ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Storr

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
Twitter reports

Storr asked Kansas for 1m. Kansas offered 750k. Storr said no.

This is getting crazy.

Reactions: NJCat
Pay Me GIF

What’s crazy about that?
Agreed. He’s a good player. And this is a free market economy. He’s worth what someone is willing to pay him. Until there are rules put in place, I would ask for as much as I thought I could get. Why wouldn’t you? It’s a multibillion dollar business.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Agreed. He’s a good player. And this is a free market economy. He’s worth what someone is willing to pay him. Until there are rules put in place, I would ask for as much as I thought I could get. Why wouldn’t you? It’s a multibillion dollar business.
I don’t think anyone is objecting to Storr or anyone else getting paid. I think what folks are reacting to is finding the amounts higher than they expected.

I don’t think anyone is objecting to Storr or anyone else getting paid. I think what folks are reacting to is finding the amounts higher than they expected.
People are still shocked by $1 million? I’m not sure if Storr is worth it - he’s a good player but he’s selfish, isn’t going to single handedly lift a team to high heights, and isn’t going to build culture - but we’ve been doing this NIL thing for several years now and people are STILL shocked by a modest number like one million? Quinn Ewers got a milly from OSU like three years ago!

I’m curious if he ends up a loser on this and should have just taken the $750k form Kansas, though. But that’s his decision. Freedom to make your own decisions and risk being a fool.

Need some version of a salary cap. All the income is supposed to be disclosable. Make a condition to play in NCAA that you must make financial disclosures and cannot accept any new contracts once seasons begin. Every team can have as many schollie athletes as they want but those athletes total earnings cannot exceed $X.

Athletes get paid and some level of competitive remains. There will be cheaters. There are always cheaters. Level heavy penalties for getting caught and play to the 99% that will largely comply.

Need some version of a salary cap. All the income is supposed to be disclosable. Make a condition to play in NCAA that you must make financial disclosures and cannot accept any new contracts once seasons begin. Every team can have as many schollie athletes as they want but those athletes total earnings cannot exceed $X.

Athletes get paid and some level of competitive remains. There will be cheaters. There are always cheaters. Level heavy penalties for getting caught and play to the 99% that will largely comply.
Taking this further, make the cap of the reflection of the average compensation of same sport starters across the power conferences from the prior year - that way no one argue the ncaa is limiting compensation. You can still have a guy getting a zillion - he simply has to be surrounded by guys getting nothing.

Isn't that all a reason to support unionizing efforts? I am genuinely asking as I'm ignorant but believe things like that only come through negotiations with a players' union?

Reactions: IGNORE2
Isn't that all a reason to support unionizing efforts? I am genuinely asking as I'm ignorant but believe things like that only come through negotiations with a players' union?
Yes. A deal like that must be collectively bargained or it will be invalidated in court.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I can't even imagine what it would be like to be a college student who just got paid a million bucks. It's one thing to be from a rich family and not need student loans and stuff, but to just be some 20-year-old living in a dorm or whatever and have that kind of cash is just absolutely insane.

And yes, I assume the Storrs of the world aren't going to be living in Foster-Walker or Willard, but instead in a really nice apartment or house close that is better than any place many of us have ever lived.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be a college student who just got paid a million bucks. It's one thing to be from a rich family and not need student loans and stuff, but to just be some 20-year-old living in a dorm or whatever and have that kind of cash is just absolutely insane.

And yes, I assume the Storrs of the world aren't going to be living in Foster-Walker or Willard, but instead in a really nice apartment or house close that is better than any place many of us have ever lived.
Hey, don't be knocking Willard. That place was a whole lot of fun in the mid 80s.

Probably better to just imagine them as pro basketball players whose responsibility involves some office work in showing up for class. Pro basketball players going to night school.

Trust me when I say that there’s nothing new about top athletes living it large in college. It’s just more above board now than it used to be.

And I don’t really see how it’s any different than a kid from a rich family living it large. A kid driving a Porsche is a kid driving a Porsche. And a kid living in a luxury condo is a kid living in a luxury condo. The only difference is that the athlete actually earned their money.

It was a whole lot of fun in the mid 2000s too. Lost Horizons got it done.
But by then the Frances Willard Party was probably kind of lame, and you've probably never even heard of the "Whip Me, Beat Me, Write on My Body" party. Just like PurpleCat88 probably my years (1989-1993) weren't as wild as when he was there.

But any Willardite is a friend of mine!

But by then the Frances Willard Party was probably kind of lame, and you've probably never even heard of the "Whip Me, Beat Me, Write on My Body" party. Just like PurpleCat88 probably my years (1989-1993) weren't as wild as when he was there.

But any Willardite is a friend of mine!
To be fair, the Frances Willard party was killed off entirely by the school shortly before I got there. My time at school was far tamer than a few years before me, but an insane rager compared to five years later.

To be fair, the Frances Willard party was killed off entirely by the school shortly before I got there. My time at school was far tamer than a few years before me, but an insane rager compared to five years later.
What I remember about my freshman year (and it was a good enough party that I don't remember much!) is that, let's say the party officially began at 8:00. We spent all day Saturday decorating our floor for the theme (I remember one theme was "leather is my favorite color"), and by about 6:00 or so, it's all been torn down because everyone is already drunk. By the time the party started officially, the whole building was completely trashed.

It was a lot of fun.

Reactions: drewjin
Willard Woo! I was there too. I still love Willard.
"Hey Willard, guess what, you suck!

Willard Sucks the Big Wazoo, Doo Dah, Doo Dah, Willard Sucks the Big Wazoo, all the Doodah Way!"

Thumpty Dump Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nigh bar anthem circa '76-'79

Storr had a really bad game against James Madison, a team that got blown out by Duke. He played well in the Big Ten tourney, but I wonder how he will perform with a target on his back which I think was the case in that game. These bidding wars are ridiculous.

• Sad
Storr has some talent for sure, but I'm not so sure I would want him. He was a serious ball hog and hurt Wisconsin at times with his shot selection. He reminded me in some ways of Audige, except without the world class defense.

Do they still do Dillo day?

Do they still do Dillo day?
If you call it Dillo Day, you're younger than me.
It is Armadillo Day. The logo is a curled up armadillo.

When my daughter tells me about "Dillo Day" it causes involuntary aortic twitching.

Nowadays its all about the musical performances. Several stages. An entity known as Offset was the headliner last year. It is all student run. They bill it as the largest student-run music festival in the country.

One of the first things Schill did at NU was cut funding for (Arma)dillo Day.
He may have eliminated the university's financial contribution entirely. If he hasn't, he will.
He's about as cool as an asphalt parking lot on a sunny day in August.

Last edited:

When my daughter tells me about "Dillo Day" it causes involuntary aortic twitching.

Nowadays its all about the musical performances. Several stages. An entity known as Offset was the headliner last year. It is all student run. They bill it as the largest student-run music festival in the country.

He may have eliminated the university's financial contribution entirely. If he hasn't, he will.
Ffs, of course this is what the current admin is doing. Morty was an only temporary reprieve from the 25 year long campaign against student life by the university.

Ffs, of course this is what the current admin is doing. Morty was an only temporary reprieve from the 25 year long campaign against student life by the university.
25??? As someone who started in the fall of '75 when "hi, I'm Bo Strotz" was President, I'll take the over on that.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
25??? As someone who started in the fall of '75 when "hi, I'm Bo Strotz" was President, I'll take the over on that.
Fair. I know what I know.

I thought Morty was a hero because he had the decency to open a weekend late night dining option on the north end of campus. Better than walking down to BK. Pretty damn good grilled cheese.

Tagged along with some friends to Morty's dinner a couple of nights before one of the Texas bowl games, probably the one in Dallas. Couldn't have been a nicer guy -- spent 15 minutes talking to me, some jamoke he'd never met who was only there because he was friends with C. Brennan. Food was great, bar was open. And I found out that Pat Ryan roomed with Warren Beatty in college. Game sucked as a I recall, but cop who stopped me on the drive home gave me a pass because we got beat!

Class of ‘92 then again ‘06

I was an ATO first time through. I only recall calling it dillo day. Vaguely recall a concert but mostly large scale outdoor frat party w booze, bbq, and wholesome fun…

Found this short story (linked below) on the origins of Armadillo Day.

No mention of the beer-chugging contest. One team of 4 versus another team of 4. Frats and dorms had teams. Done as a tournament. 16 ounce pours. If your guys can't get their beer down in 5 seconds each you're in trouble. Win and advance. Advance enough and teams start puking. Not sure when that competition was banned, but as a student I couldn't believe NU sanctioned it.

I was there in 1981 when Blues legend Muddy Waters played. The stage was set up in front of that wall at the south end of the lawn if you're looking out of Norris at the lagoon. The entire lawn was packed and the old man and his band did a phenomenal (free) show, with NU picking up the tab. I know he played "Mannish Boy." "Got My Mojo Workin'" "King Bee" and "Sweet Home Chicago." Waters stopped touring in 1982 and died in April 1983.

The Ramones played in 1983, as part of Armadillo Day, but they were at Cahn Auditorium. That show cost $1.

Oh yeah, memories. I think Theta Delt won the beer chugging contest 3 or my 4 years (I spectated only). Matt Overeem, a crazy 6'7" kid from Wyoming was amazing. He could just tilt his head back, open his throat and pour the been down. NU not only sanctioned the event (wasn't it the "Sigma Chi Chug for Charity?" but I recall John Pont out there serving as the starter! That Muddy Waters show was awesome -- had no idea at the time who he was or what he meant to music and the Blues. Robert Gordon's show the next year was nearly as good ("My girl is red hot, you're girl ain't doodly squat").

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Class of ‘92 then again ‘06

I was an ATO first time through. I only recall calling it dillo day. Vaguely recall a concert but mostly large scale outdoor frat party w booze, bbq, and wholesome fun…
What color were Otis Allan Glazebrook's eyes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT