ADVERTISEMENT

ACC finalizing deal to Hire Phillips as commissioner

Interesting. I have only heard go things about him and what he was able to do at NU. I was happy when he did not take the Big Ten job to stay at NU. However, I would have rather seen him become Big Ten Commish than to lose him to the ACC. I hope whomever they bring in will have a good relationship with Fitz.

Reactions: mikero3
Sounds like he was never offered the BIG job.
No he wasn't. At last minute Big Ten Presidents decided on Warren when Phillips had been the consensus guy all along for the job for the past few years. It was an awful decison since Warren had zero experience in college athletic administration. His resume pointed towards president of an NFL team or even an entry level AD's job at a rest of 5 conference to start. In no way should he have been hired with that resume for the B1G comissioners position. Who in the heck came up with him is mind boggling but giving him the job even more so

giphy.gif

Congratulations to Mr. Phillips! He was a great AD, and Northwestern Athletics is at a much better place than it was when he took the job.

Unfortunately, Northwestern will need to hire another great AD because there is a lot of substantial decisions/actions to potentially be made in the near future.

1. I don't expect Coach Collins to be run out of town, but if the basketball program doesn't make a turn before his contract comes close to its end, I imagine the next AD will need to fill that position.

2. I have to imagine a new stadium is somewhere in the horizon ( I am betting on 2026, 100 years for the old stadium has a nice symmetry to it), and the fund raising for that has to be monstrous, if it isn't completed already.

3. There is always the possibility of Coach Fitz taking the Bears job. That would be another huge hire for a new AD.

Congratulations to Mr. Phillips! He was a great AD, and Northwestern Athletics is at a much better place than it was when he took the job.

Unfortunately, Northwestern will need to hire another great AD because there is a lot of substantial decisions/actions to potentially be made in the near future.

1. I don't expect Coach Collins to be run out of town, but if the basketball program doesn't make a turn before his contract comes close to its end, I imagine the next AD will need to fill that position.

2. I have to imagine a new stadium is somewhere in the horizon ( I am betting on 2026, 100 years for the old stadium has a nice symmetry to it), and the fund raising for that has to be monstrous, if it isn't completed already.

3. There is always the possibility of Coach Fitz taking the Bears job. That would be another huge hire for a new AD.
Ballpark what do you estimate the new stadium would cost?

Ludicrous. How can you justify that kind of money for a place used 6 or 7 times a year.

It doesn't have to be used only 6 or 7 times a year! Get field turf like every other school in America and you can use it for more events. Concerts, Highscool football games and whatever the hell you want to put there that the dopes in Evanston will allow.

The field turf used today has the same injury rate as grass and is actually lower when the weather is bad. Most high schools have it and the players are use to it.

Ludicrous. How can you justify that kind of money for a place used 6 or 7 times a year.

It is a problem that it is used so infrequently, however, the University should start negotiating with Evanston for the ability to use a new facility for several more events during the year, primarily the Summer.

It would be very nice to host big concerts in the Summer. The City of Evanston is currently looking at major budget shortfalls because of COVID, and residents may see why having vibrant college community there, that has large events, is actually quite beneficial to them, despite the inconvenience it may cause every once in a while.

Evanston projects $12 million shortfall in 2020

As Evanston stares down major budget deficit, the town’s financial ties to Northwestern University become even more apparent

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I'd assume if they're spending $300+ million there will be all sorts of offices and other space built into it for multi-use, not just gameday use.

But yeah, it's up to donors. The big donors know it's the last mega sports project on campus for a long time. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Nearly everything else has already been renovated/redone for sports.

I'd assume if they're spending $300+ million there will be all sorts of offices and other space built into it for multi-use, not just gameday use.

But yeah, it's up to donors. The big donors know it's the last mega sports project on campus for a long time. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Nearly everything else has already been renovated/redone for sports.

Notre Dame's stadium renovation cost $400 million. This included buildings attached to the structure with three-quarters of the space dedicated to nonathletic purposes, including classrooms, career services and a new state-of-the-art recreational center. There’s also a media center, a performance hall, and a music library. The attached buildings also incorporate skyboxes which look into the stadium. Now if NU does something like this it is well worth the $

Reactions: zeek55
Notre Dame's stadium renovation cost $400 million. This included buildings attached to the structure with three-quarters of the space dedicated to nonathletic purposes, including classrooms, career services and a new state-of-the-art recreational center. There’s also a media center, a performance hall, and a music library. The attached buildings also incorporate skyboxes which look into the stadium. Now if NU does something like this it is well worth the $
Yes exactly. If the price tag is at that level ($300-400 million) then presumably there will be much more than just a football field and seats/food areas.

I'd imagine that any design would maximize the space to also provide for many other uses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT