ADVERTISEMENT

Allstate Thoughts

lunker35

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
I really can't wait to get back to Welsh Ryan. The place is far too big and it just doesn't have a good vibe. They should really make parking free and just start giving away tickets to these non conference games. They also closed all the concession stands with 10+ minutes in the second half. Not only was expensive, but I couldn't get a drink when I really wanted it. I'll trek out to most of the games, but overall I was bummed.

I really can't wait to get back to Welsh Ryan. The place is far too big and it just doesn't have a good vibe. They should really make parking free and just start giving away tickets to these non conference games. They also closed all the concession stands with 10+ minutes in the second half. Not only was expensive, but I couldn't get a drink when I really wanted it. I'll trek out to most of the games, but overall I was bummed.

The lighting also looks terrible on TV. Switching over from an NBA game to the Cats game (granted it was a terrible BTN feed). It was like going back in time. Even if it's just for a year, would have been nice if they would have upgraded the lighting at Allstate.

I think everyone can't wait to get back to W-R. It's a shame NU couldn't have replaced Patten or acquired land adjacent to campus (the old Kendall College site would have been perfect) to build a new arena (lower profile like Cameron Indoor, ~8k seats), and we could have played out this year as the final year at W-R, with momentum building for a brand new building. But alas that's not how it worked out. City of Evanston and neighbors would never allow it.

Pulling up the renderings every few months, to get excited about the new W-R. I hope they pack in seats everywhere they can fit them, and keep the roof as a material that reflects sound, rather that absorbs it. The place will rock.

Disclaimer: I am a casual fan of MBB, and I have not been there. But that never got in the way of a good rant.

None of this is a surprise. It is too big and too far from campus. It actually (and significantly) helps our opponents and their fans, as the drive is either easier or just as easy for most, and , of course, for those flying in, it is a piece of cake. And tickets will be virtually free.

Even if this team wins 30 games and makes it to the Elite 8, I feel genuinely bad for the team, having to play in a mausoleum, or, worse, essentially an away game for any B1G team with an avid following.

Whoever decided to use this venue needs to be kicked in the sack.

Reactions: lunker35
One thing that's noticeable at the courtside level is how cold the place feels. It may have something to do with the ice rink under the floor, but I could really feel the difference between AA and WR. Wondering if the players are affected at all by it.

Could the team’s relatively disappointing performance in the first 2 games be due to lack of familiarity with Allstate Arena rather than other factors ? If so, hopefully they will eventually adjust to the new surroundings.

NU destroyed St. Pete's on the boards. But turned the ball over like a grade school team.

Collins vision for this program is to be a premiere defensive team 40 minutes a game. Sanjay is gone and now Ash and Gaines are getting minutes. It's going to take some time to gel.

Allstate sucks, no two ways about it.

Could the team’s relatively disappointing performance in the first 2 games be due to lack of familiarity with Allstate Arena rather than other factors ? If so, hopefully they will eventually adjust to the new surroundings.
Don't both teams have the familiarity issue? Just not buying it.

Don't both teams have the familiarity issue? Just not buying it.
Yes but in some ways it is a whole season on a neutral court. Emotion is important and the players have to feel disappointed and ask themselves. "This is a home game?"

Disclaimer: I am a casual fan of MBB, and I have not been there. But that never got in the way of a good rant.

None of this is a surprise. It is too big and too far from campus. It actually (and significantly) helps our opponents and their fans, as the drive is either easier or just as easy for most, and , of course, for those flying in, it is a piece of cake. And tickets will be virtually free.

Even if this team wins 30 games and makes it to the Elite 8, I feel genuinely bad for the team, having to play in a mausoleum, or, worse, essentially an away game for any B1G team with an avid following.

It's possible we had no other options--or at least very few options. But playing in a much larger arena pretty distant from campus is certainly not preferable. During the last Welsh-Ryan renovation while I was at NU in the early 80s, we played our home games at DePaul's old gym. Sure, it was small, outdated, and a glorified high school gym. But it was easily accessible by L train and had a pressure-cooker environment. It was actually kind of a fun change of pace for a year. Allstate, not so much from the looks of it.

Not that it matters now, but I wonder if Loyola was ever seriously in play for this season.

... I feel genuinely bad for the team, having to play in a mausoleum, or, worse, essentially an away game for any B1G team with an avid following...

I wasn't at the game last night, but I actually thought the turnout for the first game was pretty reasonable for an NU crowd for a game against nobody.

The reported attendance was 6000+, but I think that was pumped up. I think the 4000s was more accurate.

And the student turnout wasn't much worse than usual.

In general, I'm already bored with hearing the bitching about the stadium. It is what it is.

This is a team that deserves/has earned better support. For most of the Chicago area, AA is no less convenient than the Welsh.

And the students had trouble showing up when the game was 15-30 mins away anyway so ... It's their world, I only cheer in it.

People should get off their asses and support this group. Quit adding another layer to the long list of excuses for a crappy fan base.

Last edited:

I agree that the Allstate is a dump and far too large for our purposes. However, we really didn't have any other options. I doubt DePaul would have let us share their new arena, even if we could get into the United Center we've already seen that our fans don't show up there either and it's even bigger, Loyola is too small, we're not going to play all the way out in Hoffman Estates... so where?

(And while the attendance on Friday wasn't bad, the attendance last night was laughable. 1500 would be a generous estimate, and there were maybe 15 students. Not that I expect people to pack the place for a Monday night game against St. Peter's, but still.)

It probably was our best option, and we just have to power through for this season, but you can certainly see why that arena destroyed DePaul basketball for decades. What an awful place to watch a game. Other than Willie, the band and the cheerleaders, I don't think there were more than 25 students there.

I wasn't at the game last night, but I actually thought the turnout for the first game was pretty reasonable for an NU crowd for a game against nobody.

The reported attendance was 6000+, but I think that was pumped up. I think the 4000s was more accurate.

And the student turnout wasn't much worse than usual.

In general, I'm already bored with hearing the bitching about the stadium. It is what it is.

This is a team that deserves/has earned better support. For most of the Chicago area, AA is no less convenient than the Welsh.

And the students had trouble showing up when the game was 15-30 mins away anyway so ... It's their world, I only cheer in it.

People should get off their asses and support this group. Quit adding another layer to the long list of excuses for a crappy fan base.
Listen I'll be at more games than most on this board. My point is even know the place sucks there are ways to improve it. Why close the concession stands midway through the second half? Also because there is not a free parking option that might turn away a lot of people. On top of that their parking people are incompetent. They directed us to park on the complete opposite end of the entrance which was awful to walk around the stadium with a three year old in the freezing cold. There were a ton of open spots right by the main entrance and they should have been sending all cars there. Overall just improve some of the easy common sense type things. The ushers were cold and not welcoming and they keep the curtains closed during play, so you have to open them yourself to get back into your seat. I always knew I loved Welsh Ryan, but last night just reaffirmed it.

Unfortunately the AllState Arena experience has been every bit as bad as I feared it would be. Even for Friday's game, which was a decent sized crowd for a no-name opponent, the arena felt empty. Maybe they should close the balcony and move everyone to the main level. Hopefully we'll turn out some more people for bigger games, like tomorrow night, but we'll probably be out-numbered 2 or 3 to 1 for a few conference games. Can't wait! They could have played last night's game at ETHS and it would have been a great atmosphere.

Actually it's the so called NU fans that need the kicking. They didn't come at W-R until the end of last season either. If they have four or five thousand ST holders, then where the hell were they. Or how about the purple seat folks, guess they are waiting for next season or don't have friends who could use their tickets. The students will come, they packed the place when NU played ND and DePaul there in the NIT.

I heard it was. Loyola wouldn't allow it.
Really, you would think that they could use the extra cash. I thought someone said that the seating capacity was to small. 5,000? Wonder if the UIC arena was considered?

Listen I'll be at more games than most on this board. My point is even know the place sucks there are ways to improve it. Why close the concession stands midway through the second half? Also because there is not a free parking option that might turn away a lot of people. On top of that their parking people are incompetent. They directed us to park on the complete opposite end of the entrance which was awful to walk around the stadium with a three year old in the freezing cold. There were a ton of open spots right by the main entrance and they should have been sending all cars there. Overall just improve some of the easy common sense type things. The ushers were cold and not welcoming and they keep the curtains closed during play, so you have to open them yourself to get back into your seat. I always knew I loved Welsh Ryan, but last night just reaffirmed it.

They should absolutely not charge $15 for parking. Were I a casual fan, that alone would cause me enough outrage to not want to return for another game.

But what other venue is feasible? Loyola for the nonconference games, but it wouldn't cut it for the Big Ten games. Sears Centre? If you can't get the students to Rosemont, good luck with Hoffman Estates. Same with downtown/UIC Pavillion.

I hate Allstate Arena. Probably more than anybody. Yes. I'd be fine with playing ALL games at Loyola this year. Raze Allstate Arena and salt the earth. But that was never going to fly for the Big Ten games this season, so realistically, where else could the 'Cats play?

I miss the WR scoreboards, Can't even see player points and fouls from half the stadium. The stadium was designed for something else. Not great for BB.

Reactions: EagerFan
It's Rosemont and they charge for parking whenever they can

What were the choices? Not a whole lot of viable alternatives

The lighting also looks terrible on TV. Switching over from an NBA game to the Cats game (granted it was a terrible BTN feed). It was like going back in time. Even if it's just for a year, would have been nice if they would have upgraded the lighting at Allstate.

I think everyone can't wait to get back to W-R. It's a shame NU couldn't have replaced Patten or acquired land adjacent to campus (the old Kendall College site would have been perfect) to build a new arena (lower profile like Cameron Indoor, ~8k seats), and we could have played out this year as the final year at W-R, with momentum building for a brand new building. But alas that's not how it worked out. City of Evanston and neighbors would never allow it.

Pulling up the renderings every few months, to get excited about the new W-R. I hope they pack in seats everywhere they can fit them, and keep the roof as a material that reflects sound, rather that absorbs it. The place will rock.
Thank the city fathers for that. They rezoned the land so it could not happen

One thing that's noticeable at the courtside level is how cold the place feels. It may have something to do with the ice rink under the floor, but I could really feel the difference between AA and WR. Wondering if the players are affected at all by it.
Think that leads to cold shooting? Or problems handling the ball?

Maybe they miss that exhibition game.

It is a huge place by comparison to WR and the heat generators that are fans have a much bigger arena to heat up

I think there are a coupe of free options for limited numbers but you are taking a chance. Rosemont is a money gouging town sticking people up for parking every chance they get.

There isn't any parking on the North side. Best options are to park on West side but that is a still a bit of a walk. Go in through the S gate and at least you are walking around inside. Don't have to walk around outside.

They should absolutely not charge $15 for parking. Were I a casual fan, that alone would cause me enough outrage to not want to return for another game.
They charge it because they can and it is not likely it is NU. Rosemont is a bunch of thieves. They charge for parking everywhere. Go to a hotel for a conference, pay lot. Shop pay lot. Allstate Arena.... At least with a parking pass it brings it down to $10. And isn't $15 about what NU charges in their lots? I think I heard there are a couple free alternatives in lots not likely to be towed but...

What were the choices? Not a whole lot of viable alternatives
Not sure if it would be allowed, but I think even ETHS/New Trier would be better for the team.

What I hadn't thought of, as posted above, is that it is probably no worse for most Chicagoland fans. Hadn't thought of that. Can you walk there from the blue line stop at Rosemont?

What are non revenue sports doing?

What I hadn't thought of, as posted above, is that it is probably no worse for most Chicagoland fans. Hadn't thought of that. Can you walk there from the blue line stop at Rosemont?

No, but there's an express bus from the stop that runs on game nights.

They charge it because they can and it is not likely it is NU. Rosemont is a bunch of thieves. They charge for parking everywhere. Go to a hotel for a conference, pay lot. Shop pay lot. Allstate Arena.... At least with a parking pass it brings it down to $10. And isn't $15 about what NU charges in their lots? I think I heard there are a couple free alternatives in lots not likely to be towed but...
Sure Rosemont has a poor reputation, regarding it's politics and policies but I can't think of an arena, stadium or ballpark that doesn't charge for parking. hey maybe we can get NU to make the west lot free for football games. All in favor...

But what other venue is feasible? Loyola for the nonconference games, but it wouldn't cut it for the Big Ten games. Sears Centre? If you can't get the students to Rosemont, good luck with Hoffman Estates. Same with downtown/UIC Pavillion.

I hate Allstate Arena. Probably more than anybody. Yes. I'd be fine with playing ALL games at Loyola this year. Raze Allstate Arena and salt the earth. But that was never going to fly for the Big Ten games this season, so realistically, where else could the 'Cats play?
Do you really think that playing at the Pavilion would be a problem for the students. It does have very good public transportation almost to it's front door.

Seats are comfortable and close to the floor, hopefully big crowd shows up Wednesday, a bigger and more vocal crowd could really help the team!

Do you really think that playing at the Pavilion would be a problem for the students. It does have very good public transportation almost to it's front door.
Yeah, but it's still not exactly a short commute. Most students can't even be bothered to show up at W-R.

Not sure I've ever paid at Welsh-Ryan. It's easy enough to find street parking a few blocks away, or park in one of the university lots free after 4 and take the shuttle.

Reactions: Fitz51
That's a long haul on the train (you have to transfer). Shuttles to Allstate much faster. Also, playing dates would be an issue at either UIC or Loyola. Hopefully, big crowds will show up for Big Ten games and we'll forget about this discussion. Early season games draw sparse crowds at a lot of college venues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT