and downtown Wilmette. It's a very nice location. We ended up nearby.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT